Hard disk installation of new games.

sydney

Hard disk installation of new games.

Post by sydney »

I've recently got my beebscsi installed and so set about installing some games. I've only briefly tried out the following so simple fixes may exist.
I installed Stunt car racer and it works very well with the exception of saving/loading. I presume the game is hard coded to use DFS? If not any ideas on how to get it to work?
Prince of Persia doesn't want to work at all from HD. I know it's pushing the master all the way so maybe it's just not possible.
The Darkness of Raven Wood also doesn't work. I seem to remember the game relies on grabbing data from the middle of files so this is perhaps reliant on DFS so to be expected.

I'm certainly not complaining and don't for one second think fixes should be released as I'm quite happy running the games from floppy.
Given the growing number of HD equipped machines - particularly Masters I'd imagine - could HD installation be something that is considered in future releases?
trixster

Re: Hard disk installation of new games.

Post by trixster »

I dunno if it’s relevant, but The Darkness of Ravenwood works from a cf card on a datacentre under adfs. Is a BeebSCSI not similar to that?
sydney

Post by sydney »

Hmm. I'll give it another go later.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

sydney wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:24 pm Hmm. I'll give it another go later.
Are you using radiorama’s separate ADFS-compatible version of Raven Wood?:
:?:
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

sydney wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:47 pm I installed Stunt car racer and it works very well with the exception of saving/loading. I presume the game is hard coded to use DFS? If not any ideas on how to get it to work?

Prince of Persia doesn't want to work at all from HD. I know it's pushing the master all the way so maybe it's just not possible.
I’m surprised SCR loads at all! We did look at making it ADFS compatible (mostly for Master Compact) but we’re playing fast & loose with Hazel RAM. For Master DFS / MAMMFS we can get away with using &C300 - &DF00 and still be able to do regular OSFILE operations for the save game system. ADFS uses considerably more pages (at least another couple of K) which leaves us short for what’s needed at runtime.

POP is similarly challenged (using all available Hazel RAM under DFS) but with the added complication that it loads the level & sprite data as direct sector reads using OSWORD &7F. Although everything fits under 200K on one side of a 80T DFS disc, I needed another 20+ catalog entries. Choices were splitting across two disc images or hacking together a simple “PAK” file system. It wouldn’t be difficult to change everything back to individual files, to be ADFS compatible, but for the Hazel RAM quandary...
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

Return to “bitshifters (new bbc master games)”