Acorn World and ABUG meetup, Cambridge 20-22nd September 2019.

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
1024MAK

Re: Acorn World and ABUG meetup, Cambridge 20-22nd September 2019.

Post by 1024MAK »

There were two lots of fish & chips at the table where I was (but I had Pork). One was Jason I think. I can’t remember who else had fish & chips.

Did anyone else know of other fish & chips orders?

Mark
markdryan

Post by markdryan »

I also had fish and chips but I definitely paid. I’ve just checked my bank account and the transaction is there.
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:50 pmDid anyone else know of other fish & chips orders?
I believe there were six in total (per the receipt).
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

tom_seddon wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:43 pm Completely forgot about this until just now: I ended up paying for somebody's fish and chips at the pub on Friday, as I was the last one to leave and they were a payment short. Does anybody remember leaving without paying?

--Tom
That'll be me. I went along to the pub on saturday having thought to myself that I hadn't paid - only to be told by the pub that everything was paid for!
So I walked away thinking I must've been mistaken and that I had paid. Oops. Looks like I'll be paying you back for your pizza by paypal :)
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Meanwhile.. thankyou all for your kind words. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves.
I'm sure most of you saw me flapping about at times as I tried to ensure everything ran as smoothly as possible.. but I can assure you that I enjoyed the weekend too. The talks were a big highlight for me; it was a real thrill to meet Jonathan Griffiths having played Snapper thousands of times as a kid.

I didn't do this all alone; I want to give a big thankyou to..
- roland for getting the name tags / lanyards together
- flibble (Peter) for rewriting all his part of the text for the Acorn history tables (after accidentally deleting it last year :) ).. and also sourcing the games/software running on the Archimedes/Risc PCs on display..and also lending me his Pi Zero to run Doom
- helpful (Bryan) for manning the Valiant Turtle demos and education tables
- prime (phill) for burning LOGO roms for the Valiant Turtle
- paul for setting up and demonstrating his BBC TV graphics display
- JudgeBeeb (Robert) for helping set up the education tables
- Tricky for his Tricky gaming rig and getting the beer on saturday
- kieranhj and VectorEyes (Adrian) for bringing their Masters and running their demos out in the main hall
- RobC and hoglet (Dave) and Tricky for collectively working out how to get Doom to run on my Master with MMFS
- riscman for helping me and the staff pack up / put everything back on Sunday evening
- Jason F, Adrian, Katrina and Dan at the museum for helping set up , promote and hosting the event

Thanks,
Jason
Last edited by jbnbeeb on Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Thanks jbnbeeb, the museum and everybody else who helped organise the weekend's event, loved it!

The talks couldn't have been any better and it was heartwarming to see 'Acorn World' resurrected once more ... :)

Personal highlight for me was finally locating and archiving the BBC version of Knight Orc - I could barely contain my excitement all weekend!
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
bprosman

Post by bprosman »

Elminster wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:53 pm Was good as usual. Thanks Jason and all. Only trouble with just doing Sunday only is it seems to be time to come home not long after getting there.

Hopefully by the next one I will have the FPGA doing something more impressive than counting in a seven segment display.
Looking into the FPGA magic as well, was actually looking to turn one of my development boards (Spartan3) into a 6845 / 6847 kind of VGA video controller I can use with my hombrew computer.

More something like this : http://searle.hostei.com/grant/MonitorK ... index.html

Searching "the net" , I see a lot of partial solutions but not one I understand yet :?
Last edited by bprosman on Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

I have a couple of projects in mind but don’t know enough to really start them yet
scarybeasts

Post by scarybeasts »

Thanks all for the warm welcome and excellent organization / program -- I had a blast.

I left with a real beeb stuffed into my backpack -- interesting times at Heathrow security -- and I will redouble my efforts to better understand the machine for purposes of accurate emulation!

Cheers
Chris

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”