Acorn World and ABUG meetup, Cambridge 20-22nd September 2019.

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
jbnbeeb

Re: Acorn World and ABUG meetup, Cambridge 20-22nd September 2019. 1 NO-KIT SPACE AVAILABLE

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi Michael,
yes .. added you to top post...
Declaring the meet full now.
Are you along on sat or sat/sun?
firthmj wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:47 pm Hi,

Is the one “no-kit” space still available? If so, I would like to come along on the Saturday if possible.

I might bring a smallish item of rather special kit, if someone with a table would be willing to let me connect it to a Beeb

Thanks

Michael
jbnbeeb

Re: Acorn World and ABUG meetup, Cambridge 20-22nd September 2019. FULL

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi,

The Acorn World event page has been updated. Paul, who will be attending the meet up - will be giving a demo of his amazing BBC TV graphics display, which used Acorn hardware (and some other kit) to display the gfx for the National lottery and kids TV programmes.

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/ ... mber-2019/
Groot

Post by Groot »

Hi Jason - I was planning to come along to the event, car sharing with Michael @firthmj, but see the event is now declared full :(

I’d be just around for the Saturday (as is Michael), and noticed that a couple of attendees are Sunday only (@Elkminister and @riscman) - any chance I could use one of their places on the Saturday pretty please? (Seems Dave F May be using the other Saturday-only space)

Many thanks in advance,
Mark R
Ipswich
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

jbnbeeb wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:51 pm Somewhere in the main hall...
32. tricky (Richard) Arriving Saturday morning, leaving Sunday afternoon
Is this a new game, “hunt the tricky”? :lol:

Mark
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Groot wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:49 pm Hi Jason - I was planning to come along to the event, car sharing with Michael @firthmj, but see the event is now declared full :(

I’d be just around for the Saturday (as is Michael), and noticed that a couple of attendees are Sunday only (@Elkminister and @riscman) - any chance I could use one of their places on the Saturday pretty please? (Seems Dave F May be using the other Saturday-only space)

Many thanks in advance,
Mark R
Ipswich
Did you actually want a table? Nothing stopping you going to the event. Just the bouncers won't let you in the ABUG classroom, but people can be enticed out with promises of sugary treats. Or you can play hunt the Tricky.

Completely random semi-off topic question. Do you ever use the Ipswich Maker Space, I wonder if something like that could be used for a semi formal ABUG?
Last edited by Elminster on Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Just the bouncers won't let you in the ABUG classroom

Of course they’ll let you in - just pretend you’re a member of the public, they’re always wandering around. It’ll be good to meet you . . . .

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Groot wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:49 pm Hi Jason - I was planning to come along to the event, car sharing with Michael @firthmj, but see the event is now declared full :(
Hi Mark

Please do come and say hello. I’m sure we can squeeze you in :wink:

Mark
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

daveejhitchins wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:29 am Just the bouncers won't let you in the ABUG classroom

Of course they’ll let you in - just pretend you’re a member of the public, they’re always wandering around. It’ll be good to meet you . . . .

Dave H :D
Shhh dont let out the secret. Do you not want the sugary bribes ??
Last edited by Elminster on Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tricky

Post by tricky »

For anyone attending who has bought one of my micro SD "MMC" adaptors for their beeb and wants to swap the supplied SmartSPI for an MMFS variant (following the recent bug fix) I will be bringing some spare MMFS EPROMS for B/B+/Master and will swap it for you if you like.
The bug fix fixes an incompatibility with some cards which stops them from reporting success when being written to.
SmartSPI has the same bug, hence the offer of a swap - if you don't write to your card, or it works fine, you need to swap, but can if you want ;)
flynnjs

Post by flynnjs »

Elminster wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:19 pm Completely random semi-off topic question. Do you ever use the Ipswich Maker Space,
I wonder if something like that could be used for a semi formal ABUG?
I'm a keyholder there so could facilitate that. I'll have a chat to see what the charge would be.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

flynnjs wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:05 pm
Elminster wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:19 pm Completely random semi-off topic question. Do you ever use the Ipswich Maker Space,
I wonder if something like that could be used for a semi formal ABUG?
I'm a keyholder there so could facilitate that. I'll have a chat to see what the charge would be.
Interesting. Will have to spin off a new topic if any interest. I belong to makerspace Facebook page but I never get closer than John Lewis at future/euro park.
Last edited by Elminster on Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Sorry for the delayed response
Yes you are right
One last half table space Saturday
It's yours
Will update top post later

Ps we don't have bouncers we're a friendly bunch!

Many thanks in advance,
Mark R
Ipswich
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Looking at my schedule and finances, I'm going to have to pull out of next weekend, so that's a full-kitter table available. (Annoying as I wanted to do some testing of my networking code with the FileStore.)

I hope to get to the Farnborough November meet-up.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
jbnbeeb

Re: Acorn World and ABUG meetup, Cambridge 20-22nd September 2019.

Post by jbnbeeb »

Ok. 1 full table available.
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

Could I upgrade to the full table from my half-table, for all three days?

That would free up one half table for the whole weekend.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

My previous post didn't appear!

cmorley pipped Diminished to the post (sorry Diminished!) in request for moving from half to full table..(via PM)..so cmorely gets the full table and that leaves 1 half table free .

Can I ask that anyone at this point who thinks that they cant make it to post ASAP please.

On another note, I've booked the pub/restaurant on the Friday for 8pm, hopefully allowing time for most people to arrive beforehand.
Last edited by jbnbeeb on Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

He should be pretty easy to find :)

1024MAK wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:01 pm
jbnbeeb wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:51 pm Somewhere in the main hall...
32. tricky (Richard) Arriving Saturday morning, leaving Sunday afternoon
Is this a new game, “hunt the tricky”? :lol:

Mark
pelago

Post by pelago »

Hello, only just found out about this, so bit late notice, but is there room for me and a friend? Plan to be there in time for the six PM talks on the Saturday (and pizza!), and all of Sunday. We won't be bringing any kit so don't need a table. Will there be some chairs for no-kitters, though, as I prefer not to stand all day!
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi,
At this point there is one half table free across the weekend - which is room for just one person.

I'm afraid all other spots, including "no-kitters" are full.
Edit - actually there are no-kitter spaces available sunday only. So you could pop in as described below on the sat.. and have "no kitter " spaces sunday if you'd like..

What I would say is that the places listed in the first post are for the classroom only. Just as any other museum visitor you are welcome to explore the entire museum, which will include the Acorn World exhibits in the main hall and foyer... and if you wish to stay for the talks, just let the staff know when you pay entrance fee at reception desk.

I have to be reasonably firm because space in the classroom is limited. Once we have much more than 30 people, soldering irons and other electrical equipment about.. it can get a bit uncomfortable for people - if not dangerous.

For people who want to visit the classroom who aren't in the list in the first post, what we tend to say is that it's OK to "pop in" the classroom for few mins/an hour or so.. but then pop out :) . This again is per any other museum visitor.. anyone can "pop in" the classroom for a bit while the event is on.. but not too long due to comfort and safety.

Thanks,
Jason
pelago wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:11 pm Hello, only just found out about this, so bit late notice, but is there room for me and a friend? Plan to be there in time for the six PM talks on the Saturday (and pizza!), and all of Sunday. We won't be bringing any kit so don't need a table. Will there be some chairs for no-kitters, though, as I prefer not to stand all day!
Last edited by jbnbeeb on Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pelago

Post by pelago »

Thanks.

Well, please can I book that half-table (one person) slot in any case, for late afternoon Sat and all Sun?

I understand what you're saying about space. I can always duck out of the room when my friend wants to duck in, if that helps! And check out the main hall Acorn and non-Acorn stuff.

As I say, I don't really need the half-table, so if any "no-kitters" want to upgrade themselves to a half-table, let me know and we can do a swap. Or I suppose if a half-tabler wants to upgrade to a full table.

Are the Saturday 6pm talks in the main hall or the classroom BTW?

Oh my first name is John. I haven't set a stardot avatar yet.

EDIT: seen your edit, that sounds good. So can I have two no-kitter spaces (for "John" and "Sam") for whole of Sunday, and whatever you think necessary for Saturday. We wouldn't be arriving before 4pm on the Sat at the earliest, if that makes any difference.
Last edited by pelago on Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Given you're not arriving til 4pm sat and no kit, I think the most straightforward thing to do is to simply "book you in " as sunday no kitters.
We'll be more spread out and not all in the classroom at once from 6pm on the saturday evening .
I'll update the top post.
pelago wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:02 pm Thanks.

Well, please can I book that half-table (one person) slot in any case, for late afternoon Sat and all Sun?

I understand what you're saying about space. I can always duck out of the room when my friend wants to duck in, if that helps! And check out the main hall Acorn and non-Acorn stuff.

As I say, I don't really need the half-table, so if any "no-kitters" want to upgrade themselves to a half-table, let me know and we can do a swap. Or I suppose if a half-tabler wants to upgrade to a full table.

Are the Saturday 6pm talks in the main hall or the classroom BTW?

Oh my first name is John. I haven't set a stardot avatar yet.

EDIT: seen your edit, that sounds good. So can I have two no-kitter spaces (for "John" and "Sam") for whole of Sunday, and whatever you think necessary for Saturday. We wouldn't be arriving before 4pm on the Sat at the earliest, if that makes any difference.
Prime

Post by Prime »

With less than a week to go, anything anyone wants me to bring beyond :

Normal soldering equipment & tools.
Eprom / AVR / PIC / Xilinx programmers.
Shuttle PC for reading floppies.
Dragon + PSU (for looking at sbadger's Dragon).
Normal assortment of Beeb / Atom stuff.

Cheers.

Phill.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Jason,

If there is still a half-table available, please can I take it.

Also, if it is not too late, please can I be added to the restaurant booking for the Friday night.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

Actually, does anyone have any spare BBC Master PSUs they might be willing to sell at ABUG? I have two masters missing PSUs. Or rather one is totally missing, and for the other I’m missing the outer metal case but have the PSU board.

If anyone does it would be much appreciated!
roland

Post by roland »

Prime wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:14 pm With less than a week to go ...
I can hardly wait :mrgreen:
Prime wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:14 pm ... anything anyone wants me to bring beyond
I don't know if I really need them but it might be a good idea to have some of those around.

Greetings,
Roland
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

Prime wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:14 pm With less than a week to go, anything anyone wants me to bring beyond :

Shuttle PC for reading floppies.
Dragon + PSU (for looking at sbadger's Dragon).
Normal assortment of Beeb / Atom stuff.

Cheers.

Phill.
You wouldn’t happen to have any of the devices that plug onto Atom motherboards to provide video output? You had a quick look at my two Atoms a few ABUGs back and I made a mental note at the time that I needed to get hold of some!
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Moved you to last half table. Will update top post properly to tomorrow
JudgeBeeb wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:18 pm Jason,

If there is still a half-table available, please can I take it.

Also, if it is not too late, please can I be added to the restaurant booking for the Friday night.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

jbnbeeb wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:48 pm Moved you to last half table. Will update top post properly to tomorrow
Thanks.

Just to be clear, Sharon is not coming at all now.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Yup top post updated accordingly
JudgeBeeb wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:55 pm
jbnbeeb wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:48 pm Moved you to last half table. Will update top post properly to tomorrow
Thanks.

Just to be clear, Sharon is not coming at all now.

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”