ABUG SOUTH 22 to 24 November 2019 - NOW FULL

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
JudgeBeeb

Re: ABUG SOUTH 22 to 24 November 2019 - NOW FULL - but accepting names for reserve list

Post by JudgeBeeb »

jgharston wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:47 pm I've been thrown another ball to juggle, so I'm going to have to pull out of ABUG South, so there's a place free.

After missing two, I'm more determined to get to the next one.

Judge: Keep the deposit, add it to the kitty.
I am really sorry that you can't make it. You will be missed. I very. much hope that you can make the one in January.
loudscotsbloke wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:04 pm
JudgeBeeb wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:52 pm
loudscotsbloke wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:34 pm OK, cheers. I appreciate that I am a but late to the party.
I am very reluctant to turn away a newcomer. So I will do my very best to squeeze you in. Let's see how things are closer to the time.
Thank you!
loudscotsbloke, I've moved you onto the main list and sent you a PM about payment.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
JudgeBeeb

Re: ABUG SOUTH 22 to 24 November 2019 - NOW FULL - but accepting names for reserve list

Post by JudgeBeeb »

There is still one room left at the hotel and the WIN19SALE code is working again. So this room can be had for £75 in total inclusive of breakfast.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

jgharston wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:47 pm I've been thrown another ball to juggle, so I'm going to have to pull out of ABUG South, so there's a place free.

After missing two, I'm more determined to get to the next one.

Judge: Keep the deposit, add it to the kitty.
Shame you can't make it either.

I was told by our bricklayer that he's coming for one more day, either the Saturday or the Sunday (depending on the weather) during that weekend, so I'm glad I let you know sooner rather than later. At least it gave you plenty of time to consider someone else.

If there's still a slight possibility of me dropping in on one of the days just to say hi, would that be ok?
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

SimonSideburns wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:25 pm If there's still a slight possibility of me dropping in on one of the days just to say hi, would that be ok?
Yes!
helpful

Post by helpful »

If we get our timings right, MattH and I will both be arriving at Fleet station at 15:18 on the Friday. Can someone give us a lift to the hotel?

Thanks,
Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

helpful wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:30 am If we get our timings right, MattH and I will both be arriving at Fleet station at 15:18 on the Friday. Can someone give us a lift to the hotel?
I should be able to do this.

I am also planning to do a pick-up from Blackwater station at 17:52. So if that is of assistance to anyone else, please let me know.
helpful

Post by helpful »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:24 pmI should be able to do this.
Thanks. Will give you a call on the day when we are getting close.
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
MattH

Post by MattH »

helpful wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:50 pm
JudgeBeeb wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:24 pmI should be able to do this.
Thanks. Will give you a call on the day when we are getting close.
Many thanks for offering to do this.
iwasjafa

Post by iwasjafa »

I don't want to book a table but I might be able to visit on Saturday to meet people. Is that OK?
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

iwasjafa wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:39 pm I don't want to book a table but I might be able to visit on Saturday to meet people. Is that OK?
If you are going to do no more than 'pop your head around the door and say hi' I cannot see any problem.

However, if you are going to spend a few hours there, there are a couple of points. First, I think it only fair that you make a small contribution to the kitty.

Secondly, and more significantly, I am getting a little anxious about the number of people who will be there on the Saturday. We do have a fair bit of space and it may not be a problem. But you need to be aware that we may not have the space/seating for you to sit down with people and have a proper look at/get involved with their projects and kit.

I hope that sounds fair.
iwasjafa

Post by iwasjafa »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:38 pm
iwasjafa wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:39 pm I don't want to book a table but I might be able to visit on Saturday to meet people. Is that OK?
However, if you are going to spend a few hours there, there are a couple of points. First, I think it only fair that you make a small contribution to the kitty.
I am intending to spend a couple of hours there so I assumed there would be an entry charge! I take your point about lack of seating but, having just joined this forum, I would still be interested in meeting other members. I would probably get there about midday, so if it is OK could you pm me with the payment details. Thanks.
loudscotsbloke

Post by loudscotsbloke »

loudscotsbloke wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:04 pm
JudgeBeeb wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:52 pm
I am very reluctant to turn away a newcomer. So I will do my very best to squeeze you in. Let's see how things are closer to the time.
Thank you!
loudscotsbloke, I've moved you onto the main list and sent you a PM about payment.
[/quote]

Thank you. Payment sent. Sorry for the short delay. I wasn't getting email notifications (now corrected!). I can bring a few machines, so could I reserve a table please? Thanks.
BeebMaster

Re: ABUG SOUTH 22 to 24 November 2019 - NOW FULL

Post by BeebMaster »

Just a week to go, so I'm starting to think about what to bring.

I think there's probably only going to be table space for one full machine setup at a time so I plan to bring my workhorse Master Turbo (Station 114) with dual 5.25" floppy drives, BeebSCSI and PiTube as the main setup. I can also bring a dual set of 3.5" drives and we could probably then cobble together any combination of 3.5" and 5.25" drives for copying/archiving if that would be of use.

I'd like to look at the experience I've been having with BeebSCSI giving me odd errors, and PiTube not loading/saving correctly when an ARM co-processor is used with ANFS, and see how it compares with what others are finding.

I think I will bring the issue 2 Beeb as well, and the Tesco Cheese Biscuits Wedge.

Also I'll bring my Raspberry Pi 4 to see if anyone can fathom why it will only work correctly when it has something powered at the end of an HDMI port.

Hopefully we can have an Econet going, so I will bring a tangle of wired up socket boxes which will generate hours of fun from Friday afternoon to Sunday morning eliminating the cross-wire stopping the network from functioning.

I've nearly finished a new BASIC version of *VIEW to replace the one I wrote about 15 years ago and have lost, so it'll be good to try that out.

If anybody fancies a repair challenge, I have an unparallelled array of dead kit. There's at least one MDFS and an A3010, all very green, and also my A305.

I am informed by the BeebMater that there is a possibility of cake - would a fruity tea loaf suit?
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Everyone has now paid. Thank you for doing so so promptly.

I am now declaring the event definitively full. Unless someone drops out, there is no capacity for anyone else, even people who just want to casually drop-in.
SimonSideburns wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:25 pm If there's still a slight possibility of me dropping in on one of the days just to say hi, would that be ok?
Simon, I have put your name down as the final person on the list. If you do manage to drop by, as with others who are only attending for a short period of time, you will need to make a small contribution to the kitty. Given that your attendance, even briefly, remains uncertain, there is no need to pay now. You can just pay on the day.
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:22 pm Everyone has now paid. Thank you for doing so so promptly.

I am now declaring the event definitively full. Unless someone drops out, there is no capacity for anyone else, even people who just want to casually drop-in.
Simon, I have put your name down as the final person on the list. If you do manage to drop by, as with others who are only attending for a short period of time, you will need to make a small contribution to the kitty. Given that your attendance, even briefly, remains uncertain, there is no need to pay now. You can just pay on the day.
Sure, that would be most agreeable with me.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
IanS

Post by IanS »

BeebMaster wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:18 pm I think there's probably only going to be table space for one full machine setup at a time
That's not my understandimg, there should be a full table each, so room for at least two, maybe 3 machines.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

IanS wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:51 pm
BeebMaster wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:18 pm I think there's probably only going to be table space for one full machine setup at a time
That's not my understandimg, there should be a full table each, so room for at least two, maybe 3 machines.
We have 31 confirmed attendees (although there are at least 2 'no kitters' and not everyone will be present all the time) and there are 26 tables each of which is 6ft long. I am hoping that a couple of people will bring extra tables with them and, if needs be, we have access to circular tables (although these are not ideal for what we do).

So, as Ian says, there will be a full table each (or possibly just one or two people having to share).
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

To confirm - I'll be bringing a table . . .

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

There are four folding trestles available that were at the old Bolton ABug venue. If I were to bring them all there wouldn't be any room in my boot for anything else - is there anybody travelling from the North West that could take/return a table to the event?
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
roland

Post by roland »

Robert, here are the name badges. Enjoy the meeting!
Attachments
ABUG Name Badges nov-2019.pdf
This file is password protected. Don't bother downloading it :)
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
IanS

Post by IanS »

roland wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:29 am This file is password protected.
Why?
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

IanS wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:51 am
roland wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:29 am This file is password protected.
Why?
To give us the challenge of cracking Roland's password of course!
roland

Post by roland »

Yes, try to crack it :mrgreen:

It's just a (bad) habit of me to protect documents on the web with other peoples name in it. In this case it doesn't matter a lot because all the names are already listed somewhere in this topic.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Apparently six people can’t read...
E2E023A6-2796-4547-A43D-3F4177D7049A.jpeg
:lol:

Mark
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Thanks for doing these roland. It is of great assistance. Am I right in understanding that jbnbeeb has the lanyards and pouches from Cambridge?
roland

Post by roland »

1024MAK wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:01 pm Apparently six people can’t read...
I think they can read, just that they don't...
JudgeBeeb wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:44 pm Thanks for doing these roland. It is of great assistance. Am I right in understanding that jbnbeeb has the lanyards and pouches from Cambridge?
That's correct. He has the lanyards and pouches.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Right with less than a week to go, anything anyone wants me to bring?

Already bringing Issue 5 Atom board & keyswitches for JudgeBeeb.

Arcadian, do you still want those C64s I offered you, if so shall I bring them?

Anything else anyone wants me to bring along?

Cheers.

Phill.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Anyone who is planning to work on any electronics or the like is advised to bring a desk lamp as the lighting in the room is not terribly bright.
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:35 am Anyone who is planning to work on any electronics or the like is advised to bring a desk lamp as the lighting in the room is not terribl[e]y bright.
There FTFY.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

I'll bring the lanyards with me.. I should be arriving Friday afternoon.
Thanks for creating the inserts once again Roland
roland wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:51 pm
1024MAK wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:01 pm Apparently six people can’t read...
I think they can read, just that they don't...
JudgeBeeb wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:44 pm Thanks for doing these roland. It is of great assistance. Am I right in understanding that jbnbeeb has the lanyards and pouches from Cambridge?
That's correct. He has the lanyards and pouches.

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”