ABUG Cambridge Sept 7th-9th 2018 BOOKING THREAD

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
JudgeBeeb

Re: ABUG Cambridge Sept 7th-9th 2018 BOOKING THREAD

Post by JudgeBeeb »

jgharston wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:13 pm Travelodge have emailed me warning me they have limited parking spaces. If I can't get a space is it ok to park overnight at the museum?
I have always parked at the Centre and taken a taxi back to my hotel. Never seemed to be a problem.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

**BREAKING NEWS** someone has had to drop out last minute so there's a spare table space across the whole weekend. If anyone would like to book a table last minute, please PM me.
Kazzie

Post by Kazzie »

Elminster wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:39 pmAs it happens the 7amp fuse in one on my extensions poped yesterday. ant imagin why onyl had 9 things running off it.
I don't think I've ever seen a 7 amp fuse. My toolbox is full of spare 3, 5 and 13 amp specimens, and I've come across the occasional 10 amp example, but never a 7. At first I was wondering if your 7 amp fuse might have been as dodgy as a nine-bob note (hence the failure), but it seems to have been one of the ratings fuses in the original 1947 specification...
BBC Model B 32K issue 7, Sidewise ROM board with 16K RAM
Archimedes 420/1 upgraded to 4MB RAM, ZIDEFS with 512MB CF card
RiscPC 600 under repair
Acorn System 1 home-made replica
leenew

Post by leenew »

lurkio wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:51 pm
jbnbeeb wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:48 pm
lurkio wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:42 pm will it be okay if some able and willing volunteers come and raid access your archives again, to try to preserve some more rare and ageing Beeb software?
As long as people ask politely I'm pretty sure the museum will be ok with retrieving items. If there's quite a few items though, I think it might be good if these were collated in a list alongside a catalogue reference..and that they be retrieved first thing or after 4pm when the museum isn't busy. I might've seen a thread where this has been done.
Yes, the list, with reference numbers, is here:
:idea:
Yes,I know it's hard, time consuming work, but seeing as the museum seem to have the only copy of certain titles, it would be marvelous to get some more of them archived! [-o<

Lee.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Kazzie wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:39 pm
Elminster wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:39 pmAs it happens the 7amp fuse in one on my extensions poped yesterday. ant imagin why onyl had 9 things running off it.
I don't think I've ever seen a 7 amp fuse. My toolbox is full of spare 3, 5 and 13 amp specimens, and I've come across the occasional 10 amp example, but never a 7. At first I was wondering if your 7 amp fuse might have been as dodgy as a nine-bob note (hence the failure), but it seems to have been one of the ratings fuses in the original 1947 specification...
Avoiding topic police....

Nor had I till it blew, was original one that came with a surge protection 4 gang from new (it’s a good 20years old), I only had a 13 to replace it, ordered some 10s for a more permanent replacement, with the amount hanging off it I am surprised the 7 lasted that long.
Last edited by Elminster on Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Prime wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:38 am Anything anyone wants me to bring along to the show, apart from the normal soldering irons eprom programmers etc?

Cheers.

Phill.
One of your atom ram/ROM boards if I have the right person and you have any left.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Kazzie wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:39 pm
The following 1 inch fuses (suitable for 13A plugs and similar applications) are currently available:-
  • 1A
  • 2A
  • 3A
  • 5A
  • 7A
  • 10A
  • 13A
Although only the 3A, 5A and 13A are commonly available in shops.

If you order enough, manufacturers will supply other values. For example, my employer uses 20A 32V 1 inch fuses (yes, exact same size as plug top fuses) to protect one design of 24V DC motor.

A slightly smaller physical size fuse was also available in 1A and 5A ratings. The 1A being used for clock connectors. I don't know if these are still available now.

Now where's my gun and ban hammer for use on topic strayer’s...

Mark
tom_seddon

Post by tom_seddon »

jbnbeeb wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:32 pm **BREAKING NEWS** someone has had to drop out last minute so there's a spare table space across the whole weekend. If anyone would like to book a table last minute, please PM me.
I'd like to book the table for Saturday afternoon and Sunday, please, if it's still free. None of my BBC stuff has had its PSU caps replaced, though, so I assume that'll need doing - will anybody have a set of capacitors that I can buy?

I'd be bringing my Master 128 + CRT.

I've also got a BBC B + 6502 second processor, if capacitors would be available for those. (Do the second processors need fixing? - my B definitely does as its have already gone pop and I've already removed the old ones...)

Stuff I'd be doing: some BeebLink bits I've been thinking about, and maybe get a bit further with some BASIC Editor optimisations that I started on a couple of months ago. I can also help out with some archiving, though I'm a bit rusty when it comes to deprotecting stuff. Might have a go at properly fixing the 6845 code in my emulator too while Kieran and Tricky are nearby ;)

If I've got the BBC B and copro, I'll have a crack at making BeebLink work with OS1.20 (so far untested), and integrating the Tube host code (it looks like JGH has a nice assembleable version of it).

--Tom
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

tom_seddon wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:06 am I'd like to book the table for Saturday afternoon and Sunday, please, if it's still free. None of my BBC stuff has had its PSU caps replaced, though, so I assume that'll need doing - will anybody have a set of capacitors that I can buy?
I think I have a spare set, I'll bring them along.
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

tom_seddon wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:06 am
jbnbeeb wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:32 pm **BREAKING NEWS** someone has had to drop out last minute so there's a spare table space across the whole weekend. If anyone would like to book a table last minute, please PM me.
I'd like to book the table for Saturday afternoon and Sunday, please, if it's still free. None of my BBC stuff has had its PSU caps replaced, though, so I assume that'll need doing - will anybody have a set of capacitors that I can buy?

--Tom
As VectorEyes also said, i'll have some too and I'd love to pick your brains on the Exile disam :wink: :D
So many projects, so little time...
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

sbadger wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:25 am
tom_seddon wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:06 am

--Tom
As VectorEyes also said, i'll have some too and I'd love to pick your brains on the Exile disam :wink: :D
Ooh can I listen in? :)
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi all,
tom_seddon now has this spot.. so all table space now allocated.
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

Bit random but would anyone like me to bring some video capture equipment? I can capture 720p @ 50Hz inc. audio from real Beeb hardware through RGB SCART to a HDMI PVR. Let me know before we set off at lunchtime!
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

kieranhj wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:46 am Bit random but would anyone like me to bring some video capture equipment? I can capture 720p @ 50Hz inc. audio from real Beeb hardware through RGB SCART to a HDMI PVR. Let me know before we set off at lunchtime!
Would that be useful for our fellow programmers who are going to be fiddling with 6845 CRTC settings?

Mark
tricky

Post by tricky »

kieranhj wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:46 am Bit random but would anyone like me to bring some video capture equipment? I can capture 720p @ 50Hz inc. audio from real Beeb hardware through RGB SCART to a HDMI PVR. Let me know before we set off at lunchtime!
I wouldn't mind capturing some of my games and it would be good to capture the 50hz mode 0 video playback.

PS Jason, if it fits with The room layout, could I have chairs at my tables.
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

Rather late to ask I know, but one thing I've been after for a while is a ROM cartridge for the Master that lets you put a few ( say, 4 or 8 ) ROM images onto it and then select which two you want active. ctorwy31 (makes the IFEL branded hardware) made some a while back but doesn't have any left. If anyone has something like that sitting around they never use and would be willing to sell, please bring it along!
Last edited by VectorEyes on Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flynnjs

Post by flynnjs »

Should be on-site around 1500 ... see you soon
pau1ie

Post by pau1ie »

I bought a Music 500 recently, but haven't been able to get it fired up.

Can anyone help me with that? I don't have an amplifier, so was going to use the telly, but that may be a silly idea.
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

tricky wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:50 am I wouldn't mind capturing some of my games and it would be good to capture the 50hz mode 0 video playback.

I grabbed the gear on the way out. One thing is that we’ll need a HDMI monitor to see what we’re doing. I didn’t bring mine as there’s no room left in the car!
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
VectorEyes

Post by VectorEyes »

kieranhj wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:00 pm
tricky wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:50 am I wouldn't mind capturing some of my games and it would be good to capture the 50hz mode 0 video playback.

I grabbed the gear on the way out. One thing is that we’ll need a HDMI monitor to see what we’re doing. I didn’t bring mine as there’s no room left in the car!
I was intending to buy a small portable HDMI monitor to bring along, but I forgot and now it's too late to order one! I have a DVI monitor and an HDMI->DVI adapter, I'll see whether that setup works for actually getting video from a Beeb onto the monitor and if it does I'll bring it along and you're welcome to borrow it.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

I shall probably have my small portable hdmi monitor, if it fits in the car, seem to be full already and not going till tomorrow.
tom_seddon

Post by tom_seddon »

If my CRT survives the journey in working order then my 19" 1366x768 LCD TV with HDMI input will be spare - it's quite light and can sit on top of a BBC.

Looking forward to meeting everybody tomorrow.

--Tom
cmjones01

Post by cmjones01 »

I haven't looked at stardot for ages but just saw a tweet from @computermuseum that they're setting up for the ABUG event. I live just round the corner at the moment so I'll try and squeeze in a visit in between looking after the family/redecorating the house/all the other things that need doing.

All my Acorn kit is in Poland but I do have a certain amount of my electronics lab in Cambridge. If anyone at the event needs a good analogue scope, or a power supply, soldering iron, ridiculously precise multimeter or microwave frequency counter (or perhaps not), let me know.

Looking forward to it!

Chris
chrisn

Post by chrisn »

pau1ie wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:44 pm I bought a Music 500 recently, but haven't been able to get it fired up.

Can anyone help me with that? I don't have an amplifier, so was going to use the telly, but that may be a silly idea.
Quite possibly, yes. I'm at ABUG all weekend with a Music 5000 system, I have some powered speakers with me.
Atom / BBC B with Music 5000/4000/2000 / Electron / A3000 / Master 128
pau1ie

Post by pau1ie »

Thanks. I will bring it along then.
philb

Post by philb »

I'm going to come along on Sunday at some point. No gear (unless you count my daughter) but I look forward to seeing what everyone else has going on.

I seem to recall the museum has an HDFS in their collection somewhere. I wonder if they could be persuaded to allow the PROMs and disk to be imaged and a bit of reverse engineering of the PCB...
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

With the various and pieces I am bring for people from Mr Banana, stuff I am looking to bring to get rid of (see here viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15186&start=60#p208777), my beeb, 2 days of stuff to solder, and a family; I cant fit (and wouldnt have time to use anyway) the SWTPC 6800, so that will have to wait for another time (besides the dual 8 inch floppies weight a ton). Maybe ABUG South 2019.....

Be there as early as I can tomorrow (Saturday).
Deleted User 9295

Post by Deleted User 9295 »

Kazzie wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:39 pmI don't think I've ever seen a 7 amp fuse.
I'm almost certain I've got some in my collection of plug (BS1362) fuses; I think I've got 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 and 13 amp.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

VectorEyes wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:07 pm Rather late to ask I know, but one thing I've been after for a while is a ROM cartridge for the Master that lets you put a few ( say, 4 or 8 ) ROM images onto it and then select which two you want active. ctorwy31 (makes the IFEL branded hardware) made some a while back but doesn't have any left. If anyone has something like that sitting around they never use and would be willing to sell, please bring it along!
I now have a ‘writable’ ROM cartridge - if that would do?
Just search for ARA III

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
pau1ie

Post by pau1ie »

I'm going to be a bit late, probably around 11:30, but looking forward to it!

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”