Any Events or Meetings in Scotland

listings of other non-ABug events, proposals relating to unconfirmed events and general event chat
Rfairman

Any Events or Meetings in Scotland

Post by Rfairman »

Are there Any Events or Meetings in Scotland? Acorn in general or BBC B in particular
I live in Alexandria but can easily get to Glasgow
JudgeBeeb

Re: Any Events or Meetings in Scotland

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I don't think that there have been any events in Scotland in the last few years.

At the moment, the only regular (8-bit focussed) events are in Cambridge and in Camberley in Surrey. We used to have regular events in the Midlands and in the North. At present, however, there doesn't seem to be anyone willing to take on the organisation of such events.

I don't know how much interest there would be in an event in Scotland. If there was, the real issue would be someone volunteering to organise it.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
tricky

Post by tricky »

The guys I'm Canada seem to have fun with their two person ABUG, so maybe you could start small.
sydney

Post by sydney »

As JudgeBeeb has said the problem is getting someone to organise it. I'm in Newcastle but I've organised a few in Bolton and Halifax. Right now and for the forseeable future I just don't have the time to organise one, in fact I don't even have the time to attend one. If you can get a venue there really isn't much work involved in organising one.
One issue in a Scottish event would be the distances involved for most of the 'regular' attendees. Even for me Glasgow is 150 miles and Edinburgh 120 miles. I reckon most people are south of Leeds which adds a minimum of 100+ miles. If you are interested in organising an event something that might work better, and something that I looked into doing in Newcastle, would be a multiformat retro event which could attract more local attendees from Commodore, Atari, Sinclair etc groups.
SpicyNikNaks

Post by SpicyNikNaks »

I live just north of Glasgow (Bearsden) and would also be interested in any meet-ups nearby. Happy to travel too - within reason.
Computers: BBC Model A, Several model B's, Model B+ 64K, Master with 65C102 CoPro, Apple II Europlus with Twin Drives, Several ZX Spectrums, Several ZX81s Accessories: 6502 2nd Processor, 32016 2nd Processor, Teletext Adapter, Micron Eprom Programmer
Natbud

Post by Natbud »

I live Bishopbriggs - happy to connect with others into Beeb etc. I'm into Repton these days, have been using streaks Repton Overture, and have started making the old Repton 1 maps for it - wondered if anyone else had already done this though / or other maps and am wasting my time?
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Three people is enough for a mini-meetup! And Glasgow is famous for curry houses so I think you're all set. There's a lot of chat to be had, as well as bench work, so you can look for that kind of venue after you've successfully got together. Maybe one of you already has a suitable space...
mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc »

My 14x10 shed should be going up soon and plan for it to eventually be for multi use... Band PA, retro computing and normal storage (though will be a while till insulated and properly comfy inside).
MM5XT

Post by MM5XT »

I'm based in Glasgow, would be great to attend such a meet.

Mike - MM5XT
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

(Might be worth considering putting a pin on the map: )
DaveLecky

Post by DaveLecky »

Yip great idea, count me in .....I’m in airdrie.

An initial meet up in a curry house/pub in Glasgow/Edinburgh would be a great first step, I’m sure there will be a vast array of experience sitting round a table, and lots to talk about.

Can’t seem to get my pin to stay in the map.......

Dave
Electron, Plus 3 and plus 1, AP6 and Home made MMFS PP SD interface
Electron Plus 1 Pres AP3/4 AP5 MGC ELKWiFi MRB
Beeb issue 7 with IFEL 16 socket Rom/Ram board
Master 128,CoPro
Master Compact
StrongA RPC,
Atom, Music 5000 and Keyboard
Kazzie

Post by Kazzie »

DaveLecky wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:14 amCan’t seem to get my pin to stay in the map.......
Sounds like a job for Witchfinder Sergeant Shadwell to me! :)
BBC Model B 32K issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM, ZIDEFS with 512MB CF card
RiscPC 600 under repair
Acorn System 1 home-made replica
gebes

Post by gebes »

I don't know about a specific Acorn meet, but there is the Edinburgh Retro PC club that meets once a month.

There's a specific Amiga club that meets in Glasgow, but I would love to meet other Acorn users as well locally somewhere :)
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

(see the followup thread at
BBC B meeting Glasgow
)
Tosk

Post by Tosk »

This post is a few years old now - but to revive hope on this topic, here is a venue I have now set up for potential meetups in Falkirk, Scotland:-

viewtopic.php?t=27684

Acorn BBC Micro Model B 32K - O.S. 1.2 - Basic v2 - Issue 7 motherboard - Opus DDOS DFS, MMFS Solid State Drive, Graphics Extension ROM and Gotek https://retrorendezvous.org/

Return to “other events + general event chat”