ABUG SOUTH 1 to 3 June 2018 (near Camberley)

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
JudgeBeeb

ABUG SOUTH 1 to 3 June 2018 (near Camberley)

Post by JudgeBeeb »

The next ABUG will soon be upon us. We have a huge venue this time and there are plenty of spaces left.

The booking thread is here: http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 25&t=14128

This is an ideal opportunity for some new faces to attend. We are a very friendly bunch and anyone who attends will be made to feel welcome.

Do not feel intimidated. You do not need to be an electronics genius or a coding wizard. You just need to have an interest in Acorn related kit. If all you want to do is shoot the crap out of stuff in White Light, trust me, you will be more than welcome. Equally, if you're just interested in beer and a chat - that works as well. :lol:

There is likely to be lots of interesting, rare and odd stuff to see. There is a lot of software development going on at the moment; with two very high quality games that have been recently released: White Knight and Prince of Persia. There are all sorts of new hardware items being developed too; with the current notable highlights being BeebSCSI and VideoNULA.

Given the amount of space we have, everyone will be free to bring whatever kit they want to show off. (Although you don't have to bring kit if you don't want to.)

Although there can be no guarantees, if your Acorn kit is feeling a little poorly there is likely to be someone on hand with the skills and tools to fix it.

If you would like to come, please leave a post here: http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 25&t=14128 or send me a PM. The cost for the full weekend is a very reasonable £15. There are still some rooms available at the Hotel. But they are likely to sell out soon. So don't delay if you want to stay there.

A note about re-capping
8-bit BBC Computers have paper capacitors in the power supply unit. These dry out over the years and now have a tendency to go bang with the production of some fairly spectacular foul smelling smoke. This is unlikely to cause any electronic harm to your computer, but the smell lingers and is unpleasant.

It is relatively straightforward to replace the capacitors with new equivalents. However, if you haven't had your PSU re-capped (or don't know if it has been recapped) and are reluctant to do it yourself, there will be people (myself at the very least) at ABUG who will be happy to do it for you.

If you want your PSU recapped please can you purchase and bring the necessary replacement parts with you. There are several eBay vendors who sell cheap kits. Retroclinic is well known and trusted: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263287592196
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
1024MAK

Re: ABUG SOUTH 1 to 3 June 2018 (near Camberley)

Post by 1024MAK »

Yes, looking at the StarDot members who have already said that they will be attending, there should be a number of people present that may have hot soldering irons at the ready :D

May
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

I could probably make it but not sure what I would offer. Not sure my one achievement of doing a hardware list is going to be much of a talking point.

Unless people want to go climbing, I see there are a couple of nearby climbing walls. (I hold an MTA CWA).
danielj

Post by danielj »

We had a magic smoke release today with caps that were done two years ago :?

d.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

danielj wrote:We had a magic smoke release today with caps that were done two years ago :?

d.
Don’t make caps like they used to.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Elminster wrote:I could probably make it but not sure what I would offer. Not sure my one achievement of doing a hardware list is going to be much of a talking point.
You don't have to offer anything other than your company. Just come for beer and a pie.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

There does seems to be quite a few spare spaces. Perhaps I will ask the boss. Will update the other thread if/ when I get permission.

Perhaps I will take my climbing stuff in case the room is filled with exploding cap smoke :)

I will be starting a code club the following Friday, so if anyone has done that before (I am using codeclub.org) I might pick their brains.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I confess, I made the magic smoke, well my beeb from BITD.
The caps came from Mapling a couple of years ago and looked the business, but I guess they might have been really old stock, or maybe they were saving a bit of money and buying cheap knock-offs.
This is the machine that I use for testing, so it is often on, but not for long periods, maybe I'll get it checked in June, but for now I put some new caps in.
Attachments
popped_caps.jpg
tricky

Post by tricky »

I've got some leaded solder to make available to forum members at the ABUG meetups, donated by FordP.
The spools (is that the correct term?) will be available for donations to support stardot.
To give as many people as possible a chance to share in FordP's generosity, I think we should limit them to one 500g roll per person as this is probably more than most of us will ever need anyway, I hope it won't be a problem.
I don't know what is a sensible donation, but how does half price sound as a guide?
I have some pictures and will add them here as soon as I find my phone!
tricky

Post by tricky »

The solder is this type, but there are also some 0.7mm.
solder.jpg
solder_tray.jpg
solder_tray.jpg (41.17 KiB) Viewed 5997 times
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Multicore solder is the business. I used that BITD to build valve amplifiers.

1.2mm is a bit big for modern electronics, even my 0.7mm is getting that way.

It WILL last a long time. I am still on my original 500g reel of 0.7mm multicore which I bought over 30 years ago! Mind you I used to go through reels of 1.2mm solder in no time - valve equipment was real macroelectronics. :lol:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

tricky wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:31 pm The solder is this type, but there are also some 0.7mm.
Multicore solder.
That's good stuff :D

Mark
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Yup! Everything made by Baildon Electronics contained Multicore Solder . . . And also used, until everything went lead free, by Filtronic - where I once worked :shock: :lol:

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”