Dutch Techsat 2019

threads relating to past classic gaming/computing events
oss003

Dutch Techsat 2019

Post by oss003 »

Hi all,

a new Dutch Atomic Techsat is planned at June 8th 2019 from 10:00 - 17:00h.
The main focus will be Atom hard- and software but other related hard- and software is also welcome.

The address is:

Triton
Jasmijnstraat 36
8171AP Vaassen

The entrance is free but we ask a contribution of € 2.50 per person for coffee and lunch. After the meeting we are having diner at a restaurant in the neighbourhood. This diner is not included in this contribution :mrgreen:

Please answer this topic or send Wim a PM if you are planning to come so that he knows how many sandwiches have to be made ...:)
Confirmed:
  1. multiwizard (Wim)
  2. oss003 (Kees)
  3. roland (Roland)
  4. bprosman (Bram)
  5. leendert (Leendert)
  6. -B- (Neil)
  7. markdryan (Mark)
  8. janrinze (JanRinze)
  9. (Bram)
  10. (Dick)
  11. (Peter)
  12. (Theo) ... canceled
  13. (Rick)
  14. (Louis)
  15. (Marc)
Tentative:
See you on the TechSat!

Greetings,
Kees
Last edited by oss003 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:18 am, edited 22 times in total.
roland

Re: Dutch Techsat 2019

Post by roland »

You can also use this link to enter your availability: https://datumprikker.nl/paxpa7rv39j5hbuf
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Updated attendee list

Greetings
Kees
Last edited by oss003 on Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Ok guys,

the date for the Dutch Techsat 2019 is set at: June 8th 2019.

Greetings
Kees
-B-

Post by -B- »

Put me down as a definite.
I might only be there for an hour or two but I will attend.

Neil.
Atom | BBC Model A | BBC Model B | Electron | Olivetti PC128S.
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

-B- wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:27 pm Put me down as a definite.
I might only be there for an hour or two but I will attend.

Neil.
Nice... =D>

Greetings, Wim... :-)
TimoHartong

Post by TimoHartong »

I also put it the Dutch Big Ben Club facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bigbenclub/
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Ok, attendee list updated ....
TimoHartong

Post by TimoHartong »

Beste oss003,

Ik zag je prive bericht maar om een of andere reden kan ik er niet op reageren. Ja de Big Ben Club bestaat nog steeds en er is officieel nog steeds een werkgroep 8 bitters. Ik denk dat Elst de beste plaats is om ze te vinden maar ook Facebook ( de nederlandse Big Ben en de engelse Acorn ) zitten actieve 8 bitters.

Greets,
Timo
TimoHartong

Post by TimoHartong »

Ik zag de mail maar ik kan nog steeds geen pm sturen ;-(
RobGT

Post by RobGT »

Timo,

You can send a PM on this forum when you have 25 posts or more.

Rob (yes)
oss003

Post by oss003 »

TimoHartong wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:49 pm Ik zag de mail maar ik kan nog steeds geen pm sturen ;-(
Or ask one of the moderators .... ;)

Greetings
Kees
janrinze

Post by janrinze »

Hoi heren,

Ik had even niet door dat het in Vaassen is. Dat is een stukje dichter bij Groningen :-)
Thuis overlegd en afgesproken dat ik naar de TechSat kan komen dus ik ben er ook op 8 juni.

Even kijken wat ik allemaal mee kan nemen.
We zullen zien.

Groeten uit het hoge noorden!
oss003

Post by oss003 »

janrinze wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:39 pm Hoi heren,

Ik had even niet door dat het in Vaassen is. Dat is een stukje dichter bij Groningen :-)
Thuis overlegd en afgesproken dat ik naar de TechSat kan komen dus ik ben er ook op 8 juni.

Even kijken wat ik allemaal mee kan nemen.
We zullen zien.

Groeten uit het hoge noorden!
Is genoteerd ...... tot 8 juni.

Groeten
Kees
-B-

Post by -B- »

Thanks to the post above, I have just realised that it isn't in the same place as last year.
So I will have to change my plans.
Don't worry, I am still coming.

Neil.
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Sorry guys, I forgot to add the opening/closing times.
It's from 10:00 - 17:00h, updated the first post.

Greetings
Kees
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi,

sad news... :-(

I just received a letter from Theo he wrote me he can't come to the meeting next Saturday (June 8th) ... :-(

Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi,

a little question...

Has someone (coming next week to the meeting) a spare one of these? [-o< :

download/file.php?id=9364&mode=view

(for a Issue4 Atom)

Thanks in advance...
Last edited by Multiwizard on Fri May 31, 2019 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-B-

Post by -B- »

Has nobody made a 3D printer design of that yet?
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Attendee list updated ....
4 days to go and counting down ....

Greetings
Kees
Last edited by oss003 on Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roland

Post by roland »

I am ready :lol:
image.jpg
-B-

Post by -B- »

Ik ook...

E9F3707C-6590-4234-81B5-F7BAE2DFA4DC.jpeg
bprosman

Post by bprosman »

Unfortunately due to family circumstances I couldnt be there :( .
Looking forward to pictures (if any have been made).
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

I also would love to see some photos, and read some posts about the days activities.

Dave
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Ok guys ..... time for a little writeup:

It was very windy when Roland and me arrived in Vaassen, Wim already prepared the location to have nice setups for the systems.
After greeting all people and setting up our Atoms, we were ready to show our projects.

Neil arrived with his Atom showing Dave's HDMI converter which worked great. He had added his newly designed sticker on top of the case and it looked very professional. Last year, at the Tecsat in Wijbosch, he was dreaming about having his own Atom with a lot of nice features and now ..... he has got a nice working Atom.

Wim brought his ABM Atom and had a surprise which should be revealed at 14:00h. I don't want to tell more about it because I think Wim will be pleased to do that himself.

I had my Atom2015 with me and did some testing with playing videos like Bad Apple and a Bruce Lee movie. Looks like the original AtoMMC board is a lot slower than the AtoMMC in Rolands new Atom2018 ...... 30 fps is great in clear4 ...

Roland showed his new Atom2018 in a plexiglass case which looked great because of all the blinking leds on the inside. He also had an RPi connected to the 1MHz bus to show some great graphics like Mandelbrot.

Leendert also brought his Atom and some FPGA projects which he is working on.

Mark was still working on his ARM Basic compiler and it looks very promising. He can run several test programs, including graphics en error handling. He also had his Atom with him which needed a bit of fine-tuning to run AGD games.

JanRinze is busy with several Atom FPGA projects and just got his Icestorm Atom running. He also showed his 16-bits operating system with Basic.

Bram was for the first time at a Techsat but is a familiar name in the Dutch Atom User Group. In the past he has written some articles in Atom News and still has his Atom. I think he is trying to get it running again after seeing more Atoms on the Techsat .... ;)

Dick is also a former Dutch Atom User Group member and enjoyed talking with people about Atoms and the early days. He has a lot of computers and kits and IIRC he also has an Atom but I'm not sure.

Louis attended a Techsat for the second time and restarted his Atomagination project which he described in Atom News in 1992. He wants to build a new Eurocard Atom with standard TTL and CMOS chips but first has to be sure that his schematic is ok. Looked good but still a long way to go.

We didn't work a lot on projects that day but had great conversations about projects, showing things we were working on and got some inspiration.
Finally a big thanks to Wim for organizing the venue, food and drinks .... and he will probably upload some photo's soon.

Greetings
Kees
Last edited by oss003 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roland

Post by roland »

[ Kees just beat me to post a report - since I have typed this in I will publish it as another point of view :lol: ]

Kees and I arrived at about 10:30u. There were quite a few people (Mark, Neil, Wim, Leendert, Louis).

Neil and Wim had their Atoms already set up, Mark was waiting for my TV set. After unpacking our stuff we started to look around. Mark got the TV set so he could start up his Electron and Atom (not simultaneously) and demonstrated his (AP5?) expansion with Raspi co-pro and Beebscsi. He showed me the Arm co-pro running at 1 GHZ and drawing fractals and a hat in ArmBasic. That triggered me to test this co-pro on my Atom and we got it some kind of working. I adjusted the "hat" program and my Atom drew some kind of hat :? Arm Basic was not running very stable as it crashed several time while I edited the program.
Kees did some hardware research to Mark's Atom because it did not run all the AGD games. It turned out that the #A00 gap was the problem. On his Ram/Rom board that was set up for the disk controller; after poking ?#BFFE=2 the games worked. Some programs, like Manic Miner did not work as expected and that was because LK2 (VIA interrupts) was not closed. Time to get the soldering iron out of the box. After that, the games run fine.

I brought an Atom Disk Pack for Neil; we tested it on his Yarrb'ed Atom and it worked fine. So he went home with a disk pack, some spare drives and a few floppies.

I had to tell the story about the Atom 2k18 several times. They all had respect for what is possible nowadays. I also told them that Hoglet is a great help for this project so the credits also go to him. I demonstrated several programs like the co-pro, Bad Apple ( @ 8 MHz) and of course also the 1 MHz FPGA adapter with the Mandelbrot demo.

Jan arrived in the afternoon with his Atom FPGA and 16 bit Atom basic creations. He had some trouble to get the PS/2 keyboard working again because some files were not published to Github. But I think at the end he found them back somewhere on his disk.

Wim showed his Domesday Project that he got working with his BBC Master. It's amazing what they achieved in those day. Neil explained to me how this project was set up and where it was mostly used as I could not imagine that this setup could be found in many houses.

By 17:00 most people already went home and so did Kees and I. It was really a nice day and it was good to see some people from the past. One thing is clear: it's amazing that after 40 years the Atom keeps us still busy.

Thanks to Wim and his wife for organizing this event. And thanks to all who visited this TechSat.

(Photos will follow; Wim will publish these within a few days.)
markdryan

Post by markdryan »

I'd just like to express my thanks to Wim and Kees for organising the event (and for fixing my Atom). I had a great time and it was really nice to meet everyone in person. I was planning to do a bit of coding but instead spent the day chatting, drinking coffee, eating biscuits and playing with Atoms in all their varied and unexpected forms.
-B-

Post by -B- »

Thanks Wim for organising another great Atomic Techsat. It was good to see again the people I met last year and also some new faces.

Earlier this year I bought an Atom so I was able to contribute and bring it along. However, I spent most of my time talking to other people and looking at the amazing things that are being done with Atoms and the FPGA projects.

Roland's Atom 2018 looked fantastic in the transparent case and, of course, I had to look up my home town on Wim's Doomsday system.
I saw Kees was running CP/M but I didn't get to talk to him about it. Something to try when I get the co-processor installed.

I thought about taking my Electron with me and I wish I had because Mark is doing some intersting stuff with an almost identical setup.

Thanks to Kees for the AtomSID board and thanks also to Roland for the Disk Pack that came home with me.

Looking forward to next year.

Neil.
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi,

it's hard for me to express my myself (the right way) :oops:

I also like to thank everyone coming to this meeting =D> , I really enjoyed it it's always one of my highlights of a year... \:D/

And yes, it was a pretty long and hard quest to make my biggest dream come true but yes, I finally have (since 20-02-2019) "a" good working Domesday system (1st one) in the Netherlands... :D

There is more to come about this, but all in good time... 8)

Edit: that's why the last few weeks I tried to persuade (through pm) flynnjs (Jason) to come to this meeting, he knows exactly how to work with the Domesday system...
Attachments
P1280749 1st.JPG
P1280750.JPG
P1280751.JPG
P1280753.JPG
P1280755.JPG
P1280757.JPG
P1280762.JPG
P1280766.JPG
P1280767.JPG
P1280770.JPG
Last edited by Multiwizard on Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “past events & exhibitions”