Atom Video to HDMI Adapter

emulators, hardware and classic software for atom + system machines
dreamerxb

Re: Atom Video to HDMI Adapter

Post by dreamerxb »

I just finished soldering the Atom Video to HDMI. My first ever in colour Acorn Atom, Many thanks to Hoglet voor making this possible.
If someone is interested, I have 9 PCB's left by mistake.
Attachments
IMG_1697D.JPG
IMG_1696D.JPG
anightin

Post by anightin »

Thanks also to Hoglet I've built a couple of these too for my ATOMs, awsome picture quality.

I notice you're also an Amiga fan. I prefer the Acorn stuff due to growing up with a Beeb, but the Commodore family come a close second. =D>
pmul128

Post by pmul128 »

Having just recently re-animated my Atom, I am definitely interested in a PCB. Please contact me to arrange the details.
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

pmul128 wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:15 pm Please contact me to arrange the details.
Who is this directed to?
pmul128

Post by pmul128 »

Ooops,
It’s to dreamerxb, I am not yet able to send PMs.
dreamerxb

Post by dreamerxb »

pmul128 I have your pm but can’t answer on it because I have no rights to do it yet. But I have still a couple of pcb’s. Send me your mail address in the pm so we can exchange details.
dreamerxb

Post by dreamerxb »

pmul128 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:35 am Ooops,
It’s to dreamerxb, I am not yet able to send PMs.
pmul128 I have your pm but can’t answer on it because I have no rights to do it yet. But I have still a couple of pcb’s. Send me your mail address in the pm so we can exchange details.
Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne »

Hello all,

Let me first introduce myself. My name is Ewald and I am located in the Netherlands.
I am an old time Acorn Atom lover. Bought my first one as a kit in the early 1980’s. Started programming the Basic examples from the “Atomic theory and practice” bible avoiding the pink or green pages as that seemed too complicated at the time. One day i thought to give it a try and to rewrite my BASIC memory copy program in an assembly language based version.
Executed it and immediately got the ATOM-prompt back, indicating to me that something must be wrong…
Looked up my code but couldn’t find anything obviously wrong and tried executing it a couple more times with the same result before I decided to take a look at some of the destination memory locations to see how far it came. To my surprise the whole block was already copied so the code was actually working!
This (to me at the time) incredible increase in execution speed compared to the BASIC-version completely baffled me.
From then on, I mostly tried to write my programs in assembly language. I learned an incredible lot about programming and computer hardware and architecture from this machine and i am very sure many of you on this forum must have had the same kind of experiences. Of course there was also an amazing acorn atom club here in the Netherlands of which i was a long time member that had an enormous amount of very clever, enthusiastic and knowledgable members that further encouraged me and others to learn more and more.
Old love never dies, so when after many years i stumbled across my 19” racked acorn atom again a few months ago i dusted it off and got it mostly working again. Looked on the internet and found to my surprise a whole lot of atom on the net, including many more or less recent hardware projects for this machine and other acorn machines (I must have an electron somewhere as well). I have missed many of the developments but try to catch up. Contacted Ronald Leurs and luckily he still has some kits available he’ll send me (ATOMMCv4, Noise killer, YARRB1 and YARRB mini) but I would love to build one or two HDMI interfaces as well.

That brings me (finally) to a concrete question: does anyone still have one or two video to HDMI adapter PCB’s for sale, dreamerxb perhaps? That would be great.

Sorry for this long first post!

Regards,

Ewald
dreamerxb

Post by dreamerxb »

Welcome Ewald, Yes I have some PCB's left. How many do you want to have :D

Regards Erik
Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne »

Hi Erik,
Thanks for your reply. Meanwhile i had have contact with Roland for some other items and he had a spare HDMI-board laying around as well that he sent together with the other items i ordered, so i have one already. Getting the CPLD from a reliable source seems to be another challenge though😊. You happen to have one of these?

Thanks anyway.

Regards,
Ewald
etaoin

Post by etaoin »

I got two CPLD when I built my board, so I actually have one left, and I am in NL as well. I can program and test it on my board to make sure it works (ebay source, but the other one is fine).
Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne »

Hi etaoin. That would be great! shall I pm you my details?
Thanks!
awk

Post by awk »

Hello Erik (or anyone on the thread),

I was an excited kid when I collected my first color Atom... with a whole 5K of memory! Time went by and I moved on to bigger things (like a BBC Micro). The Atom was left behind.

I found another Atom on eBay a while back, and Roland just furnished me with a YARRB and an AtoMMC. So it has all of the software, all of the memory, but it's still black and white.

Do you know where I can get a PCB for the video to HDMI adaptor, or should I plan on buying a surplus of boards for myself? :D

Alex

dreamerxb wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:57 am Welcome Ewald, Yes I have some PCB's left. How many do you want to have :D

Regards Erik
Arnold Layne

Post by Arnold Layne »

etaoin wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:49 pm I got two CPLD when I built my board, so I actually have one left, and I am in NL as well. I can program and test it on my board to make sure it works (ebay source, but the other one is fine).
Hi etaoin,
Do you still happen to have that spare CPLD?
Only today I found that you had seemingly sent me a pm, (likely soon after i asked if i should pm you my details) but removed that a few days ago.
Sorry i was not aware you’d pm’ed me.

I now understand that i can not pm you yet as i am a newbee to this forum.
If you still have that cpld that would be great.
Please pm me again so we can exchange details?

Thanks in advance,

Ewald
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

I know it's in the wrong Topic but,,

Welcome Ewald & Alex to this great Forum... :D

Nice the Atom \:D/, the nicest little horse of the Acorn stable... 8)

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

Arnold Layne wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:26 pm
Old love never dies, so when after many years i stumbled across my 19” racked acorn atom again a few months ago i dusted it off and got it mostly working again.

Regards,

Ewald
Like I said I know it's in the wrong Topic... 8)

But could you post perhaps a pic of your 19” rack ?... :mrgreen:

Yes I'm a tad :---) curious... :-)
etaoin

Post by etaoin »

Arnold Layne wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:30 am Hi etaoin,
Do you still happen to have that spare CPLD?
Yes and no. I was mistaken in the type. I have a spare XC9572XL, but in a PLCC44 package. But that's the one in the YARB.
The HDMI board needs the VQG44 package. So it won't fit.
roland

Post by roland »

Does it have to be a XC9572XL or will the code also fit in an XC9536XL? I never tried that. If it fits I have a spare XC9536XL.
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

roland wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:43 pm Does it have to be a XC9572XL or will the code also fit in an XC9536XL? I never tried that.
Sorry, it won't fit in a XC9536XL.

It barely fits in a XC9572XL:
https://github.com/hoglet67/RGBtoHDMI/b ... ting.notes

Dave
roland

Post by roland »

I just figured that out :lol:
Schermafdruk van 2022-11-26 20-53-23.png
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
awk

Post by awk »

Multiwizard wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:06 am I know it's in the wrong Topic but,,

Welcome Ewald & Alex to this great Forum... :D

Nice the Atom \:D/, the nicest little horse of the Acorn stable... 8)

Greetings from my little Dutch Atomic Attic, Wim... :-)
I'm delighted for the welcome and I appreciate the machine and what it's capable of a lot more these days! I also already follow you on YouTube...
(sorry also for being off topic, but didn't want to appear ungrateful for the welcome)
Anobium

Post by Anobium »

dreamerxb wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:57 am Welcome Ewald, Yes I have some PCB's left. How many do you want to have :D

Regards Erik
Same question. Is there a PCB available? If yes, how to obtain.

Thank you.
dreamerxb

Post by dreamerxb »

I have send you a PM

Greatings Erik

Return to “acorn atom and acorn system series”