Atom Video to HDMI Adapter

emulators, hardware and classic software for atom + system machines
-B-

Re: Atom Video to HDMI Adapter

Post by -B- »

hoglet wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:12 pm Did you add a new resolution file then? (for 1024x768@60Hz)?
No, I'm relying on the auto setting.
Maybe a proper setting will remove the margins?

Neil.
Atom | BBC Model A | BBC Model B | Electron | Olivetti PC128S.
-B-

Post by -B- »

Well, I should have checked my monitor storage unit before I splashed out that 5 euros. I already had one with DVI.

5655C66C-62DD-4CC3-928C-F6E5CD404A31.jpeg
IanB

Post by IanB »

-B- wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 2:14 pm Maybe a proper setting will remove the margins?
I made some changes with the latest commits that do try to eliminate the black margins in many resolutions but unfortunately, you can't get a perfect result where you have both integer scaling and the border exactly filling the screen with a 1024x768 monitor as the pixel ratios don't match up.
The latest version does automatically do that with 1600x1200, 1920x1200 and 1920x1080 monitors at the expense of cropping the border a little in some resolutions.

You can get a full screen with no black margins on a 1024x768 monitor in two ways but with some limitations:

1. Switch to CLEAR 4 and then call up the geometry menu and change the capture width to 256 and capture height to 192 (these values are named min width and min height in the latest version). Then adjust the H and V offsets to centre the picture, finally save the configuration.
This will display the text and graphics of the Atom display with no border at all but it will fill the screen with integer scaling.
(Use restore default config to return to normal)

Or

2. Call up preferences and change scaling from Integer to Fill 4:3. This will eliminate the black margins but the image will look ragged as it isn't being scaled by an integer value so after saving the configuration you need to switch on interpolation (which will prompt for a reboot so you must save the config first). This will fill the screen but the image will now be soft.
(Use restore default config and then switch off interpolation to return to normal)
etaoin

Post by etaoin »

Lucky they didn't over-package the CLPD then.
Attachments
IMG_7063.jpeg
etaoin

Post by etaoin »

Just a quick question: we have a female socket in J2, but the corresponding header for the Pi isn't listed on the BOM. I assume it needs to be fitted (for the reset button).
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

etaoin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:01 pm Just a quick question: we have a female socket in J2, but the corresponding header for the Pi isn't listed on the BOM. I assume it needs to be fitted (for the reset button).
Yes, a 2-pin male header does need fitting to the Pi for the reset button to work.

I've added that to the BOM - thanks for pointing out the omission.

Dave
anightin

Post by anightin »

Just a post to report another successful deployment of Hoglet's noise-killer board to complement the HDMI adapter.

Next job on the ATOM is to install Roland's RAM/ROM board which is built and hopefully ready to go after I get round to updating the CPLD -- I now have a Xilinx USB programmer so just working through the ins and outs of ISE Design Suite 14.7 WebPACK on Windows 10.
IMG_3605.jpeg
IMG_3603.jpeg
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

anightin wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:13 am Just a post to report another successful deployment of Hoglet's noise-killer board to complement the HDMI adapter.
Thanks for letting us know - it's always nice to hear about a successful deployment.
anightin

Post by anightin »

I was pleasantly surprised at what a difference it makes to the user experience :)
IanB

Post by IanB »

hoglet wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:47 pm Nice find... I didn't know these existed.
There are some other types on eBay.
I ended up using the 10cm version of this Micro SD card extension:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TV-TF-To-Mic ... 2444801142

I managed to get it to fit reasonably well although it does partially foul one of the bolt pillars:

card1.jpg

Fortunately it doesn't foul the hole itself so I just cut away half of the plastic pillar above the brass insert:

card2.jpg

I cut a slot in the case which is slightly smaller than the plastic card holder so it is held in place by pressure from the case bolts:
(the micro SD card doesn't normally stick out that much)

card3.jpg
Last edited by IanB on Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
etaoin

Post by etaoin »

Another working VRAM board. Interestingly, it didn't work with a brand new 55ns SRAM, but it works fine with an older 100ns one. But maybe that chip was DOA (I don't really have any way to tell).

By the way, the board currently has A13 (pin 26) to gnd. For it to be compatible with a real 8k x 8 SRAM, I think that needs to be tied to +5V.

HDMI-box next.
Attachments
IMG_7066.jpeg
-B-

Post by -B- »

etaoin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:54 am Lucky they didn't over-package the CLPD then.
They’ve done the same for me!
I suppose it reduces their waste bill by sending it to customers.

FA207C97-2DFF-4C1B-9FAC-36D0C7E33A16.jpeg

Neil.
-B-

Post by -B- »

Another one lives (building one for a friend).

89B77F1B-2CD8-40CB-BBB6-22086DD00C4D.jpeg
sparkyhall

Post by sparkyhall »

Looks like an Atom disk pack to the right of your picture :)
-B-

Post by -B- »

sparkyhall wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:28 pm Looks like an Atom disk pack to the right of your picture :)
Well spotted! Yes I got it on Saturday but had to take it to bits yesterday as one of the disks had some dirt on it which transferred to the head and it squeaked and scratched two disks so I had to clean it.

F237E0DF-62D2-491B-93E2-D7464D8AAAC1.jpeg

Neil.
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

That disc is covered in mould - I'd recommend not putting in a drive, as it will clog the heads.
-B-

Post by -B- »

hoglet wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:14 pm That disc is covered in mould - I'd recommend not putting in a drive, as it will clog the heads.
I found out the hard way. It appears to have damaged the surface, almost pattern like, of two disks so I’ve checked them all and cleaned the heads.

When the heads were dirty the disk squeaked while it was spinning.

Anyway, this is a video to HDMI adapter thread, I don’t want to hijack it with disk issues.

Neil.
etaoin

Post by etaoin »

etaoin wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:08 pmInterestingly, it didn't work with a brand new 55ns SRAM, but it works fine with an older 100ns one.
I have found that the 55ns SRAM works perfectly, after replacing the original white socket of the VDP by a modern precision one.

My white sockets probably haven't aged well. I've needed to replace the 8255 one earlier.

Will replace the CPU socket before I finish YARRB...
wolfgang

Post by wolfgang »

Another one is working. Great picture quality. Thanks Dave!!!
20190611_142815k.jpg
Today the last part to get it working (SN74LVC1G66DBV) arrived. The switches still haven't arrived in Germany, I did a temporary workaround. :)
20190611_142427k.jpg
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
BillG

Post by BillG »

Hi, just like to report I've got my HDMI board working as well (with one caveat - see later). Really excited and it's good. :D It's taken me quite a while as I knew I would come unstuck on CPLD programming - never done it before and I don't own a PC. So I tried getting Xilinx LabTools going on Windows 7 running inside VMWare on my Mac Powerbook and the DLC9G USB platform cable copy. It almost worked .... I could get the CPLD up and do checksum, ID, Blank Check, even make a jed file from the blank chip, but when it came to pressing programme ... I could only get cmd write buffer error. After a lot of fruitless experimentation with various drivers and getting into a confusing pickle I persuaded someone to lend me their windows 10 laptop which led to another round of frustration. Not being a windows person I got 32 bit LabTools to launch but no connection to the USB. Then only 64 bit drivers would load but 64 bit LabTools kept crashing out until I read the fix posted by Andy on page 6 of YARRB posts. Stunned when it programmed. Still feel I would like to get it working on my Mac, it's so close to working.

Anyway it works - I've only tried it so far on my spare 2K Atom. Really good picture but so far can only get limited colours on the second palette (image attached), not sure why at this point but I wonder about a dry joint somewhere. RV2 doesn't seem to do much, but the sync seems rock solid whatever. Anyway just had to post success!

regards

Bill
Attachments
IMG_1363.JPG
IMG_1364.JPG
-B-

Post by -B- »

...and another one (built for a friend).

1FE71654-2D3E-4050-BE45-F4BD14C1C127.jpeg

Neil.
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

BillG wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:28 pm Anyway it works - I've only tried it so far on my spare 2K Atom. Really good picture but so far can only get limited colours on the second palette (image attached), not sure why at this point but I wonder about a dry joint somewhere. RV2 doesn't seem to do much, but the sync seems rock solid whatever. Anyway just had to post success!
Well done getting this working, and for persevering with the nightmare Xilinx CPLD programmer software.

In the palette that contains cyan and orange, it should be possible to adjust RV2 so that the text is bright orange, and the semi graphics is normal orange. If it's having no effect at all, check the Palette setting is "Atom MKII Card Plus".

Dave
Last edited by hoglet on Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillG

Post by BillG »

Thanks Dave - I've been away for week but today found in my excitement had somehow corrupted the palette file, so once I'd reinstalled the Pi card files last night everything worked perfectly, RV2 adjusts as expected. The display is absolutely fantastic! Thanks for a great bit of kit.

Bill
bprosman

Post by bprosman »

Tried to order the case but the companies I found thus far charge 15...20 GBP for shipping to NL.
Thats 3..4 times the costs of the box.
So will look for a "Continental replacement".
Last edited by bprosman on Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-B-

Post by -B- »

bprosman wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:51 pm Tried to order the case but the companies I found thus far charge 15...20 GBP for shipping to NL.
Thats 3..4 times the costs of the box.
So will look for a "Continental replacement".
I saw the same so I ordered from eBay and paid about 2-3 times the value including postage. Not ideal but better than 4x.

Item number: 362373755103
etaoin

Post by etaoin »

I got my box from Farnell with free shipping to NL. But that might be for companies only.
roland

Post by roland »

I have a business account at Farnell so if I can help just let me know.
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
bprosman

Post by bprosman »

Hi Roland,

Thanks for the offer, I have as well but the Dutch Farnell doesn't seem to have it in their catalog.
I can check the UK site.

Return to “acorn atom and acorn system series”