Acorn World and ABUG meetup, Cambridge 20-22nd September 2019.

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
Elminster

Re: Acorn World and ABUG meetup, Cambridge 20-22nd September 2019.

Post by Elminster »

The quad port ethernet card, Acorn Tapes & 3.5inch Disks are still available from the last Cambridge ABuG giveaway.

Original Post is here. I probably have some new stuff to add to it as well.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17377
Prime

Post by Prime »

VectorEyes wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:25 pm You wouldn’t happen to have any of the devices that plug onto Atom motherboards to provide video output? You had a quick look at my two Atoms a few ABUGs back and I made a mental note at the time that I needed to get hold of some!
You mean connectors for the composite out (PL4), if so yeah could probably bring some along.
Another option if you are never planning on using the Modulator again, is to use it's phono output and rewire as composite.

Cheers.

Phill.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Ah yes,

Lesley will be around for this one, she'll be going off doing her own thing during the day, so won't need 'table space' :) But will be joining us for the meal on Friday evening....

Cheers.

Phill.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

You keep her on a table :shock:
pelago

Post by pelago »

I don't suppose anyone going to ABUG has a B+ or a Master Compact for sale? I've missed out on these going for reasonable prices on ebay in recent weeks, annoyingly.
Kazzie

Post by Kazzie »

1024MAK wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:37 am You keep her on a table :shock:
A pedestal, shurely! :D
BBC Model B 32K issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM, ZIDEFS with 512MB CF card
RiscPC 600 under repair
Acorn System 1 home-made replica
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

If anyone, coming to Cambridge, is interested in seeing one of the first in circuit microprocessor develop systems from HP (1979) the 64000 - I've decided I probably won't ever get the time to refurbish it, so it's been donated to the museum.

It's history, as far as I know: I believe it was acquired by Filtronic Components Ltd. to develop a novel Vector Analysis system that was controlled by a Z80 processor. It has the Z80 plug-in, Logic analyser, and 2 EPROM modules. It also suffers from the seemingly common screen-rot. This is caused by the glue between the CRT and safety cover being attacked by a fungus. It's fixable! Lots of information on-line on how to do it.

I say acquired - I could have been purchased by Filtronic or from Leeds University. The company had close links with the university through its founder Professor David Rhodes.

I worked at Filtronic, in the early/mid 90s, and as the unit wasn't been used anymore I manage to purchase it for a nominal sum 8) and then used to develop some of the products for Baildon Electronics.

It's big! But at the time, late 70s and 80s, it was the only comprehensive in-circuit development system. But at a cost - I believe the base unit was somewhere around £50K :shock:

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
pelago

Post by pelago »

It looks like Sam and I will be arriving after 5pm (but hopefully before the talks start at 6pm) on the Saturday. 5pm is the time the museum normally shuts on a Saturday. Will we still be able to get in, and if so, any special arrangements required?
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

I'm thinking I'm going to have to cancel my table.

My wife and I were planning on coming along, along with our puppy Phoebe, and much like last time in June, they (my wife and the pup) were going to be in the van most of the weekend, and we were hoping to stay in the car park.

Last time in June, the museum kindly provided us with somewhere to plug in an extension lead so we could at least plug in a fan, but that mostly blew hot air around (there was little to no breeze) and my wife ended up sitting on the floor in our van to try to keep cool.

This time we were hoping the temperatures would be more sensible but it looks to be another scorcher, and with the addition of the puppy (who is only 5 months old), it would be doubly unfair to leave them in the van, and as she's not interested in vintage computers so wouldn't want to come in and spend the weekend inside, even if they did let our Phoebe in as well.

Leaving them both at home would have been a possibility but as I'm my wife's full time carer due to her having a condition where she goes paralysed from the waist down, this would leave her along with a puppy to fend for herself, which would also be unfair on her. We don't have much family around who would be willing to spend the weekend with us to look after her.

The only sensible option in this instance is to say I'll have to miss this one, and make sure I get to the next one in Camberley. Sorry for the short notice and I do hope you get the now spare table filled pretty sharpish.

Please do share loads of pictures from the event and let me know how hot it gets!
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

Prime wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:37 am
VectorEyes wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:25 pm You wouldn’t happen to have any of the devices that plug onto Atom motherboards to provide video output? You had a quick look at my two Atoms a few ABUGs back and I made a mental note at the time that I needed to get hold of some!
You mean connectors for the composite out (PL4), if so yeah could probably bring some along.
Another option if you are never planning on using the Modulator again, is to use it's phono output and rewire as composite.

Cheers.

Phill.
Sorry for late reply, yes, I meant the composite-out connectors, if you have one (or even better two) spare that would be great. Happy to pay whatever the going rate is for them. I'd rather not re-wire the phono output!
JimRussell

Post by JimRussell »

What time can we arrive on Friday to unload and set up kit?
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi
As per the 1st post, we won't get the clasroom til 4.00pm on the Friday
By all means show up earlier if you want to have a look around the museum
Also, the room will need to be cleared of museum kit first.
I'd appreciate help with that with those arriving at around 4 or earlier
Thanks
Jason
pelago

Post by pelago »

pelago wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:59 pm It looks like Sam and I will be arriving after 5pm (but hopefully before the talks start at 6pm) on the Saturday. 5pm is the time the museum normally shuts on a Saturday. Will we still be able to get in, and if so, any special arrangements required?
@jbnbeeb ?
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

No special arrangements.. I'll let the staff know.. Just show up and pay entrance fee at reception...
pelago

Post by pelago »

jbnbeeb wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:54 pm No special arrangements.. I'll let the staff know.. Just show up and pay entrance fee at reception...
Ta :)
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

SimonSideburns wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:26 pm I'm thinking I'm going to have to cancel my table.
SimonSideburns wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:26 pmThis time we were hoping the temperatures would be more sensible but it looks to be another scorcher.
The current forecast:
Cambridge weather forecast
Cambridge weather forecast
Mark
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Given Simon's unfortunate cancellation, please could I upgrade my half table to a full one.

Thanks
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi only just seen.
OK. At this point I'm inclined to call time on further requests. We can use the half table that is free to accommodate the snack mountain.
JudgeBeeb wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:10 pm Given Simon's unfortunate cancellation, please could I upgrade my half table to a full one.

Thanks
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I am off work this week and likely to arrive early on Friday. So I am happy to help with setting up and purchasing the snack mountain.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
roland

Post by roland »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:09 pm The current forecast:
6DC0E247-6B9B-424E-94FE-E16DFFFB1993.jpeg
Remarkable that the temperature at night is quite high. In my region it goes down to 7˚C on Saturday night.

Anyway, Simon cannot cancel any more because I have his name badge already printed. Just like the others as well :lol:
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Thanks, your help will be very welcome!
roland

Post by roland »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:16 pm I am off work this week and likely to arrive early on Friday. So I am happy to help with setting up and purchasing the snack mountain.
I also expect to arrive at about 1:00PM and I first want to spend a few hours in the museum but I can also help with arranging tables or so.
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

I will be bringing a powerful and reasonably large fan with me for the classroom.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Thanks Roland.
roland wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:20 pm
JudgeBeeb wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:16 pm I am off work this week and likely to arrive early on Friday. So I am happy to help with setting up and purchasing the snack mountain.
I also expect to arrive at about 1:00PM and I first want to spend a few hours in the museum but I can also help with arranging tables or so.
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

jbnbeeb wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:56 pm Ok. 1 full table available.
Diminished wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:27 pm Could I upgrade to the full table from my half-table, for all three days?

That would free up one half table for the whole weekend.
jbnbeeb wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:38 pm My previous post didn't appear!

cmorley pipped Diminished to the post (sorry Diminished!) in request for moving from half to full table..(via PM)..
SimonSideburns wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:26 pm I'm thinking I'm going to have to cancel my table.
JudgeBeeb wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:10 pm Given Simon's unfortunate cancellation, please could I upgrade my half table to a full one.

Thanks
jbnbeeb wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:14 pm Hi only just seen.
OK.
I'm not going to make an issue out of this, but it was slightly frustrating.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Sorry. At the risk of annoying Jason a bit more, but, Diminished, the full table is absolutely yours.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

I didn't mean to offend. There has been a lot of shuffling about this last week or so with the classroom and it has been difficult to keep up between a lot of planning re the exhibition. Thanks for doing the honourable thing in lieu of my error Robert
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

Thanks guys. Like I said, I'm not going to make a fuss over it.

I don't remember how big the tables are or what exactly I'm going to bring; if I can fit on a half then I'll give up the big one.
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:09 pm
SimonSideburns wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:26 pmThis time we were hoping the temperatures would be more sensible but it looks to be another scorcher.
The current forecast:
6DC0E247-6B9B-424E-94FE-E16DFFFB1993.jpeg

Mark
It's not that those temperatures in themselves are too hot, but leaving the wife and pup sitting in what effectively is a tin can with inadequate insulation to keep heat out coupled with no easy way to refrigerate foodstuffs that really should be kept down to sub 4 degrees C for safe eating and it just becomes too much of a risk.

Also, asking the museum staff to provide electricity to power a fan and small fridge isn't really fair on them either.

As much as I would have loved to be there, it's not just about me.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hi Simon

I was not being critical. I just wanted to post the weather forecast so other people could see how unseasonably warm it is going to be...

Mark

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”