ABUG Cambridge 28th - 30th June 2019 BOOKING THREAD - Now FULL

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
wolfgang

Re: ABUG Cambridge 28th - 30th June 2019 BOOKING THREAD - NOW FULL

Post by wolfgang »

Since I'll arrive in Cambridge in the morning, I will have some time to kill. Since I've already seen the tourist attractions, I am looking for alternatives. Is it i.e. possible and worth to visit arm headquarters?
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

wolfgang wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:31 am Since I'll arrive in Cambridge in the morning, I will have some time to kill. Since I've already seen the tourist attractions, I am looking for alternatives. Is it i.e. possible and worth to visit arm headquarters?
You have seen ALL tourist attractions? Think I have been going to Cambridge for 20 years and don't think I have seen them all yet

I remember dropping off a friend at ARM, as they worked there, don't remember it being very exciting.
anightin

Post by anightin »

Elminster wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:41 am I remember dropping off a friend at ARM, as they worked there, don't remember it being very exciting.
Your're right, it's not that exciting a place, a bit of a cliche but what makes Arm is it's people, business partners and ecosystem.

If you are desperate to look around I'm sure I can arrange something. 8)

Do you have your own transport?
Last edited by anightin on Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
wolfgang

Post by wolfgang »

Elminster wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:41 am You have seen ALL tourist attractions? Think I have been going to Cambridge for 20 years and don't think I have seen them all yet
Probably not all of them, but I was there for a week and at the end we were looking for alternatives. :D
Don't get me wrong, I liked Cambridge quite a bit, but it probably depends on personal preferences. I know there are some museums I have not visited, but they were not very high on my priority list.
Elminster wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:41 am I remember dropping off a friend at ARM, as they worked there, don't remember it being very exciting.
Yes, that is what I heard.
wolfgang

Post by wolfgang »

anightin wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:57 am If you are desperate to look around I'm sure I can arrange something. 8)

Do you have your own transport?
I will arrive by train with my luggage in tow and hope to be able to drop it off early at the Travelodge. Transport will be by foot, bus and Uber.
I am not totally desperate about the arm visit, I just thought it could be interesting. (My wife worked for MS in Redmond and I got to visit their campus many years ago, which was quite interesting from a cultural perspective. I also visited Silicon Valley a couple of years ago and visited Google et al.)
If you say there is nothing worth seeing, it probably doesn't make a lot of sense. :)
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Anyone managed to get to Cambridge Museum of Technology, formerly I think the Industrial Museum? They are (mostly) open again now:
https://www.museumoftechnology.com/visit#visiting-intro
Chuckie

Post by Chuckie »

Hi Guys

The hardware upgrades look amazing.
Last edited by Chuckie on Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

Just wanted to ask whether there was anyone (anyone? please?) attending from London who might be willing to pick up Master PSU for me and take it back with them so I could collect it from them in London? Would really appreciate it!

Thanks, in hope and anticipation... :)
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

wolfgang wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:22 pmbut I don't want to get bored when everybody is busy doing their things.
You won't get bored! What you will get is disappointed that there wasn't enough time to speak to everyone and see what they were doing.
Last edited by JudgeBeeb on Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Last minute advice!

Don’t forget to bring the essentials, such as:
  • Mains extension leads / multi-way adaptors
  • RGB/VGA/video leads for your computer/monitor/TV
  • All the parts and tools if you are working on a project
And if you have a Beeb with old Rifa X2 capacitors in it, remember it’s far better to chop them out and solder in new ones before powering it up, rather than smoke the room out! :lol:

In light of the weather forecast, you may want to consider bringing a fan... :D

It would be nice if some attendees take some photos and post them up on here :wink:

Y’all have fun now :D

[Alas, I can’t make this one :( ]

Mark
flibble

Post by flibble »

VectorEyes wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:13 pm Just wanted to ask whether there was anyone (anyone? please?) attending from London who might be willing to pick up Master PSU for me and take it back with them so I could collect it from them in London? Would really appreciate it!
If you can pick up from SW15 next week or something I can pick it up from Cambridge.
SpaceFlightOrange

Post by SpaceFlightOrange »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:56 pm
[Alas, I can’t make this one :( ]

Mark
:(

Sorry to hear that, Mark. Was hoping to say hello and thank you in person for all the advice on sorting out my PSU.

Maybe next time.
Last edited by SpaceFlightOrange on Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B), IFEL TurboMMC, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro, VideoNuLA

Master 128, Watford Quest Mouse, Gotek, Pi-Zero internal CoPro, Pi-1Mhz HDD, RGBtoHDMI

Opus Dual 40/80 FDD
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

flibble wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:06 pm
VectorEyes wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:13 pm Just wanted to ask whether there was anyone (anyone? please?) attending from London who might be willing to pick up Master PSU for me and take it back with them so I could collect it from them in London? Would really appreciate it!
If you can pick up from SW15 next week or something I can pick it up from Cambridge.
Thanks so much but someone's offered to help who's pretty close to where I work. Your offer is much appreciated though, thank you!
Deleted User 9295

Post by Deleted User 9295 »

Chuckie wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:51 pmWhen I mentioned it to Richard Rusell . He told never to speak to him again. :)
I beg your pardon?! I have nothing to do with this event.
flibble

Post by flibble »

I've listed a few items for sale that you could pick up at ABUG if interested

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17396
wolfgang

Post by wolfgang »

1024MAK wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:56 pm In light of the weather forecast, you may want to consider bringing a fan... :D
We just survived 38 yesterday here in Germany. So I am looking forward to 30 in Cambridge. :D
I hope all the attendees know how to reduce breathing and bring their freezing tech soldering gear. :lol:
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I am working late tonight; so I finished most of my packing this morning. So I can set off early tomorrow.

I am planning not to bring too much stuff. I am mindful of the fact that much of my full table maybe commandeered as the snack table. However, if there is anything specific that anyone would like me to bring, please let me know.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

I spent a large chunk of today prepping things for this weekend it seems.

I put a 3.5mm audio jack on my dev beeb and modified a scart lead to get sound to the TV. Fixed the electrical connections on my tube video demo and spent ages getting that going again. Tested a few model Bs for judgebeeb to look at. Gathered a few things to bring.

So I will have some Bs if anyone else apart from judgebeeb wants to look.

If anyone else wants me to bring anything specific then PM me pronto - preferably before I leave tomorrow :lol:

edit: for example I could bring an Amiga for a Stunt Car Racer comparison with the Master version?
Last edited by cmorley on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

cmorley wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:28 pm
edit: for example I could bring an Amiga for a Stunt Car Racer comparison with the Master version?
That is an interesting idea. Star car was one of the early games I had on the Amiga, remember with fondness. Would be interesting to compare them again, on real hardware that is. I still have a clone of my A1200 I took about 15-20 years ago before I gave it away.
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

I put a C64 in the box too for the Stunt Car Racer side by side. I didn't pack a Master I have too much stuff for half a table already!
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Unfortunately I can no longer make it tomorrow, unforeseen family commitments. So there's potentially a spare place for a no kitter tomorrow!

Will look forward to seeing photos of the goings on, and will try again for a future event.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

Hi all,

I wonder if someone could take a look at this Moonraider casette and see if it really is for the Acorn Atom:
http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/ ... oonraider/

If so, then it's MIA! But more likely it's the Nascom version.

There is also Cosmiad, but I think that's actually been mislaid:
http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/42413/Cosmiad/

Dave
Last edited by hoglet on Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Prime

Re: ABUG Cambridge 28th - 30th June 2019 BOOKING THREAD

Post by Prime »

Hope you all have a good and productive time.

Sorry I couldn't make this one.

Phill.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I am at CfCH now. We should be able to start setting up from about 2.30pm to 3.00pm. We will then be able to stay until 10pm tonight. We can get back in again at 9am on Saturday morning. We can stay late on Saturday until either we or Jason F have had enough.

We are free to spill out into other areas if we want to (there are some tables out in the main hall which I think we should be able to use). This would, for obvious reasons, be particularly suitable for anyone demoing software. However, this is not, in any way, mandatory. I appreciate that it can be a bit isolating being separated from the main group.

See you all later!
anightin

Post by anightin »

Okay, I'll set of now and should be there in 40 mins or so

Best wishes

Andy
oPless

Post by oPless »

I've already popped in and said hello to the Judge.

I'm planning to drop in later for a bit, might get some time late afternoon/evening on Saturday and I probably will be bringing family on Sunday.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!
BBC Model B ... W.E. Sideways Rom/Ram Board ... GIS Teletext Adapter ... Torch board (non-functional) Gotek Drive.
Currently into Teletext/ViewData stuff...
mattyj

Post by mattyj »

On my way, having a McDonalds!
roland

Post by roland »

Have fun @ ABUG !
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”