Re: ABUG Canada West Oct 19 2019 Meetup #15

threads for previous physical ABug events held in Canada
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Hi Folks,

Once again the ABUG Canada West meeting happened in Squamish. It was a rather nice, if not cool day for the event. We decided to hold it inside....oh wait, it's not an outdoor club.....glad that's been straightened out!

Ok, so we had a lot of fun today but from Ed's point of view, I didn't really accomplish a ton but Paul on the other hand had a really productive day. He'll tell you all about it though I will touch on one item.

Welcome to Squamish Paul..... and...... what's in the back of your car?
Paul's new vehicle made the trip successfully.
Paul's new vehicle made the trip successfully.
The items that made the trek to the hinterlands of Squamish.
The items that made the trek to the hinterlands of Squamish.
Item 1 - Paul wanted to better his score for Sorcery so he played.....and played.....and played....and we'll see the outcome shortly.
We had both stepped away from our computers for a moment to view something on the RISC machines.
We had both stepped away from our computers for a moment to view something on the RISC machines.
Paul endevouring to master (not as in Beeb Master, though he is playing on a Compact) Sorcery.
Paul endevouring to master (not as in Beeb Master, though he is playing on a Compact) Sorcery.
Paul in action - https://youtu.be/w1rzYoZWUPA
Finally, a new personal high score......
Way to go Paul.  There is nothing better than bettering ones own previous high score in a game.
Way to go Paul. There is nothing better than bettering ones own previous high score in a game.
Paul needed ADFFS to get some games to work (from JASPP site)
Paul needed ADFFS to get some games to work (from JASPP site)
One thing we got accomplished was getting ADFFS onto Paul's RISC machine and then showing him how to use it to run JASPP games. He has RISC OS 4 so don't know how many of those will work but I suspect quite a few should as Jon has put instructions as to what should or shouldn't work on his site.
I had hoped to finish making a new battery connector end for this poorly rusted at terminal end....not done yet.
I had hoped to finish making a new battery connector end for this poorly rusted at terminal end....not done yet.
When I got this (and I was aware of it's condition) the battery terminal on one side was very rusty and needs to be replaced. My intent was to build a new one. I got started but not very far. I got distracted with some other thing and it never quite happened but it will. It should be a reasonably easy fix though fiddly. The other thing I did on this was take the rusty spring off. I want to completely clean it and figured that was probably the only way. When I got this, there was a lot of battery crud on the plastics and it took me a good 20 minutes to clear it all away.
I was testing out my BeebSid on an old 0.9 DFS Beeb.  For some reason, though it had been working before on a different Beeb, it just made the Beeb give a long beep.
I was testing out my BeebSid on an old 0.9 DFS Beeb. For some reason, though it had been working before on a different Beeb, it just made the Beeb give a long beep.
I needed a 1Mhz cable so was borrowing it from this DC to use with it. For some reason it didn't work on the Beeb I used....strange.
As usual all good things must come to an end.
As usual all good things must come to an end.
I just want to thank Paul for the printer cable he brought me and a nice little card for the Master for a couple of ROMs. After we had finished our ABUG meeting, we went to supper at an East Indian restaurant, Paul's treat so thank you for that too Paul. it was very good.

One last thing, Paul made a side trip for me to pick up a mouse for my other RISC machine so now I don't have to swap back and forth between them which is really nice. Thanks again Paul.

I'm sure Paul has more to add to this.....so, you're up Paul.
Last edited by KarateEd on Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
roland

Re: ABUG Canada West Nov 19 2019 Meetup #15

Post by roland »

You two guys have more fun and more Acorn equipment than the five of us every first Friday of the month :lol: However I am looking to start a new retro-group in my area. Not just Acorn computers but also other computers. When the time is right I'll start a new topic.

Thank you for sharing and showing us that small meetings are also fun =D>
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
Kazzie

Post by Kazzie »

It's always great to read about what you get up to, but I was disappointed not to find any details about the time machine you used during the event.

(It's still October on my calendar. ;))
BBC Model B 32K issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM, ZIDEFS with 512MB CF card
RiscPC 600 under repair
Acorn System 1 home-made replica
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Usually we're behind in tome zones here, so nice to know we can jump ahead in Western Canada sometimes! :lol:
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Wow - can't believe we're up to meetup #15! As Ed said, it was sunny and chilly in Squamish (apparently it rained all day in Vancouver! :lol: ).
As I entered Ed's house I was greeted by music playing from his A7000+, to which he'd hooked up speakers. Note to self: try out my A7000+ with speakers!! :D

First up for me was improving my High Score Challenge on Sorcery, the current game. With Ed's guidance I surprised myself, although I haven't been spending too much time on the HSC due to working on other Acorn projects - so much to do! :D

Next up was using ADFFS and the JASPP site to put all the files on my A7000+. Ed used his Omnibus rack mounted A7000+ to copy over ADFFS, and then we used his CDR to copy all the game files - this saved me a lot of time downloading. We then tested Botkiller 2 which worked well once we'd used !Sparkplug and ADFFS to boot the game. Once I'd worked out the lift controls I achieved level 2 then got stuck! I remember my Grade 2 pupils 10 years ago getting far in the game - I obviously need a lot more practice!
IMG_4624.JPG
Botkiller 2 on the A7000+
IMG_4621.JPG
2 X A7000+ - twice the fun!

I was keen to show Ed my Concept Keyboard, for which I'd made my own User Port cable. I used my Master Compact to which I'd added my own User Port - this took me a while to research and complete, but I'm very happy with the result. Now I need to find all that old educational s/w that used the Concept Keyboard!
IMG_4644.JPG
Master Compact with the Concept Keyboard
IMG_4582.jpg
Internal cabling for the Master Compact User Port
IMG_4586.JPG
External User Port on the Master Compact

Ed had asked me to bring the Pocketbook he gave me a while back. I'd mentioned that I'd pulled a wire so he suggested we investigate. So glad he said that - turned out to be an easy battery cable fix which I completed that evening. I also turned round the Acorn key that had been put back upside down by a previous owner (why would you do that?!!) So the Pocketbook is back in full operation!
IMG_4632.JPG
One broken wire!
IMG_4635.JPG
Fixed!
IMG_4636.JPG
It's alive - but with an upside down Acorn key!

Once again, a fun-filled Acorn day, finished off with a great curry at the Essence of India - highly recommended! Thanks Ed for Xara software, now installed on my 2003 Win XP PC! =D>

Now I'm off to vote in our General Election; here's a thought ...... maybe there'll be a UK General Election soon!!
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
tricky

Post by tricky »

I'm always please and amazed that you two seem to achieve more that an entire ABUG UK, but maybe I'm the only one that never eggs anything done :O
roland

Post by roland »

At ABUG UK there are more visitors who distract you :lol:
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Kazzie wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:27 pm It's always great to read about what you get up to, but I was disappointed not to find any details about the time machine you used during the event.

(It's still October on my calendar. ;))
Seems to have fixed itself, as if by magic.... :^o
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.

Return to “past physical ABug events (Canada)”