LAND - A Multi-User Dungeon (well almost)

development and releases of new/rewritten text adventures
fuzzel

Re: LAND - A Multi-User Dungeon (well almost)

Post by fuzzel »

Canalboy wrote:
"If you fall to your end climbing into the quarry the valedictory message includes "Did your (sic) hear the splat! on the rocks below?"
That's probably one for an expert in neuroscience. If you do indeed fall to your death, how long after the moment of impact do you remain conscious before losing all brain function? Is it possible to hear the sound of your own death? I'm not sure anyone can answer that, at least, not from experience.
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

fuzzel wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:15 pm
Canalboy wrote:
"If you fall to your end climbing into the quarry the valedictory message includes "Did your (sic) hear the splat! on the rocks below?"
That's probably one for an expert in neuroscience. If you do indeed fall to your death, how long after the moment of impact do you remain conscious before losing all brain function? Is it possible to hear the sound of your own death? I'm not sure anyone can answer that, at least, not from experience.
As long as that last sound is not a Simply Red Record......

Canalboy
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Please be assured I’m keeping a log of all the typos etc and will fix them in one go, probably once you’ve been welcomed to the ranks of wizardhood.
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

fuzzel wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:11 pm The terra cyngr's worthlessness is in the eye of the beholder obviously. To be honest this was the description in the original Essex version so I've simply included it verbatim. At least I've added a VALUE command so you can quickly assess its worth to you. Incidentally using this coding technique you get some interesting new words, indeed terra cyngr sounds like a mash up of latin and anglo-saxon.
Re being transported "fbhgu bs gur ynxr if you fgnaq ba gur juvgr cyngr va gur Fgber Ebbz", I'm not sure about that but it's a useful shortcut method and it's also crucial for one particular puzzle. Let's just say it allows you to znkvzvfr lbhe fpber.
Hello Fuzzel

Another few questions re Land:

1) Is the snxr pnir ragenapr in the fnaql pbir merely atrompe l'oeilor a legitimate puzzle?

2) Is the qrfreg a salient area or merely a series of prosaic locations?

3) Is there a connection between the forest that is tybjvat jvgu urnygu and the nzhyrg which also tybjf when manipulated in a certain way.

I am at 1640 points at the moment but am holding some treasures back in case they have dual purpose. I have been only slightly more pugilistic then Bertrand Russell so far.

Canalboy
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

Canalboy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:53 pm
fuzzel wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:11 pm The terra cyngr's worthlessness is in the eye of the beholder obviously. To be honest this was the description in the original Essex version so I've simply included it verbatim. At least I've added a VALUE command so you can quickly assess its worth to you. Incidentally using this coding technique you get some interesting new words, indeed terra cyngr sounds like a mash up of latin and anglo-saxon.
Re being transported "fbhgu bs gur ynxr if you fgnaq ba gur juvgr cyngr va gur Fgber Ebbz", I'm not sure about that but it's a useful shortcut method and it's also crucial for one particular puzzle. Let's just say it allows you to znkvzvfr lbhe fpber.
Hello Fuzzel

Another few questions re Land:

1) Is the snxr pnir ragenapr in the fnaql pbir merely atrompe l'oeilor a legitimate puzzle?

3) Is there a connection between the forest that is tybjvat jvgu urnygu and the nzhyrg which also tybjf when manipulated in a certain way.

I am at 1640 points at the moment but am holding some treasures back in case they have dual purpose. I have been only slightly more pugilistic then Bertrand Russell so far.

Canalboy
I'm having a bit of trouble with the italicising!
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Hi, now that I've created a little encode/decode program in Beebem I'm finding it a lot easier to answer your questions than by working them out in my head. Here goes:
That is correct. Looking at the LAND printout this was obviously never taken any further which is a shame, lots of potential there.
Purely a way of creating an eastern border for the game I think. That wasn't a bit of the game I was responsible for though.
To be honest I've not thought about that. The person who wrote that bit of the game may have been offering a clue but I can't say for certain. I'd like to think he was though.
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

fuzzel wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:32 pm Hi, now that I've created a little encode/decode program in Beebem I'm finding it a lot easier to answer your questions than by working them out in my head. Here goes:
That is correct. Looking at the LAND printout this was obviously never taken any further which is a shame, lots of potential there.
Purely a way of creating an eastern border for the game I think. That wasn't a bit of the game I was responsible for though.
To be honest I've not thought about that. The person who wrote that bit of the game may have been offering a clue but I can't say for certain. I'd like to think he was though.
Thanks Fuzzel. I immediately thought of Wile E Coyote when I saw that. It is somewhat reminiscent of the Secretarial Pool in the game Warp which was meant to lead to a puzzle but was subsequently abandoned by the programmers costing a lot of people a lot of wasted time.

Canalboy
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

fuzzel wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:32 pm Hi, now that I've created a little encode/decode program in Beebem I'm finding it a lot easier to answer your questions than by working them out in my head. Here goes:
It seems impossible to interact with the zlfgvpny svther va gur tenirlneq. The game also doesn't seem to understand zrauve or zrauvef which makes it somewhat difficult to tackle that particular problem.

Canalboy
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Canalboy wrote:
It seems impossible to interact with the zlfgvpny svther va gur tenirlneq.
You mean the tevz erncre ? He's a nasty piece of work and should be avoided.
The game also doesn't seem to understand zrauve or zrauvef which makes it somewhat difficult to tackle that particular problem
You need to <DO> <SOMETHING> at ZRAUVEF
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

fuzzel wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:40 pm
Canalboy wrote:
The game also doesn't seem to understand zrauve or zrauvef which makes it somewhat difficult to tackle that particular problem
Ah got it Fuzzel. I had tried just about every verb I could think of using beside the nzhyrg save for fubj. Onwards and elsewhere.

Canalboy
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

Canalboy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:47 pm
Canalboy wrote:
Ah got it Fuzzel. I had tried just about every verb I could think of using beside the nzhyrg save for fubj. Onwards and elsewhere.

Canalboy
A very pedantic one but in the Farmhouse living room mantlepiece is spelled with an "le" but in the Fisherman's cottage it is spelled with an "el."

Canalboy
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

Canalboy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:46 pm

Canalboy
A very pedantic one but in the Farmhouse living room mantlepiece is spelled with an "le" but in the Fisherman's cottage it is spelled with an "el."

Canalboy
I also note that it is possible to hear Ian Botham playing cricket on the Ivyyntr terra from the Ivxvat vfynaq, unlikely as the latter is decribed as a "far away land."

Canalboy
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

Canalboy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:11 pm

Canalboy

Canalboy
I also note that it is possible to hear Ian Botham playing cricket on the Ivyyntr terra from the Ivxvat vfynaq, unlikely as the latter is decribed as a "far away land."

Canalboy
I have only just realised that you can go NE from the unyyjnl va gur Ivpnentr. It is not listed as a direction.

Canalboy
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

Canalboy wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:45 pm
Canalboy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:11 pm

Canalboy

Canalboy
I have only just realised that you can go NE from the unyyjnl va gur Ivpnentr. It is not listed as a direction.

Canalboy
Hello Fuzzel

Is there a particular object you need to give to the gebyy? I am reluctant to give up any of the treasures to him.

Canalboy
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Canalboy wrote:
Probably due to this being a collaborative exercise with no strict editorial control ensuring consistency. Mantelpiece is the orthodox spelling but Americans sometimes use mantlepiece (although none of the LAND writers hailed from across the pond).
He could be doing it anywhere - if, in the original multi-user version of Land, a player hits another player with the bat everyone else playing gets that THWACK! message. I simulated it to print occasionally (and I think I prevented it from happening if you were carrying it or if it was in your location).
You're right, although the location description very rarely lists all the directions. It's a shame if people miss that location because the description is rather good in my opinion:
library.jpg
The door is not the only thing that's unhinged in this game either.
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Canalboy wrote:
Is there a particular object you need to give to the gebyy? I am reluctant to give up any of the treasures to him.
Without realising it you've already given the answer to this...
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

fuzzel wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:29 pm
Canalboy wrote:
Without realising it you've already given the answer to this...
Does that mean that whatever you give him can be claimed back later?

Canalboy
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

It depends on what you give him
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

fuzzel wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:12 pm It depends on what you give him
It's not just Eric Morecambe who ridiculed Des O' Connor then...

Canalboy
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Canalboy wrote:
I presume by this you mean I'm teasing you here and need another clue. Those gebyyf are cunning creatures so it's very unlikely that you'd find his hidey-hole where he stashes his loot. However, if you can think of an object which you can magically transport yourself to then you'd probably be onto something...
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

fuzzel wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:01 pm
Canalboy wrote:
I presume by this you mean I'm teasing you here and need another clue. Those gebyyf are cunning creatures so it's very unlikely that you'd find his hidey-hole where he stashes his loot. However, if you can think of an object which you can magically transport yourself to then you'd probably be onto something...
Actually Fuzzel I just meant the Des O' Connor reference in the Oynpx Gbjre. For the time being I have given the terra cyngr to the gebyy although I am guessing that I can't reclaim this later. The sequence in the cnffntrjnlf outside the Oynpx Gbjre is reminiscent of the Danger Rooms in Philosopher's Quest if you are familiar with that game.

Canalboy
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

fuzzel wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:01 pm
Canalboy wrote:
I was going to send a copy of my current Trizbort map but I can't seem to attach it.

Canalboy
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

Oho got it! Excellent puzzle there Fuzzel. I should have got it earlier but I thought the transportation destination was location rather than object specific. Phew I need a lie down.

Canalboy
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

If you would like a copy of my map so far Fuzzel PM me with your email address.

Canalboy
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

Canalboy wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:10 pm I was going to send a copy of my current Trizbort map but I can't seem to attach it.
You'll be able to attach it if you zip it up first.

:idea:
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Canalboy wrote:
If you would like a copy of my map so far Fuzzel PM me with your email address.
Just sent you a PM.
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Hi Canalboy, just viewed your map. You're doing brilliantly, I guess you're concentrating on the Wizards' tower maybe followed by the Viking island? I've also spotted that you don't appear to have opened the fnsr in the dhneel bssvpr. Your score should be pretty good now.
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

fuzzel wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:51 am Hi Canalboy, just viewed your map. You're doing brilliantly, I guess you're concentrating on the Wizards' tower maybe followed by the Viking island? I've also spotted that you don't appear to have opened the fnsr in the dhneel bssvpr. Your score should be pretty good now.
Thanks Fuzzel. I have 1890 points at the moment although there are some treasures that I have not deposited yet. I must admit I have not yet worked out how to open the fnsr in the dhneel bssvpr or how to enter the pbny zvar.

I also only have 32 health points as I've not run across much more food to eat recently.

Canalboy
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

fuzzel wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:51 am Hi Canalboy, just viewed your map. You're doing brilliantly, I guess you're concentrating on the Wizards' tower maybe followed by the Viking island? I've also spotted that you don't appear to have opened the fnsr in the dhneel bssvpr. Your score should be pretty good now.
When in the middle of the cnffntrjnl and you ubc fbhgu to avoid the neebj the description includes:

"...an arrow shoots out of the wall and flies passed (sic) the spot....

Canalboy
Canalboy

Post by Canalboy »

In the Yhkhevbhf Qbezvgbel north of the fcveny fgnvepnfr the description includes:

"....so one would imagine its (sic) the sleeping quarters..... should be "it's."

Canalboy

Return to “new projects and releases: text and graphic adventures”