ABUG Cambridge 28th - 30th June 2019 BOOKING THREAD - Now FULL

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
SimonSideburns

Re: ABUG Cambridge 28th - 30th June 2019 BOOKING THREAD - NOW FULL

Post by SimonSideburns »

z0m8ied0g wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:06 am
SimonSideburns wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:20 pm 3.5" floppies containing a RISCIX backup (not sure what can be done with them)
5.25" floppies that are resisting export to Data Centre (they may be copy protected as some are original floppies). Does anyone have a kryoflux and 5.25" drive that may be able to try to read the floppies?

Please bring the RISCIX disks, i'll bring my RISCIX machine as i'm gonna try and set it up correctly. I have a set of disks so it will be good to see if we have a decent set that can be used to setup anything.

I will be bringing my Kryoflux machine so you are welcome to use that for your discs.
Thanks, Steve. Have never used nor seen a Kryoflux before so it'll be a new experience I'm sure.
Last edited by SimonSideburns on Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
SpaceFlightOrange

Post by SpaceFlightOrange »

Is it possible to leave the museum and return on the same ticket (on the same day, of course)?

My wife will be with me you see, as we are making a weekend of it, and she's fine with the fact she won't be able to come into the room. She said she might indulge in a little retail therapy, in the retail park opposite and come back a few hours later.
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B), IFEL TurboMMC, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro, VideoNuLA

Master 128, Watford Quest Mouse, Gotek, Pi-Zero internal CoPro, Pi-1Mhz HDD, RGBtoHDMI

Opus Dual 40/80 FDD
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

SpaceFlightOrange wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:51 pm Is it possible to leave the museum and return on the same ticket (on the same day, of course)?

My wife will be with me you see, as we are making a weekend of it, and she's fine with the fact she won't be able to come into the room. She said she might indulge in a little retail therapy, in the retail park opposite and come back a few hours later.
Not a problem. People come and go all the time.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

SpaceFlightOrange wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:51 pm Is it possible to leave the museum and return on the same ticket (on the same day, of course)?

Personal I would go straight into town, bit of a longer walk but much better shops.

My family probably won’t even go in the museum, just spend whole weekend shopping, and revisiting the museums (that don’t involve acorns)
Last edited by Elminster on Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
SpaceFlightOrange

JudgeBeeb wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:54 pm Not a problem. People come and go all the time.
Groovy. Thanks
Elminster wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:10 am Personal I would go straight into town, bit of a longer walk but much better shops.

My family probably won’t even go in the museum, just spend whole weekend shopping, and revisiting the museums (that don’t involve acorns)
:D That's good to know. I had a look at the maps and it didn't look too far but wasn't sure if it was within walking distance. Thanks
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B), IFEL TurboMMC, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro, VideoNuLA

Master 128, Watford Quest Mouse, Gotek, Pi-Zero internal CoPro, Pi-1Mhz HDD, RGBtoHDMI

Opus Dual 40/80 FDD
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

SpaceFlightOrange wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:17 am
JudgeBeeb wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:54 pm Not a problem. People come and go all the time.
Groovy. Thanks
Elminster wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:10 am Personal I would go straight into town, bit of a longer walk but much better shops.

:D That's good to know. I had a look at the maps and it didn't look too far but wasn't sure if it was within walking distance. Thanks
The museum is next to one of them shop parks you get on the outskirts of towns, not really a browsing place, you can head towards the Grafton centre shopping centre, which is okayish. But carry on to the town centre and (I think) that was voted the best place to shop in the UK recently.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

The centre of Cambridge is beautiful. It would be a pity for her not to see it.
Last edited by JudgeBeeb on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Does anyone who is coming to Cambridge have a Model B that is surplus to requirements that they would be willing to sell me? I'm not looking for anything fancy as long as it works. A disc interface and re-capped PSU would be desirable but not essential.
anightin

Post by anightin »

No but I do have an issue 4 Electron that I've just repaired* that needs a good home :)

I was going to bring it to see if anyone was interested. Set of manuals + mains transformer too.

* Repaired meaning given a good clean, and re-seating the ULA which was not showing Green signal and glitching. Tested it out with a Plus 1 and MGC.
SpaceFlightOrange

Elminster wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:53 am The museum is next to one of them shop parks you get on the outskirts of towns, not really a browsing place, you can head towards the Grafton centre shopping centre, which is okayish. But carry on to the town centre and (I think) that was voted the best place to shop in the UK recently.
JudgeBeeb wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:56 am The centre of Cambridge is beautiful. It would be a pity for her not to see it.
Thanks.

We do have a trip into the centre planned also, no way I'm missing the chance to visit the worlds first Raspberry Pi Shop!!! :lol:
Last edited by SpaceFlightOrange on Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James

Opus Dual 40/80 FDD
SpaceFlightOrange

anightin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:37 pm No but I do have an issue 4 Electron that I've just repaired* that needs a good home :)

I was going to bring it to see if anyone was interested. Set of manuals + mains transformer too.

* Repaired meaning given a good clean, and re-seating the ULA which was not showing Green signal and glitching. Tested it out with a Plus 1 and MGC.
I'd be interested in this. How much are you looking for?
James

Opus Dual 40/80 FDD
anightin

Post by anightin »

I was thinking £50

It's in nice clean condition and fully working. Happy for anyone to try before they buy -- I'll bring a screen and RGB to scart cable and an SD card expansion cart.
flibble

Post by flibble »

SimonSideburns wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:43 pm
leenew wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:16 pm Hi,
This is a long shot, but it is important, so I will ask anyway...
Would anyone be able to scan a magazine whilst at ABUG?
It is in storage box MAG53 and is entitles "Games Computing" September 1984
Ideally, the full magazine would need scanning.
Less than ideally, but better than nothing, I would like the articles/listings for the BBC Micro games contained within.
This is a rare magazine and I would really like to get it archived [-o<
I could bring along my Brother Multi Function A3 Printer/Scanner/Copier. Not sure how useful that is but it's pretty big and depending on if you're able to separate the pages somehow, might be able to scan it in without user assistance as it has a multi scan feature.

At this rate I might have to leave the wife at home to give me more space for stuff :-)
Non destructive scanning only, this is an item from the Museum's archive and we have to treat it with respect and with all the handling advice that the museum provides.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

flibble wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:11 pm Non destructive scanning only, this is an item from the Museum's archive and we have to treat it with respect and with all the handling advice that the museum provides.
I spoke to Lee today and I can scan this copy. I am already doing 4 others for him too.

I have my own white cotton gloves and will be ultra careful. :lol:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

flibble wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:11 pm Non destructive scanning only, this is an item from the Museum's archive and we have to treat it with respect and with all the handling advice that the museum provides.
I realised that, but back in the day there were magazines that were small and were held together with staples, so it wouldn't be that difficult to carefully remove the staples, scan the whole thing (my device scans in A3), then put the staples back in.

In this case, however, I am not sure what kind of magazine it is, nor whether it is held together with staples, so it was a suggestion only.

That saves me bringing the huge hulk of a device if someone else is going to be doing that task. Well done John.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

In case anyone is interested, I am selling a Hakko FX-951 digital soldering station. This is a superb soldering station that takes T12 and T15 integrated tips with fast thermal recovery. The station itself has been used for about 10 to 20 hours, but the included iron and stand, cables and miscellaneous bits and bobs are brand new still in their original wrappers. It also comes with a few of extras not normally included with the base unit (again all brand new and unused) namely a T15-D16 1.6mm chisel tip, a ceramic tip holder and a metal wool and holder tip cleaner.

I'll bring it along so that anyone interested can have a look at it. I'll also try to remember to bring along my own used iron, so that you can plug it into the station to give it a try.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I also have (and will bring) the following items which are free to a good home (i.e. a promise that they will be used and not relegated to the landfill).
  • Rapid 85-1706 three channel benchtop DC power supply (5V fixed at 500 mA, 12v fixed at 500 mA, 0 to 30v variable at 10A with adjustable current limit).
  • 858D hot air rework station.
  • ZD-985 desoldering station with vacuum gun.
gordonDrogon

Post by gordonDrogon »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:09 pm I also have (and will bring) the following items which are free to a good home (i.e. a promise that they will be used and not relegated to the landfill).
  • Rapid 85-1706 three channel benchtop DC power supply (5V fixed at 500 mA, 12v fixed at 500 mA, 0 to 30v variable at 10A with adjustable current limit).
  • 858D hot air rework station.
  • ZD-985 desoldering station with vacuum gun.
If no-one else has a strong interest then I'll like to "bag" them and I'll give an extra donation to the museum in return.

thanks,

-Gordon
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

gordonDrogon wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:17 pmI'll give an extra donation to the museum in return.
That would be cool. 8)
z0m8ied0g

Post by z0m8ied0g »

SimonSideburns wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:11 pm
That saves me bringing the huge hulk of a device if someone else is going to be doing that task. Well done John.
I've just bought this... https://www.czur.com/product/aura so will bring it with me, hopefully should be able to scan open pages.
Acorn... lots of Acorn... http://blog.retroacorn.net
leenew

Post by leenew »

Ooh! That looks groovy 8)

Lee
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Awesome. :shock:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

z0m8ied0g wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:29 pm
SimonSideburns wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:11 pm
I've just bought this... https://www.czur.com/product/aura so will bring it with me, hopefully should be able to scan open pages.
I thought it was some new take on a Dyson desk fan. I was looking forward to keeping cool.
wolfgang

Post by wolfgang »

Since people are talking about what to bring, this makes me think.
I am limited to what I can put in my carry-on luggage, which worked fine last time for an Electron and an Atom.
So far my plan is to bring:
- Laptop
- Atom with PSU, FDC, Gotek and HDMI adpater
- Electron with PSU, Plus 1 and Plus 3
- miniTV
- adapters for UK power sockets
I am considering to book an additional check-in bag to be able to bring onboard incompatible things like screwdrivers, soldering iron, etc.
Any suggestions on necessary/helpful items to bring?
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

wolfgang wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:51 am Since people are talking about what to bring, this makes me think.
I am limited to what I can put in my carry-on luggage, which worked fine last time for an Electron and an Atom.
So far my plan is to bring:
- Laptop
- Atom with PSU, FDC, Gotek and HDMI adpater
- Electron with PSU, Plus 1 and Plus 3
- miniTV
- adapters for UK power sockets
I am considering to book an additional check-in bag to be able to bring onboard incompatible things like screwdrivers, soldering iron, etc.
Any suggestions on necessary/helpful items to bring?
You will get some odd looks when you get asked to remove all items from hand luggage for going through the scanner at the airport.

What are you expecting to do? There will obviously be people about where tools can be borrowed briefly if you only need to borrow the odd one here or there.
wolfgang

Post by wolfgang »

Elminster wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:02 pm You will get some odd looks when you get asked to remove all items from hand luggage for going through the scanner at the airport.

What are you expecting to do? There will obviously be people about where tools can be borrowed briefly if you only need to borrow the odd one here or there.
Yes, I got some odd looks last time and the security people called there co-workers to check out the cool classic computers. :D
I am not quite sure what to do there. I guess it is mostly about getting to know other Acorn-crazy people in person, but I don't want to get bored when everybody is busy doing their things. I still have to build Hoglet's HDMI board for the BBC and Elk, that might be the right thing to do.
In case I'll get some suggestions about my recent Atom memory expansion, I could also work on that. I assume someone will bring a GAL and EPROM programmer?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Typically members get up to some or all of the following:
  • Chatting about Acorn (and other old) computers, including asking for advice, and answering such questions...
  • Demonstrating new hardware, new software (new games and demos) etc...
  • Building/making/developing/testing/repairing hardware... (repairs include members helping out other members).
  • Developing/testing new software including debugging...
  • Playing games...
  • Just enjoying the event and looking at what other members are up to, including chatting/asking questions.
  • Sometimes trading equipment or spares or new hardware/software.
But most of all, have fun :D

And you can of course, have a look around the museum :mrgreen:

So take you pick. Everyone is rather relaxed, so if you want to get on with something, that’s fine.

Mark
anightin

Post by anightin »

This will be my first event and the suggestions above sound very much as I expected. :)

FYI I'm planning on bringing:
  • System 1 new-build for anyone who wants to play with one
  • Resurrected ATOM ISS 5 with ATOMMC+RAMROM+HDMI for the same reason
  • A spare Electron ISS 4 for anyone who wants to trade/buy it off me
  • RiscPC 600 and RiscPC 700
  • Mini Display Screen + various video converters
In terms of declaring my interests up-front I'm hoping I can get some advice on setting up the RiscPCs. I got as far as converting them to CF-Card HDD and putting a universal boot on them but apart from that am pretty much a novice. I'd be happy to get optimum video, CD-ROM and networking going on each as a take-away.

By way of contribution I'm happy to bring my box of tools, multi-meter and soldering iron+braid so can help in building/fixing anything within my capacity to do so. I can also pack a Xilinx CPLD programmer and an EPROM programmer if anyone needs help there.

Looking forward to it already!
:D

Andy
Last edited by anightin on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

anightin wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:55 pm
By way of contribution I'm happy to bring my box of tools, multi-meter and soldering iron+braid so can help in building/fixing anything within my capacity to do so. I can also pack a Xilinx CPLD programmer and an EPROM programmer if anyone needs help there.
I doubt I will bring my EPROM programmer but I will have my box of stuff. Includes ATMEL, XLINIX and ATERA programmers, ICET, Dave/Myelin LX2 LA combo. Plus two other LAs. Whether all the software and drivers are installed on my new/old laptop is another matter. Not bringing my current scope, but bringing presold one, perhaps if you ask Dimension nicely he will let you use it.

Will have lots of soldering stuff, but will be making heavy use of that as my main purpose.

As only half a table I probably wont bring any actual machines with me this time.

I do have some ATMEL programmer SAM to AVR cable conversion boards to give away if anyone interested (not surprisingly I have 9 spares ones). Edit: Link to what they are https://atoomnet.net/atmel-ice-header-adapter/ Just the bare boards.
Last edited by Elminster on Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tricky

Post by tricky »

My usual split is 90% chatting, 9% saying I must go and do something and 1% not quite doing it ;)
Last edited by tricky on Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”