ABUG SOUTH 18 to 20 January 2019 (Hampshire) BOOKING THREAD

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
MattH

Re: ABUG SOUTH 18 to 20 January 2019 (Hampshire) BOOKING THREAD

Post by MattH »

Please sign me up, arriving Friday afternoon, and leaving Sunday, probably in the evening. I'd like to bring a small amount of kit (just a laptop).

Thanks
Matt H.
sydney

Post by sydney »

JudgeBeeb wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:47 pm I've put you down as tentative. I doubt there will be a problem accommodating you and it would be really good to see you there.
Thanks Judge. If I come I'll be arriving late Friday afternoon and leaving Sunday midday. I'll probably only have a laptop and an extra screen.
helpful

Post by helpful »

I'll be there, Friday to Sunday. Only need half a table - Pi plus laptop.

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
flibble

Post by flibble »

flibble wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:43 pm Me please, Saturday to Sunday (maybe Friday)
My apologies I forgot to add 'with kit'. master, screen laptop, etc.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

flibble wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:38 pm My apologies I forgot to add 'with kit'. master, screen laptop, etc.
Thanks

At this stage, I am not overly concerned with the amount of kit people are bringing.

This might, however, become an issue if we have more than 30 people wishing to attend. So do please continue to give some indication of what people intend to bring.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I'm guessing the default is a half-table, and people with serious amounts of kit will want a full table?
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

BigEd wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:59 pm I'm guessing the default is a half-table, and people with serious amounts of kit will want a full table?
The room is very big and last time it was one of the least cramped sessions we have had. The limiting factor is the number of tables they have on-site. If anyone has some tables they could bring along that may be of assistance.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
z0m8ied0g

Post by z0m8ied0g »

I have a couple of the fold up plastic ones I could probably fit in the van.
Acorn... lots of Acorn... http://blog.retroacorn.net
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

z0m8ied0g wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:14 pm I have a couple of the fold up plastic ones I could probably fit in the van.
Thanks. That may well be of assistance if you can bring them. I am planning to liaise with the venue regarding tables closer to the time and I'll let you know.
oss003

Post by oss003 »

You can put my name on the attendee list, arriving friday and leaving sunday.
I'll be bringing my laptop.

Going to book the hotel and flight next ...

Greetings
Kees
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

My neighbour ( :shock: ) has persuaded me that I need to attend this meeting - she says I don't have enough time left in life to waste :lol:

So if you could book me in, please. Hotel already booked. I'll be there Friday afternoon and I'll be leaving on the Sunday afternoon.

Dave H :D

Edit: I'm looking after one of Dave Moore's fold-up tables - so I can bring my own table :D
Last edited by daveejhitchins on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

oss003 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:16 am You can put my name on the attendee list, arriving friday and leaving sunday.
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
daveejhitchins wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:10 am My neighbour ( :shock: ) has persuaded me that I need to attend this meeting - she says I don't have enough time left in life to waste :lol:
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
oss003

Post by oss003 »

oss003 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:16 am You can put my name on the attendee list, arriving friday and leaving sunday.
I'll be bringing my laptop.

Going to book the hotel and flight next ...
Ok, flight and room booked, see you guys in Hampshire ...... :)

Greetings
Kees
thearttrooper

Post by thearttrooper »

Please put me down for Saturday. Not sure about kit yet. Thanks.
VMSZealot

Post by VMSZealot »

What time does this start on the 18th? I can’t do the Saturday and Sunday - but I could do the Friday. And will anyone be attending who might be able to help me diagnose a poorly beeb?
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

VMSZealot wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:56 pm What time does this start on the 18th? I can’t do the Saturday and Sunday - but I could do the Friday. And will anyone be attending who might be able to help me diagnose a poorly beeb?
We start whenever we can get access to the room/people start to show up. This is usually about 3pm/4pm.

Sometimes we are allowed in earlier (and I will be on hand as soon as the room is made available). However, few people will be there before about 5pm/6pm regardless of when the room is available.

We continue until the bar closes and the room is locked up (usually about midnight) on Friday.

I am happy to take a look at your Beeb. However, I am probably your worst bet for fault finding. There are a number of proper hardware gurus attending. Whether they will be around/have time on the Friday I cannot say. Saturday is a much better day for repairs.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Looking at the list of attendees, it is likely that at least a couple of the hardware geeks will be there Friday evening. So if you can come along and stay for the evening, I’m sure one of us could take a look at your poorly Beeb.

Have you already posted any details of the symptoms in the 8 bit hardware section? If not, it may be worthwhile doing so, as then advise can be offered on the initial fault finding steps.

Mark
tricky

Post by tricky »

Room booked, don't tell my daughter, I'm sure it will be a "nice" surprise :roll:
Thanks for the code , £170 is their "best price" without it and they can't take the code over the phone!
Is it time for payment details?
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

tricky wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:06 pmIs it time for payment details?
In the new year.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

It's that time when payment is now due. Just £15 covers the room hire for the weekend and as much tea, coffee, fizzy pop and unhealthy snacks as you can consume.

This time, I am trying a slightly different form of payment system. Please click here to pay. If you use a UK debit card to pay, you will not incur any fees. Once paid, please send me a PM with the email address you used in the payment engine so that I know who has paid.

If anyone has any problems or issues with this system or just feels more comfortable with PayPal, please send me a PM and I will give you my PayPal details.
Last edited by JudgeBeeb on Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Monzo doesn't send me your email address. So when you send me a PM to confirm payment, there is no need to include your email address.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Sorry, Robert, Monzo doesn't like either of my cards so could I trouble you for your PayPal address, please.

Thanks - Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Two important updates.

First, the hotel has confirmed that they have 'about' 22 tables which are 6ft by 2.5ft and 7 round tables which are 6ft in diameter. That means we would, in theory, have enough tables to allocate one per attendee. However, I recall from last time that the round tables were rather inconvenient. They were not ideal for what we do and did tend to get in the way a bit.

Although not everyone is going to be there at the same time and some people are 'no-kitters', I do think it may be useful to have some more rectangular tables. If anyone can bring some along that would be much appreciated.

Secondly, I have a trial in the diary listed to start first thing on the Monday morning in Norwich. I thought it was going to settle; but that does not seem to be the case now. I will have to drive up to Norwich on Sunday and I will need a good few hours on Sunday to prepare. Realistically, that means I am going to have to leave relatively early on the Sunday. I would, therefore, be really grateful if someone could volunteer to stay until the end on the Sunday and make sure everything is in good order and the hotel is happy when we leave. (I will still deal with payment before I leave).
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

There remain a few people who have not paid yet. If you haven't paid, please can you do so as soon as possible (either by the Monzo link or by PMing me for my PayPal details). if there is any difficulty in paying or some other issue please can you contact me by PM as soon as possible so that I have a handle on what is going on.

Thanks
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Sorry Robert I also need to leave lunchtime-ish on the Sunday.

Will anyone be bringing an EPROM eraser and programmer by chance?
So many projects, so little time...
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

sbadger wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:07 am Sorry Robert I also need to leave lunchtime-ish on the Sunday.

Will anyone be bringing an EPROM eraser and programmer by chance?
No worries. Someone has kindly volunteered to stay until the end. Plus, there is now a possibility that my Monday morning commitment might not be going ahead.

I will definitely be bringing an EPROM programmer. Whether I bring an eraser will depend on whether or not I remember and, more significantly, if I can remember where it is.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Will also bring my Wellon programmer, will try to (remember to) pack my Stag eraser (can do about 7 at a time).

Anything else anyone wants me to bring?

Cheers.

Phill.
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

Hi all, as we're getting closer to the event I thought I'd send out a note for what I'm offering & requests for help!

Offering: (Mostly) Electron Cassettes
Electron cassettes
Electron cassettes
BBC cassettes
BBC cassettes
I have zero nostalgic interest in cassette tapes so I am happy for folks to take their pick from the box full that came with the Electron I acquired. There might well be a couple of books as well - I need to a have a quick sort out before I turn up. (Keeping Elite though, sorry!)

Help Wanted: A3020 RAM Control Line

I have little time, and less skill, with repairing faulty hardware so my new year's resolution is to fix or get rid of my non-working machines as a priority. To that end I still have my A3020 with a RAM Control Line failure which I'm going to have one last attempt at reviving - any help or assistance gratefully accepted! (I also cracked and just bought a working A3020 so may spend some time setting that up, maybe Gotek etc., if the original seems like a lost cause.)

Help Wanted: Apple IIe

My Apple IIe currently does this:
Poorly Apple IIe
Poorly Apple IIe
It probably needs recapping as well. If there's anyone Apple inclined that would be happy to help me diagnose that would also be much appreciated.

Thanks all - let me know if there's anything I can bring along / contribute with.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
Prime

Post by Prime »

The PSU probably does need recapping, they often have Rifas in like beeb PSUs, I seem to remember doing one for someone last time I was at camberly. I'll bring my box of RIFAs.....

Can't remember if the IIe has it's chips socketed, but if so might be worth re-seating them. Though I suspect from the look of the fault that it might be a RAM fault.

Cheers.

Phill.

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”