Wakefield RISC OS show 27/4/19

threads relating to past classic gaming/computing events
shawty

Re: Wakefield RISC OS show 27/4/19

Post by shawty »

Just looking at the post at the top attending/exhibiting etc...

If I'm feeling energetic, I MIGHT do some live coding sessions if anyone's interested.

:-D
Been around I.T. since the Beeb was born, maybe you've seen me around :D
sydney

Post by sydney »

This is the hotel: https://www.cedarcourthotels.co.uk/hotels/wakefield
If you want to exhibit I'd be able to share my table with you as I'll only have my master with me and its possible to fit 3 machines on a table. Have a look at the end of this thread for some photo's from 2017 to give an idea of how much space you get.
It's mainly a RISCOS event but us 8 bitters usually account for around 25% of the exhibitors.
shawty

Post by shawty »

sydney wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:03 am This is the hotel: https://www.cedarcourthotels.co.uk/hotels/wakefield
If you want to exhibit I'd be able to share my table with you as I'll only have my master with me and its possible to fit 3 machines on a table. Have a look at the end of this thread for some photo's from 2017 to give an idea of how much space you get.
It's mainly a RISCOS event but us 8 bitters usually account for around 25% of the exhibitors.
Maybe... Not that I have anything to exhibit :-( I just thought it might be interesting to do some live coding.

That said, I did the DIBI conference one year in Newcastle, where I set up an "Authentic Computer Software Development & Learning" experience.

Essentially what I did was set up RiscOS open on a PI, then closed down the desktop etc and left it stuck in in Basic V mode, plugged a Kbd etc in, left a pile of manuals on the table, and then challenged all the modern day developers attending to "write a program"

It was actually, really well received, and it was funny watching how many folks typed various commands they thought would connect to the internet as a way to get started.

BBC BASIC V
> "open google"
SYNTAX ERROR
> "display help webpage"

etc, etc.

So I could be possibly persuaded to do something like that.

Another thing I did at one of the DDD events I presented at, I had 90 minutes, so I took cues from the audience, and live coded an app from start to finish, based on the cues shouted out to me. My laptop screen was mirrored up on a large screen for folks to see as I did.

So plenty of scope for mischief. :-D

As for Archie's... I'm just as much a RiscOS fan-boy as I am a Beeber. Even today, I thing there are a LOT of features in RiscOS, that many other OS's desktops should adopt.
danielj

Post by danielj »

I ran some coding challenges there a couple of years ago with machines running BCPL, Forth and Pascal. BCPL actually got used in anger :D

d.
shawty

Post by shawty »

danielj wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:26 am I ran some coding challenges there a couple of years ago with machines running BCPL, Forth and Pascal. BCPL actually got used in anger :D

d.
HA HA HA.

Been a looooooong time since I did anything in BCPL.

Aside from that, I pretty much code everything in anger these days....
shawty

Post by shawty »

And hotel is booked.......

Good prices too.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

We didn't quite manage to do this at the Bristol show, but I wanted to show off some Beebs with Pi second processors which can therefore do 32-bit computing, whether Basic on ARM or one of the high level languages on the Nat Semi 32k copro (Lisp Fortran C Pascal Basic). There is a showreel program for the ns32k too. I think you need PanOS on an ADFS to run that.

(Also in PiTubeDirect there's the OPC7, a homebrew 32 bit CPU, but there's very little software indeed, just a Pi calculator I think, built in. There are also some BCPL examples, which have to be cross-compiled.)
sydney

Post by sydney »

Last chance for anyone wanting to share my table. If there is no interest I'll be trying to borrow a master from someone so that I can demonstrate some of the great stuff that has been released lately such as Stunt Car Racer and Prince of Persia. Also possibly try to get Double Phantom up and running.
I'm also planning on running a High Score Challenge again.
shawty

Post by shawty »

sydney wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:31 pm Last chance for anyone wanting to share my table. If there is no interest I'll be trying to borrow a master from someone so that I can demonstrate some of the great stuff that has been released lately such as Stunt Car Racer and Prince of Persia. Also possibly try to get Double Phantom up and running.
Yep, as I said, I'll dig out all my old BBC/Electron related books and bring them with me.
shawty

Post by shawty »

shawty wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:08 pm
sydney wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:31 pm Last chance for anyone wanting to share my table. If there is no interest I'll be trying to borrow a master from someone so that I can demonstrate some of the great stuff that has been released lately such as Stunt Car Racer and Prince of Persia. Also possibly try to get Double Phantom up and running.
Yep, as I said, I'll dig out all my old BBC/Electron related books and bring them with me.
OH and while I remember, i have some 5.25's that I have no idea what's on them, who's going to be around that can image them to a USB key chain for me ???
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

I'll have the gear there to do that, no worries. :D
Last edited by flaxcottage on Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
shawty

Post by shawty »

Cheers John, I'll bring disks and USB with me :-)
danielj

Post by danielj »

I'll have a kryoflux with me too, I think. that's my plan anyway :D

d.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

That will be great, D. Maybe I'll bring mine and learn how the darn thing works. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
shawty

Post by shawty »

danielj wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:58 pm I'll have a kryoflux with me too, I think. that's my plan anyway :D

d.
SO it's nothing to do with "Kylo Ren" then :-D
danielj

Post by danielj »

Hope not, I suspect I wouldn't have the kit to deal with that sort of scenario. :?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

shawty wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:22 pm
danielj wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:58 pm I'll have a kryoflux with me too, I think. that's my plan anyway :D

d.
Be careful of the dark side....
shawty

Post by shawty »

1024MAK wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:07 pm
shawty wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:22 pm

d.
Be careful of the dark side....
BUt that's what lead us all to being 8-bitters in the first place :-D (Sorry beer+shawty = silly)
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

BigEd wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:08 am We didn't quite manage to do this at the Bristol show, but I wanted to show off some Beebs with Pi second processors which can therefore do 32-bit computing, whether Basic on ARM or one of the high level languages on the Nat Semi 32k copro (Lisp Fortran C Pascal Basic). There is a showreel program for the ns32k too. I think you need PanOS on an ADFS to run that.
You can run PanOS on DFS (suffixes are translated into DFS prefixes), but it struggles a bit, especially as PanOS runs *everything* from disk, even CAT.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
RobC

Post by RobC »

sydney wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:31 pm Also possibly try to get Double Phantom up and running.
I'll bring my user port cable and Voltmace joysticks. It would be useful if someone has a spare set of double Voltmace joysticks.

I'm really hoping to have Doom working in time for the show. Possibly even multi-player if I can get my head round the networking stuff...
BigEd wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:08 am We didn't quite manage to do this at the Bristol show, but I wanted to show off some Beebs with Pi second processors which can therefore do 32-bit computing, whether Basic on ARM or one of the high level languages on the Nat Semi 32k copro (Lisp Fortran C Pascal Basic). There is a showreel program for the ns32k too. I think you need PanOS on an ADFS to run that.
I had the Panos demos and other co-pros running briefly (possibly when you and Rich were at lunch) as someone was interested in seeing what the Pi co-pro could do. I gave them my details so that they could get a copy of my hard disk image but I haven't heard from them yet.
mr-macrisc

Post by mr-macrisc »

RobC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:01 am
sydney wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:31 pm Also possibly try to get Double Phantom up and running.
I'll bring my user port cable and Voltmace joysticks. It would be useful if someone has a spare set of double Voltmace joysticks.

I'm really hoping to have Doom working in time for the show. Possibly even multi-player if I can get my head round the networking stuff...
I had the Panos demos and other co-pros running briefly (possibly when you and Rich were at lunch) as someone was interested in seeing what the Pi co-pro could do. I gave them my details so that they could get a copy of my hard disk image but I haven't heard from them yet.
Multilayer doom!!! Now yer just showing off and giving yeself far too much to do 😁
RobC

Post by RobC »

mr-macrisc wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:54 am Multilayer doom!!! Now yer just showing off and giving yeself far too much to do 😁
:D
To be honest, the low-level networking code is really well abstracted so hooking it into something like Sprow's Ethernet board should be straightforward. Need to get the game running first though :oops:
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

RobC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:01 am
Oh, well done! We did have quite a long lunch break...
SpaceFlightOrange

Post by SpaceFlightOrange »

RobC wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:01 am I'll bring my user port cable and Voltmace joysticks. It would be useful if someone has a spare set of double Voltmace joysticks.
Rob, Do you have a Voltmace user port adapter for the Delta 14/B? I had to re-wire my joystick, and it would be great to know if I got it right! (I don't have the adaptor, the Joystick itself works fine)

If so, would it be ok to bring my joystick along? [-o<
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B), IFEL TurboMMC, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro, VideoNuLA

Master 128, Watford Quest Mouse, Gotek, Pi-Zero internal CoPro, Pi-1Mhz HDD, RGBtoHDMI

Opus Dual 40/80 FDD
RobC

Post by RobC »

SpaceFlightOrange wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:05 pm Rob, Do you have a Voltmace user port adapter for the Delta 14/B? I had to re-wire my joystick, and it would be great to know if I got it right! (I don't have the adaptor, the Joystick itself works fine)
Unfortunately, I don't think so. I have a vague recollection of seeing one somewhere but I'm pretty sure it wasn't in anything I've bought/collected. I think I have the three button double joysticks and another single one but that's all.
danielj

Post by danielj »

I've got a 14/B without the userport adaptor if that's any help?
d.
SpaceFlightOrange

RobC wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:44 pm Unfortunately, I don't think so. I have a vague recollection of seeing one somewhere but I'm pretty sure it wasn't in anything I've bought/collected. I think I have the three button double joysticks and another single one but that's all.
ah. no worries. I think I misunderstood when you mentioned a user port connector. However, if you want me to bring my Delta 14, i can do. but I don't have a twin joystick setup, sorry.
James

BBC Model A Issue 3 (Upgraded to Model B), IFEL TurboMMC, IFEL ROMRAM-B4, Pi-Zero CoPro, VideoNuLA

Master 128, Watford Quest Mouse, Gotek, Pi-Zero internal CoPro, Pi-1Mhz HDD, RGBtoHDMI

Opus Dual 40/80 FDD
RobC

Post by RobC »

SpaceFlightOrange wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:31 pm I think I misunderstood when you mentioned a user port connector. However, if you want me to bring my Delta 14, i can do. but I don't have a twin joystick setup, sorry.
Ah - sorry. The user port cable is a Beeb2Beeb link for Double Phantom. If you could bring your joystick please, that would be great.

Thinking about it, the Voltmace user port adapter may have been on the charity stall at one of the RISC OS shows (possibly SW) but I might be wrong.
SpaceFlightOrange

RobC wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:47 pm If you could bring your joystick please, that would be great.

Thinking about it, the Voltmace user port adapter may have been on the charity stall at one of the RISC OS shows (possibly SW) but I might be wrong.
Will do :D
James

Opus Dual 40/80 FDD
JonC

Post by JonC »

sydney wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:31 pm If there is no interest I'll be trying to borrow a master from someone so that I can demonstrate some of the great stuff that has been released lately such as Stunt Car Racer and Prince of Persia. Also possibly try to get Double Phantom up and running.
Did you manage to sort a Master? If not I can pop round with mine (I only live 30 mins away). :lol:

Return to “past events & exhibitions”