Dungeon Adventure

having trouble with an archived file? post in here!
davidb

Dungeon Adventure

Post by davidb »

The version of Dungeon Adventure on the Stairway To Hell site seems to have an inventory bug that isn't present in the disk version at bbcmicro.co.uk. The cassette version does have the same bug.

I haven't investigated this issue in any detail. I was hoping that someone might remember it and know what might have caused it. Any recollections?
lurkio

Re: Dungeon Adventure

Post by lurkio »

davidb wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:55 pm The version of Dungeon Adventure on the Stairway To Hell site seems to have an inventory bug that isn't present in the disk version at bbcmicro.co.uk. The cassette version does have the same bug. I haven't investigated this issue in any detail. I was hoping that someone might remember it and know what might have caused it. Any recollections?
I do vaguely remember noting this while I was in the middle of a misguided and thankless attempt to "enhance" a load of classic Beeb text adventures, including the Level 9 ones, so at the time all I could do was shrug and move on to the next item on the accursed list.

Unfortunately, I still can't be of much help when it comes to providing any actually useful info or anything, so I'll just have to be content with attaching this screenshot of the bug in question -- if you type INVENTORY when you're carrying nothing, you're told you have "othing" [sic]:

Screenshot of the INVENTORY bug in Dungeon Adventure for the Beeb
Screenshot of the INVENTORY bug in Dungeon Adventure for the Beeb

The bug seems to be unique to the Beeb version of the game -- it's not in the Speccy version from World Of Spectrum at least.

:idea:
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

Tangentially related, but the disc version says "from Level 9 Computing" whereas the tape version just says "from Level 9", so could point to a different version of the game code / interpreter rather than just a format change... :roll:
davidb

Post by davidb »

I just assumed that Mick (Michael Brown) fixed the disk version, but maybe the original worked just fine! Sorry not to have been explicit about the nature of the bug ("othing" instead of "Nothing"). I did prepare a screenshot to demonstrate it - honest! :)

Anyway, I'll put this on the back burner for a while. The game engine is similar to Red Moon in some ways, but not identical, so I think I will try to put the adventures into categories/versions before spending too much time porting them to the Electron.
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

The disk versions might've originated from the uploads (of some kind soul) from
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=12113&p=153592 :lol:

I figured that was the bug, that's why i said the Level 9 / Level 9 Computing was just an additional observation.

Coincidentally, saving the memory from &E00 to &7C00 from both the disk and tape versions, then loading them up in the Windows Level 9 interpreter from
http://www.davidkinder.co.uk/level9.html
works fine, so the game data must be good, just the interpreter on the tape version is broken in some way, as per your original statement :wink:
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

The version I have on my disc is from the original tape and it also has the bug.

Mick.
davidb

Post by davidb »

lurkio wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:44 pmI do vaguely remember noting this while I was in the middle of a misguided and thankless attempt to "enhance" a load of classic Beeb text adventures, including the Level 9 ones, so at the time all I could do was shrug and move on to the next item on the accursed list.
Sorry to hear that you thought it was thankless. I missed much of that thread and very much appreciate the work that went into "remastering" those games. Your analysis of Seventh Star in particular will be useful if I get back to looking at the Acornsoft adventures. Just the fact that it's there makes the idea of porting it to the Electron a lot more approachable. :)
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

davidb wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:16 pm
lurkio wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:44 pmI do vaguely remember noting this while I was in the middle of a misguided and thankless attempt to "enhance" a load of classic Beeb text adventures, including the Level 9 ones, so at the time all I could do was shrug and move on to the next item on the accursed list.
Sorry to hear that you thought it was thankless. I missed much of that thread and very much appreciate the work that went into "remastering" those games. Your analysis of Seventh Star in particular will be useful if I get back to looking at the Acornsoft adventures. Just the fact that it's there makes the idea of porting it to the Electron a lot more approachable. :)
Good to know. Thanks!

(And I was literally thanked in that very "Enhanced adventures" thread itself, so it was churlish of me to use the word "thankless"! Apologies.)

:idea:

Return to “archive issues”