threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
0xC0DE

Re: ABUG SOUTH 24 to 26 January 2020 (Hampshire) BOOKING THREAD

Post by 0xC0DE »

Oddly specific :lol:
0xC0DE
"I program my home computer / Beam myself into the future"
:arrow: Follow me on Twitter
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Both accurate and precise, I'm sure. And, according to Google, about 3kg of Cheesy Wotsits. That's a lot.
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

I can only speak on my behalf but suffice to say I try my hardest not to over-indulge in unhealthy snacks, and I don't like unnecessary waste, so here's a suggestion.

Reduce the number of unhealthy snacks and bring some fresh fruit. A bunch of bananas, some apples, pears, grapes, satsumas or similar, you know, the sort of things that can be eaten fairly easily without struggling with cutting boards and sharp knives. You don't have to go overboard, a punnet/bag of each would likely be enough.

I'll gladly sit there during the day munching fruit, and you'd have less to take home with you after the event.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

With respect to the snacks, to be fair, I imagine it’s rather tricky to get the quantity of the various soft drinks and snacks right. Each meet-up has a different make up of members. So the take up will vary. Being in an establishment where there are large amounts of good food and drink available will also have an effect!

I agree that some fruit would be good, but the shelf life on fruit is considerably less than on the ‘unhealthy’ snacks. So it’s even harder to judge the right quantity.

Overall, the organisers do a wonderful job. So I leave it to their discretion :D

Mark
helpful

Post by helpful »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:29 pm At the end of the last ABUG, there were a considerable number of snacks left over. I had indicated at the time that I would keep these and bring them to the next ABUG. For various reasons, I now realise that is likely to prove impractical.
You've eaten them all? :lol:

I've still got the pack of sugar cubes which (if I remember) I'll bring with me.

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

When doing computery stuff I prefer snacks that don't leave detritus on your hands/fingers. So not those cheezy things covered in dust, not satsumas where you end up with zest on your fingers. I tend to find cheese sandwiches my "healthy" snack of choice when coding.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

jgharston wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:58 pm When doing computery stuff I prefer snacks that don't leave detritus on your hands/fingers. So not those cheezy things covered in dust, not satsumas where you end up with zest on your fingers. I tend to find cheese sandwiches my "healthy" snack of choice when coding.
I don’t have your name down yet. Do you know if you can come?
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:18 am
jgharston wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:58 pm When doing computery stuff I prefer snacks that don't leave detritus on your hands/fingers. So not those cheezy things covered in dust, not satsumas where you end up with zest on your fingers. I tend to find cheese sandwiches my "healthy" snack of choice when coding.
I don’t have your name down yet. Do you know if you can come?
I used up three days leave with some nonsense last week, I theoretically don't have any more leave until February. It's currently too "maybe" for me to commit at the mo.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
Y84485TYSO

Post by Y84485TYSO »

Hi all
I’m coming to mingle and learn. I’m a newbie too.

I have had set up an Econet a few years ago with the help of Beebmaster.
Looking forward to it.
VMSZealot

Post by VMSZealot »

I’d like to come, if possible, mainly to get advice on my poorly beeb, and to meet interesting fellow old computer enthusiasts. (Now that I’ve been forced to get rid of my classic car, my old computers are my main hobby!)

Presumably I don’t need to book a table? Do I just rock up? How much just to attend - assuming that there’s still room…
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

VMSZealot wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:01 pm I’d like to come, if possible, mainly to get advice on my poorly beeb, and to meet interesting fellow old computer enthusiasts. (Now that I’ve been forced to get rid of my classic car, my old computers are my main hobby!)

Presumably I don’t need to book a table? Do I just rock up? How much just to attend - assuming that there’s still room…
So, taking each issue in turn
  • We are not 'old'. :wink:
  • We hope to have a table available for everyone, but a very small number may need to share a table.
  • If you want advice on your poorly Beeb, you will at least need a bit of a table for the Beeb and a monitor.
  • Has the PSU in your Beeb been recapped?
  • The cost of attendance is £15 for the whole weekend. This covers the cost of room hire, plus tea, coffee, soft drinks and snacks.
  • If you want to stay at the hotel, it is £58 in total for two nights B&B (using the booking code).
  • There are just two places left. (Or one now that I have added your name.) :D
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
VMSZealot

Post by VMSZealot »

I don’t have a monitor - and the TV is too big to tag along - hopefully though someone can help me diagnose the problem without a monitor (or loan one for the diagnosis!)

So, at £15, it’s a snip. See you there!
flynnjs

Post by flynnjs »

Weeeellll, I wasn't going to come to this one (a bit too close to the previous outing) but
there is a table hanging on there and needs filling.... so I've booked a room anyway :mrgreen:
See you January!
Prime

Re: ABUG SOUTH 24 to 26 January 2020: NOW FULL (but taking names for reserve list)

Post by Prime »

Right Hotel booked!

I'll see you all later in the month....

Cheers.

Phill.
JudgeBeeb

Re: ABUG SOUTH 24 to 26 January 2020: NOW FULL (but taking names for reserve list)

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Payment for attendance is now due. Given what I have leftover in the kitty and the number of people attending, I have decided to reduce the cost to £10.

This covers the cost of room hire; as many unhealthy (and maybe a small number of healthy) snacks as you can eat; and virtually bottomless non-alcoholic drinks.

I will shortly be sending everyone a PM with my PayPal email address. Please can you send me £10 using the "Sending to a friend or to family" option. Prompt payment would be greatly appreciated as chasing for payment is not much fun.

[Arcadian and cmorley, I will refund the excess you have paid.]
Prime

Post by Prime »

Does anyone that is coming to the meetup want a Compaq V710 CRT, SVGA monitor?

It's a 17" FST tube that will do up to 1600x1200, specs available here :

https://www.cnet.com/products/compaq-v7 ... 17-series/

Basically this is free of charge, if no one that is coming to the show wants it but someone else on here does, then they can have it on condition that they collect, I'm not posting this thing!

It was working last time I used it a couple of years ago, but if there's any interest I'll plug it in and test just to make sure.

Cheers.

Phill.
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

I'm interested! (and coming to ABUG)
0xC0DE
:arrow: Visit my YouTube channel featuring my games and demos for Acorn Electron and BBC Micro
roland

Post by roland »

Are you going by car and ferry? I cannot image that this monitor fits in your hand luggage :lol:
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
0xC0DE

Post by 0xC0DE »

roland wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:23 am Are you going by car and ferry? I cannot image that this monitor fits in your hand luggage :lol:
Haha, yeah going by car and ferry. My wife and I decided to take this opportunity and make a mini vacation without the kids out of it!
0xC0DE
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

I have a dozen SMD antistatic foam boxes chips came in I don't need. Anyone want some I can bring them to the ABUG?
gidandridge

Post by gidandridge »

cmorley wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:29 pm I have a dozen SMD antistatic foam boxes chips came in I don't need. Anyone want some I can bring them to the ABUG?
Yes please! I could do with a few. I have some spare IC's pushed into some packing foam wrapped in kitchen foil. Those sound like an upgrade. :)
Gav. :D

BBC Model B Sidewise ROM Board, GoSDC, Datacentre, Hybrid Music 5000
Acorn Electron Plus 1, AP6, GoSDC, Slogger Pegasus 400
JudgeBeeb

Re: ABUG SOUTH 24 to 26 January 2020: MORE PLACES AVAILABLE

Post by JudgeBeeb »

There are now some places available again. If you would like to attend but have not put your name down, please PM me (or post below).
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Over the Christmas period I engaged in some cognitive soldering therapy. As a consequence I now have 5 of hoglet's excellent RGB to HDMI boards which are superfluous to requirements.

These boards are fully assembled with the CPLD programmed and include the brass spacers and screws. To make them work, you will also need a Pi Zero, with header pins soldered onto the board, a micro SD card and to make up, or acquire, the custom Molex to DIN video cable.

The boards are free to ABUG attendees on a first come first serve basis.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Door prizes! Excellent, and very generous.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:21 pm The boards are free to ABUG attendees on a first come first serve basis.
Just as well that I have a meeting (in Exeter) on Thursday now replacing the training course that I was scheduled to attend (was ending on Friday), so I should be able to arrive on Friday afternoon (or maybe earlier) now :D

Mark
derek

Post by derek »

Hi,

I was going attend, but due to other circumstances, I do not have any transport.

Unless anyone can give me lift from Runcorn/Liverpool/Manchester.

And the looks to be only rooms at the full rate left.
Regards,

Derek
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

derek wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:51 pm Hi,

I was going attend, but due to other circumstances, I do not have any transport.

Unless anyone can give me lift from Runcorn/Liverpool/Manchester.

And the looks to be only rooms at the full rate left.
You can do it by train: Runcorn to Birmingham New Street; Birmingham New Street to Reading; Reading to Blackwater. But it does take about 4 hours. If you did decide to do it by train, I am running pickups from the station.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Also, although the TWIXMAS19 code no longer works, WINSALE19 does and is still very cheap.
derek

Post by derek »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:35 pm Also, although the TWIXMAS19 code no longer works, WINSALE19 does and is still very cheap.
I tried the new code no rooms at that promo code.

The train price is too expensive, so I will have to negoiate with the wife to use the car.

I will have drive down on Saturday for 1 day and drive back the same night.

I have a couple things to sell:

Watford Electronics Monitor Stand with twin 5.25"Switchable 40/80 track disc drives.
Beeb monitor stand

Can pay for one day only?
Regards,

Derek
Prime

Post by Prime »

0xC0DE wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:13 pm I'm interested! (and coming to ABUG)
Right just given the monitor a quick check and it still seems to be working fine.

So if you are still interested I'll bring it with me.

Cheers.

Phill.

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”