ABUG SOUTH 18 to 20 January 2019 (Hampshire) BOOKING THREAD

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
hoglet

Re: ABUG SOUTH 18 to 20 January 2019 (Hampshire) BOOKING THREAD

Post by hoglet »

I'd also like to than everyone for a great weekend. Especially Robert for making this happen, and for ensuring everything ran smoothly.

I particularly enjoyed working with sbadger (Stew) to fix his broken Model B (I think in the end there were five faulty chips). It was a great test of the diagnostic tools I've been developing (6502Decoder and ICE-T65).

I'm also looking forward to setting up my first Econet, thanks to loaned parts from IanS and BeebMaster, so we can try to get to the bottom of the PiTubeDirect issue that is corrupting files loaded from the Acorn Level 3 File Server. I'll probably start a new thread for this.

Dave
flibble

Post by flibble »

To echo many of the comments here, many thanks to Robert for organising another great event. I'm looking forward to the next one. I'm sorry if I didn't get a chance to say 'hi' to everyone, not being rude, just busy!

Things that I just about remember.
  • Chatting with Robin about all things RPG.
  • Chatting with BigEd about early ARM development.
  • Chatting with Ian about how HostFS works.
  • Chris Morley, beebmaster and Simon Inns (who wasn't ever there, but over IRC!) helped diagnose and fix my beebscsi mini, that needed the firmware reflashing.
  • Eating far, far too much at the pub's nice restaurant.
  • Being very bad at Microball.
  • Successfully installed the ARM evaluation system's software on the beebscsi HD and pitube direct.
  • Cursing Acorn and the Master character designer and worshiping at the church of Jonathan Harston with his defchar app, which enabled me to quickly knock together a custom font for my game
newfont.png
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Many thanks to many people for a superb weekend, for the advice, education and company; and especially to our Learned Friend for organising the event at probably the best venue we've ever used, and to IanS for the lifts to and fro, and for not smacking me on the side of the head for reading out every personalised number plate on the way home. For four hours.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

BeebMaster wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:23 pm Many thanks to many people for a superb weekend, for the advice, education and company; and especially to our Learned Friend for organising the event at probably the best venue we've ever used, and to IanS for the lifts to and fro, and for not smacking me on the side of the head for reading out every personalised number plate on the way home. For four hours.
Yellow car!

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

I also mirror everyone's thanks to all who were there for such a great weekend.

Managed to fit one of Phill's (Prime) MRB to Mark's (markryan) Electron.

Looked at some MGC games that weren't working for one user - still looking into this issue - More later . . .

Started, once more, to reverse engineer the ARCIN V6C (yes, I know it's, taking too long - just not allocating enough time!)

I MUST start bringing my wife along to these meetings . . . I returned home to find the flooring in our second bedroom almost gone :shock: It was quite 'creaky' due to a piece of Plumbing work before we moved-in (why can't [most] plumbers learn to do this job correctly?). So my lovely wife decided it needed replacing (bless!) - Now I'm left with replacing ALL the flooring :cry: Oh well! At least any future visitors will be able to move around without the whole household knowing about it :lol:

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Tongue and groove?
Kazzie

Post by Kazzie »

Depending on the groove in the house, there may have been a lot of tongue going about when he got home. :wink:
BBC Model B 32K issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM, ZIDEFS with 512MB CF card
RiscPC 600 under repair
Acorn System 1 home-made replica
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

1024MAK wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:15 pm Tongue and groove?
Well now . . . Tongue - Definitely Mrs H's department :oops: and I've been catching up with Sounds of the 60s while doing the floorboards - so that's the Groove bit, I suppose :lol:

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

I too would like to say a huge thanks to Robert for organising everything, and to Ian especially for helping me setup my A3000 and generously swapping my 8-bit internal IDE podule for a 16-bit external one, so I can continue to use the internal MIDI/user port podule and for helping me load up the DOM with software. \:D/

Also thanks to Jason for the use of his DataCentre so I could archive some floppy disks, and to Dave for helping get my PiTubeDirect running.

And to everyone I had the opportunity to talk to, such a friendly community, and so many interesting projects happening.
Atom / BBC B with Music 5000/4000/2000 / Electron / A3000 / Master 128
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

As groovy as the above comments are :shock: ...

Any tongue and groove floorboards that get err, modified (the tongue cut or smashed off and cut into shorter lengths) as a result of services under the floor being installed or worked on, always appear to creak or squeak afterwards, no matter how many nails you use to refit them...

Some DIY sites talk about applying talcum power to solve the problem, but I have never tried this...!

Mark
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

The floor in my attic was so ratty after so many repairs and patches and lifted and replaced boards, that while waiting for a new carpet I clad the entire thing with 3mm plywood. (Well, a neighbour did it for me, I don't think my knees would have survived).

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
thearttrooper

Post by thearttrooper »

I had a terrible start to the year and have only just been released from hospital. Unfortunately this means I missed the show. Since I'd asked for a table I believe I owe someone some money. Could that person reach me directly: *email deleted* telling me how much and providing a bank account plus sort code for me to transfer to.

Hope it was a great show.

Many thanks.

Chris.
Last edited by danielj on Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

thearttrooper wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:32 am I had a terrible start to the year and have only just been released from hospital. Unfortunately this means I missed the show. Since I'd asked for a table I believe I owe someone some money. Could that person reach me directly: *email deleted* telling me how much and providing a bank account plus sort code for me to transfer to.

Hope it was a great show.

Many thanks.

Chris.
I am really sorry to hear how tough things have been going. I very much hope things are looking brighter.

You most certainly do not owe any money. We had a huge surplus this year (which will be used to fund the refreshments at the next Cambridge ABUG).

I do hope you will be able to make the next event.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
thearttrooper

Post by thearttrooper »

Thank you for your best wishes and generosity. I'm glad the event was wildly successful and I certainly hope to make it to a future event once I've recovered.

Best wishes.

Chris.
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

flibble wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:03 pm
[*]Cursing Acorn and the Master character designer and worshiping at the church of Jonathan Harston with his defchar app, which enabled me to quickly knock together a custom font for my game
[/list]
newfont.png
I saw this running at the weekend but didn't know who to ask about it. It looks really good. Looking forward to having a go in time!
So many projects, so little time...

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”