ABUG Canada West - November 3 2018 Meetup #5

threads for previous physical ABug events held in Canada
KarateEd

ABUG Canada West - November 3 2018 Meetup #5

Post by KarateEd »

Hi Folks,

Paul and I met up for our 5th ABUG Canada West meeting today and though we didn't accomplish a lot hardware wise, we did discover some things and generally had a lot of fun.

As usual, we oohed and aweed at our hardware, hardly believing this stuff is 36 years young, amazing really.

I just want to thank Paul for a test disk for the A3010 which has discovered an error that I'm not sure what to do about, also for a cover disk. It seems every time we meet up, Paul has some sort of gift for me, thank Paul!!!!

So what did we do? Well, I'll put up a few pics and some sound bytes to show a bit of stuff but Paul has most of the pictures on his phone.....I'll do what I can.
Paul seemed to like the music system, marveled at it actually, Marcus, not so much!!
Paul seemed to like the music system, marveled at it actually, Marcus, not so much!!
What you can't see in this picture is the sound output device. It's an old Sony CD player with a line input jack put to good use, sounds great!!
Just having some fun!!!!
Just having some fun!!!!
Looking good, I think.....
Looking good, I think.....
Of the 3 errors shown, only the CMOS error was a valid error.  The diskette was write protected, the hardware check had to do with something not being attached if I remember correctly
Of the 3 errors shown, only the CMOS error was a valid error. The diskette was write protected, the hardware check had to do with something not being attached if I remember correctly
Not my fault and I'm sticking to that!!!
Not my fault and I'm sticking to that!!!
This fault was the real CMOS error with addresses.  Anybody know what this means?
This fault was the real CMOS error with addresses. Anybody know what this means?
Paul wanted to take a picture to show how clean Mark's PCs were.....and they are.
Paul wanted to take a picture to show how clean Mark's PCs were.....and they are.
Damn big bird anyway.....
Damn big bird anyway.....
This is Paul and I after having a great time with Chucky, A3010, M5000 Music system, trying to fix Goteks....all the good stuff.
This is Paul and I after having a great time with Chucky, A3010, M5000 Music system, trying to fix Goteks....all the good stuff.
I have some sound bytes to put at the end of these pictures of the sound of the Music 500(0) but have to upload them first. I'll put links in this post to them once that's done.

A quick commentary after taking a video unwittingly - thought it was on snapshot, not video recording.

https://youtu.be/knfR21D_2mg

Just a sentimental situation.....

https://youtu.be/NiNddhQGaKE

What wah wah sound when you actually try to play music.....

https://youtu.be/f7uowr-ek_0
Last edited by KarateEd on Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ed...... :-)

3 working Beebs, 1 RetroClinic Master, 1 normal Master, 1 A3010, 1 Pi2 RISC OS, 2 broken Beeb Motherboards, 1 Omnibus A7000+ server, 1 A7000+ Desktop, 1 PET, 1 C64, 1 C128, 1 Amiga 500 and 1 Roamer.
flaxcottage

Re: ABUG Canada West - November 3 2018 Meetup #5

Post by flaxcottage »

Looks like you had fun, guys. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
CMcDougall

Post by CMcDougall »

Great pic's,
But, don't see any cups of tea :o
ImageImageImage
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

Ha ha, just lots of coffee! :shock: :lol:
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
klintworth

Post by klintworth »

As Ed has said, it was great just to share thoughts and marvel at the Acorn goodness! I was planning to wire up the Gotek rotary switch, make an .ssd of Christmas Tales, take out the cables in the disc drive, and solder a connection on a Codebug (not Acorn related!). I loved seeing Ed's music set up, and it was a real treat to see the Music 4000 working so well with a Music 5000. Mark's RetroClinic Master is a work of art - I'll use this as reference when restoring a Master I've just picked up on Fleabay. So here's the photo record:
IMG_1690.JPG
I discovered the drive cable can take 2 drives, so maybe I can use both Gotek and floppy
IMG_1699.jpg
My Gotek in a 3D printed box - now need to fit the rotary switch
IMG_1700.jpg
Ed had a spare Hybrid Music article - interesting, even for the non-musical like me!
IMG_1702.JPG
Ed on Birds of War using a Voltmace legacy joystick- always wanted to see BoW
IMG_1705.JPG
The Chuckee Egg Expert!

Looking forward to December's Meet Up! :D
Last edited by klintworth on Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBC B Issue 4 & 7, BBC B (USA), BBC Master, Electron, BBC Master Compact, Olivetti PC128S, Castle A7000+, A3020, Valiant Turtle, Trekker Robot
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Looks awesome.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?

Return to “past physical ABug events (Canada)”