MAME: How to ... ?

discuss bbc micro and electron emulators (including mame) here!
james

Re: MAME: How to ... ?

Post by james »

Pernod wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:04 pm Try adding "-intube 65c102,bios=120", though it's much easier to select it from the internal UI.

Code: Select all

% mame bbcmt -bios mos350 -intube 65c102,bios=120
Error: unknown option: -intube
Though "mame bbcm -bios ..." does start MAME with the correct BIOSes selected. Though the Master hangs after it prints "BASIC".

Tube 1.20 isn't essential. I'm just experementing, learning. So I'll stick with the UI, as you suggest.
Pernod wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:04 pm Sounds like you have UI controls enabled and have pressed 'P' to pause.
Ah, yes. Operator error. Thanks for your help!
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

james wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:28 pm
Pernod wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:04 pm Try adding "-intube 65c102,bios=120", though it's much easier to select it from the internal UI.

% mame bbcmt -bios mos350 -intube 65c102,bios=120
Error: unknown option: -intube
Though "mame bbcm -bios ..." does start MAME with the correct BIOSes selected. Though the Master hangs after it prints "BASIC".
The -intube option on the bbcmt is not available as it's a 'fixed' part of the machine, whereas on bbcm you are free to configure it.

The Master hanging sounds like it's configured to Boot a floppy. Try SPACE+BREAK to get a prompt, and *CONFIGURE NOBOOT.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
james

Post by james »

Pernod wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:57 pm The Master hanging sounds like it's configured to Boot a floppy. Try SPACE+BREAK to get a prompt, and *CONFIGURE NOBOOT.
It's configured as No Boot:
Screenshot 2023-09-21 at 17.16.32.png
However, *co. tube and then [Break] and BASIC prints its banner, then hangs.

After doing a space-[Break] there is a * prompt and the MOS responds normally. Entering any language, eg *BASIC, causes the hang after printing its name (as does *EDIT, *WORD and *SHEET)

The ROMS are from mame roms_245.zip and mame's roms directory contains: AMXMSE361.rom, bbc_acorn1770.zip, bbc_tube_65c102.zip, bbc_tube_arm.zip, bbcb.zip, bbcm.zip, saa5050.zip

But "mame bbcmt" works without a problem.
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

james wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:28 pm However, *co. tube and then [Break] and BASIC prints its banner, then hangs.

After doing a space-[Break] there is a * prompt and the MOS responds normally. Entering any language, eg *BASIC, causes the hang after printing its name (as does *EDIT, *WORD and *SHEET)
Not sure what to suggest, the only difference between the bbcm and bbcmt machines is that bbcmt has the 65c102 copro added by default, they're identical.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
james

Post by james »

Not a problem - thanks for your help
dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley »

Where do I look for the most recent set of ROMs for Acorn - I'm wanting to debug some Communicator stuff but the zip here viewtopic.php?p=363297&hilit=mame+roms+245#p363297

I'm not sure where I'm supposed to look for the latest rom set?

PS: I'm trying to use this with mame 260b and it's complaining about saa5240a being missing
PPS: I tried mame 245b and same result

D
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

dominicbeesley wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:46 pm PS: I'm trying to use this with mame 260b and it's complaining about saa5240a being missing
Everything can be found at https://archive.org/download/mame-merged/mame-merged/

The zip posted on the forum contains 8bit stuff only.
- Nigel

dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley »

Thanks Nigel,

There's a lot of zips there - do I need to download them all? If so I can't see a way to do it on archive.org; if not which files do I need I tried just accomm.zip but getting the same error.

PS: Where do I start looking for your Communicator sources? I'm trying to disassemble to the MOS/Kernel and I'm interested in what the bank 44 registers are doing

D
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

dominicbeesley wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:47 pm There's a lot of zips there - do I need to download them all? If so I can't see a way to do it on archive.org; if not which files do I need I tried just accomm.zip but getting the same error.
If you go up a level there's a torrent link for everything (~40,000 machines). For the Communicator you should only need accomm.zip and saa5240a.zip (saa5240b.zip for Italian version)
dominicbeesley wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:47 pm PS: Where do I start looking for your Communicator sources? I'm trying to disassemble to the MOS/Kernel and I'm interested in what the bank 44 registers are doing
Source at https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/ma ... accomm.cpp

Any write to bank 44 simply disables the ROM.
- Nigel

dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley »

Thanks,

Towards the start of the reset sequence there's a read of 440000 which looks like it does something...is it just writes?

D
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

dominicbeesley wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:26 pm Towards the start of the reset sequence there's a read of 440000 which looks like it does something...is it just writes?
Current code only disables ROM on writes, but I think we have since proved it's both read and writes.
- Nigel

dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley »

Daft question which I've asked before: what key is mapped to Escape? Escape seems to be mapped to HELP on my machine (I'm sure you've told me this before)

Another one - what's the easiest way to turn down mame's sound - the beep when I get the wrong key is very loud!

I'm not sure that is true (reads should disable rom mapping to 00 bank) - it looks like it would probably crash if that happens as it seems to do a ldal 440000 at 00b052 before it's done the trampoline to rom at b096 (which does a write to 440000 to swap out ROM and then goes a long jump back to ffb09a to continue running from ROM. I may be missing a nuance but I can't see it. That whole part seems unnecessarily complex to me I would say that a straight

clc
	xce
	jml	HERE
HERE:
	stal	440000
would do the trick so long as HERE as assembled as FF<HERE>. So maybe the ldal 440000's are rubbish or left over from something else?

I'll start a separate thread if I find anything else out that looks dodgy if you're interested.
bob147

Post by bob147 »

You should be able to press scroll lock to enable the menu/gui keys, then press tab to open the menu, go to 'input settings / input assignments - this system' and find all the mappings there.
dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley »

Thanks Bob I'll try that. I worked out the scroll lock thing but didn't see the input assignments....

I have had the debugger working and it's been really helpful with understanding the early part of the reset sequence.

D
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

dominicbeesley wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:05 pm Daft question which I've asked before: what key is mapped to Escape? Escape seems to be mapped to HELP on my machine (I'm sure you've told me this before)

Another one - what's the easiest way to turn down mame's sound - the beep when I get the wrong key is very loud!
Escape is mapped to Backspace (as that's where it's physically located on the Communicator keyboard). All key assignments can be viewed, and changed, in the Input Assignments menu.

The volume can also be adjusted from the internal menu Slider Options -> Master Volume.
- Nigel

dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley »

Thanks for your help

D
dominicbeesley

Post by dominicbeesley »

Bah, stuck again - and again it's probably a stupid thing but I can't find anything online. The debugger was working fine for a while but now it won't accept any commands. I can type the command in the box at the bottom but pressing enter doesn't execute the command, instead it seems to single-step the debugger. I've tried exiting and re-booting but now its stuck its stuck, any ideas?

D

PS: I accidentally worked it out - TAB seems to unstick something. I think it gets in this state when I press alt-tab
james

Post by james »

Does Mame provide a host filing system for the Master emulation?
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

james wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:41 pm Does Mame provide a host filing system for the Master emulation?
No.
- Nigel

james

Post by james »

I'm having a go at rolling my own Master MOS ROM and was wondering if it's possible to specify it (eg from the command line) rather than the one (ie mos3[2,5]0.ic24) embedded in roms/bbcm.zip ?
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

james wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:50 pm I'm having a go at rolling my own Master MOS ROM and was wondering if it's possible to specify it (eg from the command line) rather than the one (ie mos3[2,5]0.ic24) embedded in roms/bbcm.zip ?
There's no option from the command line, but you can simply replace the mos320.ic24 in bbcm.zip with your own ROM and it will load it and warn you of incorrect checksum. You must start bbcm from the command line for this to work, selecting bbcm from the UI will refuse to run complaining of incorrect ROMs.
- Nigel

james

Post by james »

Thanks - rather than replace the ROM in the existing bbcm.zip, I've created another bbcm.zip and prepended the new rom location to the configured rom path, this sort of thing:

zip bbcm.zip ./mos350.ic24 
mame bbcm -bios mos350 -rp "$(pwd);$HOME/Beeb/mame/roms"
As you say there is a checksum warning, but it seems to work for the purposes of testing.

Return to “8-bit acorn emulators”