ABUG Canada West - January 26 2019 Meetup #7

threads for previous physical ABug events held in Canada
KarateEd

ABUG Canada West - January 26 2019 Meetup #7

Post by KarateEd »

Hi Folks,

Well, ABUG Canada is alive and well.

Today we had several successes, some of them after minor failures.

This was playing when Paul came in and when he left....

https://youtu.be/M1nwRxOU-HE

List of items looked at/fixed/stored for the future.....

Paul had a poorly master that had the dreaded long beep. When he adds to this post, I'll let him narratre the story.
He also wanted to do an external control for an internal Gotek and it seems the prototype might be in place. I'll let Paul tell that story too.
I have a GBS-8200 that needs work to make it useable. It's new but the thing here is that Paul printed me a case for it to be housed, thanks very much Paul!!! ....... :D :D :D
I still have an issue with my Gotek screen. I added a new 2nd one.....it died too. Today I added 2 that died, the 3rd and last one so far is working.
I had a broken Z key on my RetroClinic Master. Mark mailed me some key switches and I've repaired that. Thanks very much Mark, great, as usual, service of your grateful customers.
We played Arcadians trying to best our scores and neither of us came close....very frustrating but fun.

Paul and his 'Kamikaze move......

https://youtu.be/mIQMMaeoNNM

Hard to get a good game going one-handed.......with Dennis the Menace playing in the background. I love my M500 running 5000 software.

https://youtu.be/r5aIYdeveDc

So, here are the pictures of our meetup that I have so far. Paul will send the other pictures as he gets them uploaded.
Thanks Paul for the GBS-8200 enclosure.  it will get good use and is much appreciated.
Thanks Paul for the GBS-8200 enclosure. it will get good use and is much appreciated.
Paul printed this for me to enclose the GBS-8200 card so now I will have to build that, another project, yes? Thanks Paul..... :D :D :D
There's work to do it would seem.
There's work to do it would seem.
The two main things that I wanted to get done we to fix my Gotek screen (glad I bought several of them) and in the end, I did. it was my first port of call today. There is the broken screened Gotek and the screen in the static bag waiting for me to do the work. Beside these are some key switches for my Master. I was playing Mushrooms and I felt the Z key give way. It worked for a few more games so I thought it had just 'caught' but it failed to work at all after awhile. I let Mark know this, wasn't expecting him to send anything really but he offered to send me not just a replacement switch but 3 of them, now THAT'S SERVICE.....It's very much appreciated Mark.
Sweet, working again.
Sweet, working again.
The story behind this Gotek is that it kills screens. I doubt if it's the Gotek's fault, I think the screens may have had a bad run, maybe no quality control. All I know is the screen died not too long after I had it so I ordered some and put a new one in.....success!!!.....then epic fail. Another broken screen. Today my task was to put another new screen in. I had 3 spare so not to worry.....until......another one broke, then another one. Now I was down to 1 screen left. I put that one in and voila, it worked. It's still working but my 2nd screen took a few days to crash and burn so we'll reserve judgement, but for now I have a completely working Gotek.....yay...!!!
A bit of fun for Paul
A bit of fun for Paul
Paul had a bit of fun play Arcadians and here's a shot of his focusing in on the game......

One last thing.... I was trying to run A5000 emulation on a Windows 7 laptop. It seems to have some weird issues such as when bringing up the desktop, I have to do it from the line editor. The first time I type in *DESKTOP, it gives an error at the top of the screen, then I have to scroll down to get a space to type it in again. The desktop then comes up but very bland......until I click the HD. At that point it comes up as it probably should have in the beginning.
Doesn't go to desktop properly
Doesn't go to desktop properly
Not enough memory?
Not enough memory?
Have to arrow down here and retype *DESKTOP
Have to arrow down here and retype *DESKTOP
This is 'ok' but not really complete
This is 'ok' but not really complete
This is how I believe it should start up from the beginning
This is how I believe it should start up from the beginning
The other thing that's annoying is it doesn't show the pictures in the documents for A5000 guide, etc. The text is there but not the pictures. I'm not sure why, anybody have some ideas?

I will post this in this thread further down as I can only post 10 pics in one comment space.
Sad to go but what a fun day!!!
Sad to go but what a fun day!!!
Well, it was time to leave and sadly, another ABUG meeting, though on foreign soil, has come to and end. This meeting was really satisfying for both Paul and myself.

So we did different things on many different machines.
- we played music on a Music 500 with M5000 software on a BBC Model B Micro
- we worked on 2 Masters
- we worked on a Master Compact
- we worked on Goteks
- we reviewed the RISC O/S problem on an A5000 emulation system on a Windows 7 laptop

It was a pretty complete ABUG Canada West day.

I'll let Paul tell his stories in this thread, it's interesting that everything today was golden.

.....except some of these pics. I don't know how to correct the sideways ones so I hope nobody gets a crick in their necks....Fixed with a little extra labour......

Great day today Paul!!!!! Thanks.
Last edited by KarateEd on Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:09 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
richardtoohey

Re: ABUG Canada West - January 26 2019 Meetup #7

Post by richardtoohey »

I'm being dense ... what is a Gotek screen?

It's not like a monitor/TV? Do you mean the little LCD display on the Gotek devices?

Not looked at Gotek stuff hence my ignorance.
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Hi Richard, Yes - it's the little LCD screen on the Gotek. The Gotek works really well with the Beeb, I love mine! :D
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Today was brilliant, thanks Ed! As I arrived I was greeted with music playing on Ed's Music 5000. How do I top that at the next meeting?!!
IMG_2344.JPG
Music from The Beano Concertino - this was Dennis the Menace!

I brought along my dead BBC Master (continuous beep syndrome) to test the keyboard on Ed's Master. This worked well as Ed had to replace a keyswitch on his Master so he had to remove his keyboard. We got the continuous beep on mine, so put my keyboard into Ed's. Boot up was just fine, then we tested the keys. The S key was a bit sticky, but worked after a good pounding! What was strange was that the numeric keyboard was non responsive, so Ed suggested maybe a broken keyboard track. Then we switched the keyboardback into my system and got a good boot after a brief delay! My dead Master no longer had the continuous beep, it was alive!! =D> And the numeric keyboard worked! :D :D Ed then entered the CMOS settings, we connected the battery and after a few test start ups all seems well. So happy I decided to bring my Master!!
IMG_2352.JPG
Ed works his magic and my Master lives again!

My other project for today was testing out my Compact with an internal Gotek and a prototype breakout box with the Gotek display and rotary encoder. I still haven't finally decided on placement of the board inside, so I tried affixing it to the underside of the top case. This didn't work that well, so I think I'll put it roughly where Tricky put his, but I'll need to enlarge the Compact hole where the USB will be inserted. The break out box seemed to work well, but will need anchoring, probably with double sided foam tape.
IMG_2361.JPG
Compact with Gotek breakout box
IMG_2365.JPG
Gotek breakout box
IMG_2371.jpg
Power lines for Gotek on the Compact Motherboard (soldered, then anchored with hot glue)
IMG_2362.JPG
BBC Compact - "Look, I'm Italian!! :lol:

So what a great day, and so happy that my Master is working - Ed is my lucky charm to get my broken kit working!! We have lots of projects on the go, and I'm looking forward to setting up my Retroclinic Co-Pro board with my Raspberry Pi Zero. Ed is going to invaluable help here, too! :D
IMG_2369.JPG
A happy ABUG Canada West Team with resurrected Master in the background!
Last edited by klintworth on Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Sounds like a great meetup - thanks for writing it up!

Is that big-M title screen for the Master from some well-known piece of software? Maybe a demo? I'd be interested to have that.
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

BigEd wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:54 am Sounds like a great meetup - thanks for writing it up!

Is that big-M title screen for the Master from some well-known piece of software? Maybe a demo? I'd be interested to have that.
That's the Welcome program for the Master Compact, the Italian version.......

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Thanks!
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

Here are the last two pictures describing the way the document fails to load correctly.

Because of the errors you have to repeatedly press space or the mouse button to fully load the document. Also the partial rectangle you see is the 'blank' or non-loading picture for this document. The whole document is like that. There seems to be no path to the document's picture, perhaps that's the problem?
This loads incorrectly a couple of ways
This loads incorrectly a couple of ways
This is really the same issue.  A reload isn't any better.  Usually a reload of something will take resident information and quickly refresh, not this time.
This is really the same issue. A reload isn't any better. Usually a reload of something will take resident information and quickly refresh, not this time.
Notice that the load bar bottom right only advances on a space bar or mouse button click.

tricky

Post by tricky »

I had to "trim" my GOTEK a little including the end pair of pins from the 34way to make it fit, but I didn't want to touch the beeb in case I changed my mind.
Have you tied my GOTEK menu, if you do, I would suggest a second USB stick as the FF file sets indexed mode where the files have to have a specific name.
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Hi Tricky, yes - definitely planning to try out your Gotek menu when I have some time! It's on my project list for sure :D
Unfortunately my BBC Compact case is pretty banged up so I don't mind any extra holes in it!
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Update #1
Forgot to say Thank You to Ed for giving me 5 mini LCD screens. Now we need to figure out how to use them. Thanks, Ed for giving me more project work, ha ha!! :D
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Update #2
Still not getting a consistent boot up with the Master. After power off for a while it's hard to get restarted without the continuous beep. There are also DFS and ADFS errors, so not sure what's going on with it.
Disk errors.JPG
tricky

Post by tricky »

Do you have an MMC you could try for a while?
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

I have a Retroclinic MicroSPI so I can try that this evening
KarateEd

Post by KarateEd »

klintworth wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:04 pm I have a Retroclinic MicroSPI so I can try that this evening
Good call.....

Return to “past physical ABug events (Canada)”