ABUG Cambridge Sept 7th-9th 2018 BOOKING THREAD

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
Elminster

Re: ABUG Cambridge Sept 7th-9th 2018 BOOKING THREAD

Post by Elminster »

Having just changed my Master PSU for a modern one, the Simoni design, if the old PSU is off any use to any one (not the metal case it obviously on the new PSU) I can bring it to Cambridge. Otherwise I guess it will be skip. Also note this PSU has the X2 caps changed about 6 years ago.

I also plan to bring other things I no longer need:

Various Acorn tapes
SATA HDs 750-1.5TB in size.
Couple of books
A helping hand
Anything else I find between now and Sept.
mattyj

Post by mattyj »

Hotel is booked! Travelodge it is.
Where's everyone else staying?
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

It's Alive!!
IMG_0454.jpg
My new project. I'm really excited about this one.

Will be working on this at Cambridge. It draws heavily on work done by another forum member who is also attending Cambridge. Hoping he'll share some of his wisdom with me.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi,
Oh! It's news to me too! I haven't been to the museum for a good few weeks. I guess it makes sense and would be easy to set up.. They could reuse the write ups that me and several others here wrote up for last year's event
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Although I will be at Prams in the Dark on Saturday 8th, I'm sure I could pop along for a few hours on the Sunday. There look to be regular trains from Kings Cross.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

BeebMaster wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:10 pm Although I will be at Prams in the Dark on Saturday 8th, I'm sure I could pop along for a few hours on the Sunday. There look to be regular trains from Kings Cross.
Be aware Cambridge station is on far side of Cambridge and not in town (if you didn’t know), then the museum is on the other side of town. I.e. it is a bit of a trek.
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

Elminster wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:52 pm
BeebMaster wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:10 pm Although I will be at Prams in the Dark on Saturday 8th, I'm sure I could pop along for a few hours on the Sunday. There look to be regular trains from Kings Cross.
Be aware Cambridge station is on far side of Cambridge and not in town (if you didn’t know), then the museum is on the other side of town. I.e. it is a bit of a trek.
I would say they are both on the same side of town. Google says the walk is 28 minutes.

Dave
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Depends on perspective. To me they are the other side but perhaps that is because I worked in central cambridge for 5years, so they are in opposite directions in my view of the world.

I use to work nearly opposite where acorn started.
Last edited by Elminster on Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dp11

Post by dp11 »

You could cycle it with https://www.ofo.com/uk/en
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

It is a nice walk, or cycle, as long as you arent trying to drag 4 Beebs in 34C heat. (or being Sept, rain)
Boydie

Post by Boydie »

Will there be facilities for archiving floppies?

I’ve got Taos on 3.5” for the RiscPC and Dos+ with Econet on 5.25” for the Master 512 that I’ve not got round to archiving yet...
flibble

Post by flibble »

Boydie wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:22 pm Will there be facilities for archiving floppies?

I’ve got Taos on 3.5” for the RiscPC and Dos+ with Econet on 5.25” for the Master 512 that I’ve not got round to archiving yet...
I can do the Achimedes discs (provided they're not copy protected), I'm sure someone else will have a 5.25 drive for the master discs too. Plus the museum has a kyroflux for the really tricky things.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

flibble wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:36 pm
I can do the Achimedes discs (provided they're not copy protected), I'm sure someone else will have a 5.25 drive for the master discs too. Plus the museum has a kyroflux for the really tricky things.
Ditto. :D

I shall also have a 5.25" Master setup plus Datacentre with me.
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
z0m8ied0g

Post by z0m8ied0g »

flibble wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:36 pm
Boydie wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:22 pm Will there be facilities for archiving floppies?

I'll bring my machine that has a Kryoflux and floppies setup for archiving. I'm currently working my way through several thousand Archimedes disks.
Acorn... lots of Acorn... http://blog.retroacorn.net
flibble

Post by flibble »

Boydie wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:48 pmIIRC they’ve got a working A680 there with appropriate flavour of riscix. Could do with cloning that onto my 680.
I had a quick word with Jason F at the museum, he's happy to let us backup and clone the A680 (he has 2). I'll bring along the bits I used to clone the R260 image previously.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi,
good to see people planning their projects for the meet up :)

I'm hoping to have a playable (though still not complete :( ) demo of my Tequila worm game to show off.

Also a reminder that for anyone not on the attendee list (which has been full for some time..) - if you'd just like to pop along (minus kit as there won't be room!) --- you're very welcome; just come along as a regular museum visitor..entry £8 for adults (I think £6 for children).
The museum is doing an "Acorn World" display in the main hall on the weekend of the ABUG meetup which should be of interest to most people here :)

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/ ... mber-2018/

Please see top post if you'd like to come along as a visitor.
Last edited by jbnbeeb on Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
helpful

Post by helpful »

tricky wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:50 pm I have only just realised that we are part of "Acorn World" again :)
Does that mean they will have extra exhibits out in the main hall again? That could change the space requirements in the classroom, e.g. I'll probably take space out there instead and do my impression of a tour guide :lol:
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

helpful wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:25 am
tricky wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:50 pm I have only just realised that we are part of "Acorn World" again :)
Does that mean they will have extra exhibits out in the main hall again? That could change the space requirements in the classroom, e.g. I'll probably take space out there instead and do my impression of a tour guide :lol:
I think it'll be similar to last year - but I don't have full details as it's a while since I've been over there; I'm going to go over in next few days and I'll find out then and report back here ...
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I am hoping to have my second very crude prototype of my Mega ROM Board up and running. And when I say crude, it is a working ROM board, but it’s far from Mega.

Failing that, I will have my even cruder first prototype working.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
tricky

Post by tricky »

Just booked a room for Saturday night, so see you there Saturday.
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

I’m hoping to be there all weekend now but don’t need a table for kit - I’ll just hang out with Tricky with my laptop. :D

If anyone could bring a Master with the dodgy VLSI CRTC chip that doesn’t display Twisted Brain or Scramble properly that would be very helpful for us to debug the timing mystery please!
Last edited by kieranhj on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

kieranhj wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:34 pm I’m hoping to be there all weekend now but don’t need a table for kit - I’ll just hang out with Tricky with my laptop. :D

If anyone could bring a Master with the dodgy VLSI CRTC chip that doesn’t display Twisted Brain or Scramble properly that would be very helpful for us to debug the timing mystery please!
Hi Kieran,
My Master has the odd CRTC and I'll be bringing it along. You and Tricky are more than welcome to use.

I'm going to the museum this Friday to do a day's volunteering and will also sort out some kind of table/space planning with one of the staff whilst I'm there. I didn't know til recently that CCfCH are going to do Acorn World in the main hall again. This makes it possible to free up a bit more space in the classroom.

Me, you and Tricky and possibly helpful (Bryan) can be out in the main hall (with our games/demos) along with "Acorn World" exhibits, freeing up classroom space, so could put up a few more last minute places in classroom for the weekend. So I think you'll be fine to bring your kit.

I'll report back on Friday re table plans and number of last minute slots if any more people want to attend and bring kit.
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Has anyone got a beeb/master top case they could donate?, condition irrelivant, infact it's just the brown keyboard surround i'm after.
I'm working out a streakless/foolproof retrobrighting technique and want to do some tests on this part before writing up my findings.
I don't want to potentially ruin a good one but something broken/busted up would be fine, thanks

stew
So many projects, so little time...
cmorley

Post by cmorley »

I'm going to see if I can make it on the Saturday (no kit & pay at the door) if possible. I'll be in Cambs the weekend before and later in the month so can I do 3 weekends in Cambs in Sept is the question...

If I can make it I will bring my laptop & Tube Serial Video kit. Perhaps I can borrow Tricky's Beeb with a CRT for a demo. I might encode something else too... my brother gave me a good suggestion for something that may work well.

If anyone wants hardware off me then I'll probably bring a selection along.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi,

I meant to report back Friday..but then procrastinated.

I've juggled things around a bit. 20 people in the classroom, 4 people in the main hall.

I went to the museum on Friday and did a count up of tables. We'll have 18 tables in the classroom.. and I think there will be 4 tables in the main hall for games/demos.

I've PM'ed some people asking if they'd mind having a half table (on my guess that they'll be bringing less kit).. essentially to have 4 people with a half table, and remaining 16 each with a full table in classroom. .. The people I've asked tend not to work on hardware projects so much so hopefully this will be fine.

cmorley - will PM you.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Semi on topic. I assume it is part of their Acorn weekend master plan but Centre for Computer History You Tube channel has been releasing several Acorn/ARM features over the last week.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Other things have cropped up and I'll only be here for the Saturday. See you there.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi all,
I've PM'ed everyone on the attendee list requesting confirmation that they'll be coming to the meet up.

If anyone can't attend, I'll free up a place and update this thread in case anyone can come along at short-ish notice.

**Speaking of which.. as JgHarston is coming along on Saturday only, there is a table available on the Sunday. Please post here or PM me if you'd like to come sunday only with kit**
Last edited by jbnbeeb on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Hmmm. Been to Cambridge 2000 times +/- 25% but only stayed in a hotel there once as I used to just flake out on people living room floors BITD.

Quite hard to find a hotel that is walkable to the centre (so I dont have to Taxi family about) AND has good parking. They often have 'limited' parking abnd people complain about it in the reviews.

Travellodge seems to be the nearest to thse criteria, all I think my wife is expecting 5 stars luxury as she is being dragged to a 'geek convention'.

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”