Does BeebEm cause almost unnoticeable Exile problems?

if a game from either archive (bbc or electron) isn't working properly, please document it here
Stormcloud

Does BeebEm cause almost unnoticeable Exile problems?

Post by Stormcloud »

I'm playing Exile. I've got to a point where I need to shoot the big block up a vertical tunnel. I recall having no problems doing this on a real BBC, but when I try it using BeebEm it simply won't go up into the tunnel, no matter what I try. I've tried the Icer and the Pistol, thrusting against the block in various different orientations, etc.<br>
<br>
I noticed someone called Pointless999 saying that he couldn't complete Exile because BeebEm didn't accept more than 2 key inputs at once. I don't think that that's a problem on my PC, but I do wonder: Is it possible but there are some subtle timing differences between BeebEm and a "real" Beeb that could make my "shoot the block up" problem insurmountable?<br>
<br>
Sometimes I wish I had a week to spare and a real BBC (or an Amiga 1200, come to that) so that I could finish Exile once and for all and get it out of my bloodstream forever. :-)<br>
<br>
Stormcloud<br>

<p></p><i></i>
pointless999

That part is possible... just bloody annoying...

Post by pointless999 »

Hey there Stormcloud,<br>
<br>
If you're talking about the same bit I think you're talking about, I had a real bit of trouble with it too. It IS possible, you have to do it with the icer, and there are 2 possible ways to shoot it upwards (once you've gotten underneath, of course)<br>
<br>
1) Simple harmonic motion - Just as it slows down, shoot it again<br>
2) Blast it. Again. Again. And fire as fast as you can, straight up.<br>
<br>
Getting underneath it (if this is the same point I think you're at, where the block is in the water, and you have to get underneath. You have to do the above instructions in reverse, shooting it underwater far enough such that there is a gap for you to move round, boost up under it, firing all the way)<br>
<br>
*sigh* Perhaps I should see if it can actually be done with only 2 key inputs :-p

<p></p><i></i>
pointless999

D'oh! I know what bit you really mean!

Post by pointless999 »

Sorry, was thinking of a different bit. I think you're talking about the bit where you're in the tunnel, and the block is on solid ground, you have to find a way to somehow get the block up the tunnel... as shown in diagram (ahem, I'm useless at ASCII)<br>
<br>
_____| |_____<br>
_____ _____<br>
|X |<br>
_____| |______<br>
__1___B_______<br>
<br>
The way to do it is this. Push the block to the point marked 1. Remember your position at B. Push the block (from the left) back to B. Then, shoot down at it a few times (with the icer) so that it bounces up. You then have to get into a rhythm, shooting only when the block is at the top of its bounce (shooting downwards only). Then, when it's at least as far above the ground as half the height of the player (but at the top of it's bounce cycle), teleport. You should end up directly underneath the block, and then you should have no problems pushing it all the way up with a few direct icer shots upwards.<br>
<br>
Yay. (if you're following the solution, you'll come to the bit I couldn't do immediately afterwards, with the high wind, and trying to get the coronium rock past the door. - I need to boost, go left and thrust up at the same time)<br>
<br>

<p></p><i></i>
Stormcloud

I'll give it a go.

Post by Stormcloud »

Ah... Shooting _downwards_ and getting it to bounce, that didn't occur to me. I shall try it out this weekend. Thanks for the advice!<br>
<br>
I'll let you know whether I can do the "needs three keys" section as well.<br>
<br>
Stormcloud<br>
<br>

<p></p><i></i>
Stormcloud

No problem with the "rock and wind" bit!

Post by Stormcloud »

Hey pointless999,<br>
<br>
Thanks for your advice, it worked perfectly. Also, just to let you know, I had no problem with the "boost left and throw coronium past the bush" bit. It took me a while to get it (thank heavens for quickload!) but on my PC at least it _is_ possible.<br>

<p></p><i></i>

Return to “problems”