ABUG SOUTH 18 to 20 January 2019 (Hampshire) BOOKING THREAD

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
kieranhj

Re: ABUG SOUTH 18 to 20 January 2019 (Hampshire) BOOKING THREAD

Post by kieranhj »

Thanks Phill! The Apple IIe chips are all socketed so definitely worth me reseating them all for sure. I’ll also have a go at removing the power supply ahead of time in case any rivets need drilling...
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Any takers in either a copy of John Waldron Intro to Risc, promised to Mark and a DVD XFiles series 1-9 + movie (offtopic but I bet there are fellow scifi geeks on here! :wink: ), can bring to ABUG.

IMG_4251.JPG
No body want an xfiles freebie?
Last edited by sbadger on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
So many projects, so little time...
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

I’d be interested in John Waldron Intro to Risc.

So yes, please do bring it along.

Mark
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

1024MAK wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:16 pm I’d be interested in John Waldron Intro to Risc.

So yes, please do bring it along.

Mark
Will do. It’s yours

Stew
So many projects, so little time...
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

Does anyone want me to bring anything specific?

I'll pop a selection of my upgrades in the car just in case. I have another twin cumana floppy drive too I need to sell on, it is in great condition cosmetically. I also have a bunch of rather tidy Bs too so if anyone wants a smart B then 8)

Is the econet module for an A3000 the same as a Master? If so I might bring my A3000 just to test the econet module I bought around Christmas time.

Chris
IanS

Post by IanS »

cmorley wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:34 pm Is the econet module for an A3000 the same as a Master? If so I might bring my A3000 just to test the econet module I bought around Christmas time.
Yes, they are compatible. (Only the A3020 and A4000 need the physically smaller version if you want to fit a mini-podule at the same time)
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Will there be anybody at the meeting who knows about MediaWiki wiki admin? At some point in the past the image upload to BeebWiki stopped working and I've been trying to get it working again and failed. I can have all the admin and backup files with me on my laptop.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I don't know about that, but it's the sort of thing I might be able to help with, if no-one better turns up.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

jgharston wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:26 pm Will there be anybody at the meeting who knows about MediaWiki wiki admin? At some point in the past the image upload to BeebWiki stopped working and I've been trying to get it working again and failed. I can have all the admin and backup files with me on my laptop.
Are you planning on coming?
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Does anyone have the official Acorn blanking plug for the ashtray (it came with the original speech upgrade kit)? If so, I would be grateful if you could bring it along so that I can take some accurate measurements from it.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Dave H is giving me a lift, so I'll be here for the same times as him.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

jgharston wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:37 pm Dave H is giving me a lift, so I'll be here for the same times as him.
Excellent news! See you on Friday.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

As per email with fuller explanation, I need to drop out this time around. Had a few job issues, will all be sorted soon, but not in time for this weekend.
Hinotori

Post by Hinotori »

Hi,

I am interested in attending (if it's not too late and I can arrange things with work).
If I am only able to come for one day which one would be recommended?

Also, I have an unhappy BBC B (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16195)
and a Valiant Turtle without a communicator. Would it be too cheeky to bring these in the hope someone might be able to assist troubeshooting the Beeb or using their own communicator to check how/if the turtle has lived through its hibernation successfully?

Many thanks :)
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Hinotori wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:40 pmIf I am only able to come for one day which one would be recommended?
If you can only make it for one day, the Saturday is the best day.
Hinotori wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:40 pmAlso, I have an unhappy BBC B (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16195)
and a Valiant Turtle without a communicator. Would it be too cheeky to bring these in the hope someone might be able to assist troubeshooting the Beeb or using their own communicator to check how/if the turtle has lived through its hibernation successfully?
Yeah, bring them along. We can’t promise anything, but we are a helpful bunch, so will help where we can.

Mark
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Hinotori wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:40 pm Hi,

I am interested in attending (if it's not too late and I can arrange things with work).
If I am only able to come for one day which one would be recommended?

Also, I have an unhappy BBC B (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16195)

Many thanks :)
Yes, Saturday is the best day in terms of meeting the most people, seeing the most projects and, potentially, finding someone to fix poorly kit.

You do still need to pay the same entry fee (£15) as everyone else though. You can pay using this link. Alternatively, let me know if you would like to pay by PayPal and I will send you the details.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I am pretty sure that everyone who wants a room at the hotel has booked one. However, just in case you haven't, be aware that there are now only three rooms left.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I am having a bit of a clear out and I have a few things I am planning to sell. If anyone is interested in any of the items, let me know and I will bring them along so that you can have a look at them.
  • Rigol DS1054Z four channel, 1GSa/s oscilloscope with all four probes and hacked to unlock all the options and 100 MHz bandwidth.
  • Weller PU 81 temperature controlled soldering station with WSP 80 iron and a selection of tips.
  • Rapid 85-1706 three channel benchtop DC power supply (5V fixed at 500 mA, 12v fixed at 500 mA, 0 to 30v variable at 10A with adjustable current limit).
  • Hakko FX951 digital soldering station with FM2028 soldering iron. (Almost brand new. Purchased on 21.11.2018 and is hardly used.) As is standard with Hakko irons, this is supplied without tips which are a separate item. Additionally, however, it is also missing the iron holder.
  • Andonstar ADSM302 digital inspection microscope. (Almost brand new. Purchased on 26.9.2018 and is hardly used.)
  • Pack of gummy bears.
Last edited by JudgeBeeb on Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
helpful

Post by helpful »

Hi,

Can anyone give me a lift from Fleet station to the hotel on Friday afternoon? (There is a taxi rank there if not, so no panic!)

Thanks,
Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

helpful wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:41 am Hi,

Can anyone give me a lift from Fleet station to the hotel on Friday afternoon? (There is a taxi rank there if not, so no panic!)

Thanks,
Bryan.
I've sent you a PM.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Good news (or perhaps bad depending on your point of view). My Monday trial in Norwich has been cancelled which means I will be there to the bitter end on Sunday night.
IanS

Post by IanS »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:28 pm Good news (or perhaps bad depending on your point of view). My Monday trial in Norwich has been cancelled which means I will be there to the bitter end on Sunday night.
That's good news, would have been a shame for you to miss out on some of the event you organised.

I did look, but couldn't see it listed, do we know what time the room is available on Friday?

(I'm interested in the weller iron and the microscope thing if you could bring them along. And the gummy bears :-) )
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

UPDATE

I have had an update from the venue. We will have access to the room from 8am tomorrow! :D (Although, I probably won't be arriving until about lunchtime.)

Those staying at the hotel, however, won't be able to check in to their rooms until 2pm.

Finally, if there is anyone considering staying at the hotel but has still not booked yet, be aware that there is now only one room left.

See you tomorrow.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Thanks for sorting it all out! See you later.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I am also selling a Scotle 858D+ Hot Air Station.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Right (hopefully) everything is packed up and waiting to be loaded into car tomorrow.

Hoping to leave Coventry at around mid-day so hopefully be there between 2-3pm depending on traffic etc.

Cheers.

Phill.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I've got an old-fashioned analogue dual-trace 'scope if anyone is interested. It's a Philips PM 3210, two channels and 14ns rise time according to the front panel. Pretty chunky. Free to a good home.
Attachments
Philips-PM3210-IMG_0829.JPG
tricky

Post by tricky »

I am interested for a friend who helps with my Beeb's occasionally.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi,
I'll be setting off after work today. I hope to be there about 7pm. If there's any interest in a group dinner tonight and you don't mind waiting til 7pm ..that'd be cool (and I guess no matter if not !)

Very excited and cool to see so many people attending the weekend! Thanks for arranging this Robert!

See you all soon.
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

Does anyone want me to bring the RGB > SCART > HDMI capture kit? I wasn't planning on bringing a HDMI monitor this time but if someone would like to make some 50Hz 720p Beeb captures (or even Archie maybe?) then I'm happy to chuck it on the ever growing pile for the car.

(I'm hoping these tables are large 'cos I've got way too much stuff with me already..!)
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”