ABUG Cambridge Sept 7th-9th 2018 BOOKING THREAD

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
jgharston

Re: ABUG Cambridge Sept 7th-9th 2018 BOOKING THREAD

Post by jgharston »

Elminster wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:56 amTravellodge seems to be the nearest to thse criteria, all I think my wife is expecting 5 stars luxury as she is being dragged to a 'geek convention'.
I'm in the Travelodge, and it's good enough. 120sqft room with bath/shower/loo. It's where work sends me when they can be persuaded that a three-hour drive for an 8:30am start is excessive.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

All booked now thanks. Hotel is over near Parker’s piece. Not to far from computer centre but more conviented for the troops.
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

Hello all!

I would love to come to this, but am still trying to convince my family to let me drive up Friday evening and spend the Saturday there. I'd quite like to bring a broken dual 5.25" floppy drive and see whether anyone had some time to help me take a look at it, and was thinking about bringing my very-late-issue Master 128 which has a Toshiba CRTC chip, on the basis that Kieran/Tricky might want to diagnose Twisted Brain/Scramble CRTC timing problems on it! But, I'm wondering if asking this late, and then bringing hardware, is a possiblity, or should I instead wait for a later ABUG meet? (Totally don't want to step on anyone's toes or cause a fuss, so if it's going to be a problem then I will be completely fine with being told that there's no space!)
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi VectorEyes,
you're welcome to come along as a visitor for the day, it's just that you won't get a table.. If you've got kit that you'd like to have someone look at (repair) - there's always people working on hardware projects who may be able to give you a helping hand..

Re your Master with I assume the "odd" 6845 ..I'm bringing one of those but I'm sure Tricky and Kieran wouldn't mind having another to test out!
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi all,

If anyone wants to come with kit last minute - there's spare table space across the weekend for an additional person in the classroom.

Also note we have spare table for Sunday only.

Please PM me or post here if you'd like either of the above spots.

Thanks,
Jason
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

Hi Jason,

Do I need to have a 'proper' hardware project if I'd like a table? I have various pieces of hardware that I need to get working (a Master with broken keyboard, the aforementioned floppy drives, etc) but they aren't exactly projects that are going to contribute to the Acorn retro scene as such, they're just personal things I'd like to get sorted out. Are the tables appropriate for that sort of thing? If so I'd love a table for Saturday, but if you'd prefer to reserve them for more worthy projects then no problem.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Blimey VectorEyes! There's no need to consider whether a project is "worthy"! Having fun is what it's all about, be it working on your hardware or simply showing it off and hanging out with everyone!

Shall I put you down for a table on saturday seeing as there's a spare slot?
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Do I need to have a 'proper' hardware project if I'd like a table?
Don’t think it matters much. I plan to spend two days soldering stuff, just cause I have a backlog. Any thing I can find. Will solder tables to chair if I run out of things to solder
Last edited by Elminster on Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

jbnbeeb wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:54 pm Blimey VectorEyes! There's no need to consider whether a project is "worthy"! Having fun is what it's all about, be it working on your hardware or simply showing it off and hanging out with everyone!

Shall I put you down for a table on saturday seeing as there's a spare slot?
In that case then yes please!
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

VectorEyes wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 pm In that case then yes please!
Great :)
Can I just get your first name and I'll put in the first post at the top of the thread alongside the other attendees.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Latest :
There are **two** spare table slots for Sunday only. PM me or post here if interested.

Thanks,
Jason
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

jbnbeeb wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:00 pm
VectorEyes wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:56 pm In that case then yes please!
Great :)
Can I just get your first name and I'll put in the first post at the top of the thread alongside the other attendees.
Yes, I'm Adrian.

(Very!) Long shot but is anyone driving down from Durham area (Consett) who might be willing to pick up a Master and a Cub monitor? I'd like to bid for them on eBay but I can't get to Durham to collect the monitor! I know this would be putting you out of your way so happy to pay for the petrol cost for transporting a monitor and master, and a bit extra for the inconvenience!
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

VectorEyes wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:38 pm(Very!) Long shot but is anyone driving down from Durham area (Consett) who might be willing to pick up a Master and a Cub monitor? I'd like to bid for them on eBay but I can't get to Durham to collect the monitor! I know this would be putting you out of your way so happy to pay for the petrol cost for transporting a monitor and master, and a bit extra for the inconvenience!
Might be able to help with this :D I live in Newton Aycliffe, about half an hour south of Consett . . . unless anyone's nearer?

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

daveejhitchins wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:13 amMight be able to help with this :D I live in Newton Aycliffe, about half an hour south of Consett . . . unless anyone's nearer?

Thanks for the offer! Sadly it only occurred to me to ask a few hours before the listing ended and by the time you'd replied the listing was over. That'll teach me to not plan in advance!
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

VectorEyes wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:26 am
daveejhitchins wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:13 amMight be able to help with this :D I live in Newton Aycliffe, about half an hour south of Consett . . . unless anyone's nearer?

Thanks for the offer! Sadly it only occurred to me to ask a few hours before the listing ended and by the time you'd replied the listing was over. That'll teach me to not plan in advance!
Update! Actually the monitor... Which was the thing I mostly wanted ... Is still available. Dave I will send you a PM, unless by some remarkable coincidence somebody coming to ABUG lives in or near Consett?!
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

Hi. Are any ABUG attendees willing to try to do some more archiving as was done at a previous Cam ABUG?:
I've posted the revised Wanted list to the end of the linked thread:
:?:
Last edited by lurkio on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

I'll try as a break from archiving educational stuff. :lol:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

flaxcottage wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:56 pm I'll try as a break from archiving educational stuff. :lol:
Thanks, John!

=D> =D> =D>

(I hope you won't be left trying to do all the archiving by yourself though! All volunteers will have our undying gratitude, obviously.)
Prime

Post by Prime »

Anything anyone wants me to bring along to the show, apart from the normal soldering irons eprom programmers etc?

Cheers.

Phill.
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

Looking forward to my first ABUG. I have completely failed to do all the things I wanted to do before the event (sort out a working Gotek, etc) but still hoping to find people who might help me (ie show me how to) repair floppy drives, keyboards, etc, try out my shiny new UPURS cable, perhaps do a bit of 6502 coding, and generally meet and chat to people!

Could I ask a few quick questions?

- If you have a table, is there any power supplied, ie 4-way power adapters, etc? Or should I bring my own?
- What time do people pack up on Friday? If I'm driving up Friday evening, should I drop by, or just head to the hotel?

Thanks! See you all soon.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

We usually stay until Jason has had enough and throws us out. This can be quite late; even past midnight. So do stop by if you arrive in the evening.

Quite a few people will be bringing mains extensions. But we can never have too many. So if you have room, do bring some along.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Yes, always bring as many mains extension leads as you can. With all the gadgets and equipment, empty sockets in mains extensions soon become occupied...

Just don't let a fire fighter, fire investigator or jobsworth electricians (apart from StarDot members) into the room to see the daisy chained extension leads...

Mark
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Will anybody there know anything about Wiki admin? I think one of the recent software updates to the BeebWiki has killed the ability to upload images, and I can't work out how to fix it.

$ bbcbasic
>_
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

1024MAK wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:40 pm
Just don't let a fire fighter, fire investigator or jobsworth electricians (apart from StarDot members) into the room to see the daisy chained extension leads...

Mark
As it happens the 7amp fuse in one on my extensions poped yesterday. ant imagin why onyl had 9 things running off it.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi there,

It's nearly time for the meetup and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.

Just a quick note for those arriving on Friday to say that the classroom won't be available til around 4pm, as there is a school visit in there til around 3, and the room will then have to be (ironically) cleared of Acorn machines, Raspberry Pis and screens to make way for us all :)

You're welcome to come along before then and take a look around the museum and/or help me and museum staff move equipment if you wish..

Also - don't forget that the Acorn World exhibits will be in the main hall on Saturday/Sunday and that anyone can come along and see these and the ABUG meet as a regular museum visitor..see top post for details.

Thanks all and see you all soon.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

jbnbeeb wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:14 pm It's nearly time for the meetup and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.
Thanks, Jason! I'm not attending, but will it be okay if some able and willing volunteers come and raid access your archives again, to try to preserve some more rare and ageing Beeb software?

jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

lurkio wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:42 pm
jbnbeeb wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:14 pm It's nearly time for the meetup and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone.
Thanks, Jason! I'm not attending, but will it be okay if some able and willing volunteers come and raid access your archives again, to try to preserve some more rare and ageing Beeb software?

As long as people ask politely I'm pretty sure the museum will be ok with retrieving items.

If there's quite a few items though, I think it might be good if these were collated in a list alongside a catalogue reference..and that they be retrieved first thing or after 4pm when the museum isn't busy. I might've seen a thread where this has been done. There's a search feature at the top right of the CCfCH website: http://www.computinghistory.org.uk. Click on a search result.. and at the bottom of the page there's a ref.no, usually beginning CCH.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

jbnbeeb wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:48 pm
lurkio wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:42 pm will it be okay if some able and willing volunteers come and raid access your archives again, to try to preserve some more rare and ageing Beeb software?
As long as people ask politely I'm pretty sure the museum will be ok with retrieving items. If there's quite a few items though, I think it might be good if these were collated in a list alongside a catalogue reference..and that they be retrieved first thing or after 4pm when the museum isn't busy. I might've seen a thread where this has been done.
Yes, the list, with reference numbers, is here:
:idea:
Last edited by lurkio on Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

jbnbeeb wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:14 pmYou're welcome to come along before then and take a look around the museum and/or help me and museum staff move equipment if you wish.
I am planning to get there early tomorrow and am more than happy to help with setting up.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Travelodge have emailed me warning me they have limited parking spaces. If I can't get a space is it ok to park overnight at the museum?

$ bbcbasic
>_

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”