Search for the Lost Orb

discuss classic text/graphic adventures for the bbc micro & electron
fuzzel

Re: Search for the Lost Orb

Post by fuzzel »

Hi, not sure if I have solved that yet, I'm having a break from adventures at the moment but looking forward to the new season once the nights draw in (I'll then pop down to the cellar to retrieve my trusty brass lantern). I'm more than happy to chip in with help where I can provide it though. Looking at CASA the game still needs a solution posting, Canalboy has only uploaded his map so far:
http://www.solutionarchive.com/game/id% ... t+Orb.html
Kevin Edwards

Post by Kevin Edwards »

Now that a few people have played the game for quite while now I was wondering if anyone has noticed any similarities with other adventure titles that may help discover who may be behind it. My personal belief is that it may have been written by Andy Bray, but I cannot confirm this as he passed away several years ago. If it wasn't Andy them possible someone else from the Cambridge area as I found it on a disk that Andy game me along with a few other things.
scarybeasts

Post by scarybeasts »

Kevin Edwards wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:28 pm Now that a few people have played the game for quite while now I was wondering if anyone has noticed any similarities with other adventure titles that may help discover who may be behind it. My personal belief is that it may have been written by Andy Bray, but I cannot confirm this as he passed away several years ago. If it wasn't Andy them possible someone else from the Cambridge area as I found it on a disk that Andy game me along with a few other things.
Could you upload an image of the full original disc you found it on? I often find there are clues in the unused / deleted sectors etc.

Cheers
Chris
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

It sounds like it was Andy Bray if it was on a disc with some of his utilities. Unfortunately, he hasn't, to my knowledge, written any other text adventures which we can compare the text in Lost Orb to. Other potential authors would be the Acornsoft / Topologika guys: Jonathan Partington, Peter Killworth, Rod Underwood, John Thackray and David Seal (there may have been others). Btw, does anyone have any files with the locations and messages text for any of the Acornsoft and Topologika games? Those authors may have had favourite words or phrases we could compare with SFTLO.
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

Canalboy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:56 pm Well I managed to finish this one in the end although with 710 points out of a possible 800 (or about that maximum as the game says). Many thanks to Fuzzel for the (ahem) slight manipulation of the object inventory and lamp and thirst timers. I suspect that without these I would never have finished it as it was a real toughie even so. A good game though and thoroughly recommended notwithstanding the odd bug or two and some atrocious spelling. An excellent twist ending too and some very clever puzzles await the dedicated player.

I have uploaded a trizbort and pdf conversion of the completed map to CASA which is awaiting administrator approval before it appears there.

Canalboy
Hi Canalboy,

Thanks for your help and that of Fuzzel. I've made quite a bit of progress, but I'm now stuck in the quicksand. I'm also at a loss as to how to get the green stone without getting killed by the giant. I have (or can lay hands on) the following items:

Gold and silver rods, Bucket, orange (used), rope, branch, lamp, box of matches, dynamite (used), fuses (used), axe, paper sack, keys, sword, sheep, pebble, mirror, map, golden ball, gold and silver bottles (used), brushwood.

Can you give me a subtle hint?

Regards,

Chry
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I've had a look through my notes and maps to see if I can offer any help. I've found the location with the giant and the green stone but not made any note on how to stop him killing me so I may not have solved that one. Regarding the quicksand / swamp, in my email correspondence with Canalboy I sent him the following message: "Finally managed to get through the swamp. Clue: There's an object not too far back that you need. I missed it first time so got bogged down (!) trying all the objects I'd found so far." Unfortunately I haven't been able to find out what that object was. I asked Canalboy once he'd finished the game if he was going to write a walkthrough but he replied saying he hadn't been writing up a transcript as he went along so I'm not sure he'd be that much help if we asked him. If you could send me a walkthrough of your moves so far to get to the giant & swamp with quicksand I could run through it and see if I can find any objects you've missed using my map.
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

Fuzzel,

Willdo. The system won't let me pm you, shall I just post my progress so far on here?

Regards,

Chrys
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Chrysophylax wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:42 am Fuzzel,

Willdo. The system won't let me pm you, shall I just post my progress so far on here?

Regards,

Chrys
Yes please. You can use the code box </> for your walkthrough if it's one command per line. I can then copy and paste it into Beebem to quickly get to where you are.
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

Fuzzel,

You've done it again. Your tiny hint has just given me the impetus I need to solve the quicksand puzzle. How I will get back to retrieve the mirror and golden ball I do not know, but that is a problem for another day.

In any case, attached is my progress so far. Thanks again for your help, it is very much appreciated!

Regards,

Chrys
Search for the Lost Orb.txt
(2.98 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Well done, you're making great progress! Regarding the giant, I've managed to get that far and thinking about the giant and the "wrong" green shard I couldn't help thinking of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. You need to say a magic word to get rid of him as the text informs you and if you look at the message there's a clue as to what it is. And if you've read Thomas Covenant you'll know exactly what the magic word is.
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

Many thanks Fuzzel,

Yes, Thomas Covenant sprang to my mind too, with the green stone. I thought the magic word might be 'terra pestilencia' (sic) but that seems to get no reaction. I was trying to work out whether the magic word referred to the person doing the summoning, the thing summoned or the method of summoning. Obviously it can't be something specific to Thomas Covenant like Fleshharrower or white gold, and I think it is more likely to be a meaningful English word, rather than a made-up word like 'plugh' or 'zorm'. I'll go away and have another think about that.

I'm at the pinnacle now, of course. At this point it's not obvious what the actual puzzle is - obviously, find the new way forward, but how, precisely? I have, I think, worked out what the cloth is used for, I shall have a play with that.

Can I give you a shout in a few days if I've not moved forward?
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

No problem at all. I never did finish this game so it's been nice to pick up the reins again. However, it's very fiddly, having to cope with the usual limitations of thirst, very restricted inventory (although there is an object which helps but even that is restricted) and a lamp that can run out (although it can be replenished). Incidentally, the Thomas Covenant series ran to six books bitd and there was one book in particular that contained the magic word. I loved that book so much I never forgot the word so I was chuffed it was useful in this game.
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I've now finished the game but with a pitiful score of 680 / 800 so I may have to revisit it at some point. We can also compare notes. At least now I'll be able to help if you get stuck. And you'll be pleased to hear that after you've found a way of getting up the pinnacle there's another fifty or so locations to explore and some very good puzzles (how did the author manage to cram so much into this game? I'm hugely impressed).
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

I read both the first and second Chronicles at university, but that is thirty years ago now, and I can't remember a particular magical word. Can you give me a couple of pointers?
  • Is the word a made-up word or is it a standard English word? If the first I'll have to scan the room description and see where it's hidden in the text, if the second, is it two words run together, like Sunbane?

I am assuming that reading the Chronicles isn't necessary for guessing the word (although useful)?

'Speak the summoning that is here' seems to refer to a summoning, such as a spell, rather than a summoner, or the object or creature summoned? Am I right or is my logic awry?
Chrys
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Its in the text location description
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

I'm sorry fuzzel, I'm totally foxed. Can you put me out of my misery?
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

.....but I have found a companion that I think can be of assistance, if I can persuade them to be helpful.
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

In ROT13 cypher the answer is ABZ
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

Thank you, Fuzzel.

I hadn't tried ABZ, but I had tried ABZNA, and I suspected that the text in the description had no errors of syntax and grammar, just hadn't put 2 + 2 together.

Oh well. Onwards and upwards.

Chrys
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Can’t wait to see your final score. Speaking of onwards and upwards how goes the upwards?
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

I've worked out how to five items through the doorway. Bit of Philosopher's Quest there :wink:

Now I just need to work out how to calm my putative companion.
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

Well, Fledge is being a bit skittish. Obvious things are to offer him some food or use the appropriate tack but neither seem available. Have I got all the right objects at this stage? I came through the door with the axe, matches, golden ball, green stone and mirror, since then I've found the brushwood and the piece of cloth. Are there any new objects I need to find? Do I need to bring something else through (the map, maybe?) Or do I have everything I need, just need to think a bit laterally?
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I presume by Fledge you mean the horse? I think you may also need the map and the rope. Incidentally I think I've spotted a bug and I'm not sure what to do about it.

SPOILER ALERT! DO NOT LOOK AT THE SCREENSHOTS IF YOU INTEND TO PLAY!

I decided to play the game through again to see how the score is compiled and I've got as far as the ledge. However, when Iqevax sebz gur tbyqra obggyr this time I get the message "Lbh srry fgenatryl jnezrq naq n frafr bs arj ivgnyvgl fcernqf vagb lbhe yvzof" whereas last time I got "Lbh srry nf vs lbh pbhyq sybng njnl" The second message happens "nsgre lbh'ir svyyrq gur tbyqra obggyr sbe gur frpbaq gvzr sebz gur cbby va gur fznyy ebbz" (all ROT13). See screenshots below:
First time:
Orbs Ledge2.png
Second time (bugged):
Orbs Ledge1.png
Any thoughts?
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I have to fess up here by the way, I've been playing a hacked version which eliminates the thirst issue and allows you to carry unlimited objects. I did this when I played the game back in '18 with Canalboy and got so fed up I had to create a more user-friendly version. Still couldn't solve it though!
Hacked version here:
LostOrbAug23.ssd
(37.5 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

fuzzel wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 2:45 pm I presume by Fledge you mean the horse? I think you may also need the map and the rope. Incidentally I think I've spotted a bug and I'm not sure what to do about it.

SPOILER ALERT! DO NOT LOOK AT THE SCREENSHOTS IF YOU INTEND TO PLAY!

I decided to play the game through again to see how the score is compiled and I've got as far as the ledge. However, when Iqevax sebz gur tbyqra obggyr this time I get the message "Lbh srry fgenatryl jnezrq naq n frafr bs arj ivgnyvgl fcernqf vagb lbhe yvzof" whereas last time I got "Lbh srry nf vs lbh pbhyq sybng njnl" The second message happens "nsgre lbh'ir svyyrq gur tbyqra obggyr sbe gur frpbaq gvzr sebz gur cbby va gur fznyy ebbz" (all ROT13). See screenshots below:
First time:
Orbs Ledge2.png
Second time (bugged):
Orbs Ledge1.png

Any thoughts?
Thanks for that. I suspected I did not have everything, but when I threw the rope through it killed me in a very innovative way.

As to the bug, I had it too, but it disappeared if I closed the game and restarted it. Of course, you have to start from the beginning again. I guess that the game remembers what fluid is in the bottle when you STORE it and does not reset that if you quit and start a new game, at lest that was what I guessed was happening.

Chrys
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Chrysophylax wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:13 pm As to the bug, I had it too, but it disappeared if I closed the game and restarted it. Of course, you have to start from the beginning again. I guess that the game remembers what fluid is in the bottle when you STORE it and does not reset that if you quit and start a new game, at lest that was what I guessed was happening.

Chrys
I think you're right, if so I'll ask for a warning to be added to the game's page at The Complete BBC Micro Games Archive:
http://bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=2015
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

fuzzel wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:44 pm Can’t wait to see your final score. Speaking of onwards and upwards how goes the upwards?
I am up now. I think I have the Latvian idiot problem - I know what to do to defeat the Gorgon but I can't find the exact words the computer needs to understand this.

Incidentally, I think the extra points may be for solving the two rods puzzle repeatedly, which I need to do to transfer the various objects forward. Or perhaps that is another bug?
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

If you need the exact words to defeat the gorgon let me know. I wouldn't be surprised if you repeatedly get points for going through the door, it also happens every time you make the raft.
Chrysophylax

Post by Chrysophylax »

I have brought the ZVEEBE, also thought of making a OYVAQSBYQ, have I all the items? (I am only allowed to carry 5 items through, so if it isn't one of those I already have I have to rerun the game from the start.) Just answer 'Yes' or 'No' at this stage, I want to solve it with as little help as possible at this stage.
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

For the pinnacle I reckon you can finish the game with five objects although you won't be able (as far as I'm aware) to kill all the monsters and solve all the puzzles up there. I've still to complete my scoring analysis so won't know for sure until I do that if the aim is not merely to finish but to achieve a maximum score.

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic adventure games”