New Disk Image Editor

discuss pc<>acorn file transfer issues and the use of other utils
crj

Re: New Disk Image Editor

Post by crj »

jgharston wrote:Even if INF files don't make sense, either now or then, it's been around for more 25 years and any system that doesn't support them will have the failing that it doesn't support them.
Agreed. As I said:
crj wrote:I mean yes, if it's become a de facto standard it has to be supported for interface purposes
It looks like supporting them is a bit of a headache, unfortunately. Coming to the party late, things I'm unclear on include:
  • How do you transform the base filename into the INF filename?
    • Do you replace any existing extension, or append another?
    • If replace, what happens to files with multiple extensions?
    • If append, what happens if the name becomes too long, e.g. on an 8.3 filesystem?
    • On a VFAT or similar filesystem, do you transform the 8.3 name or the long name?
    • If the base filename is 8.3 but the .INF has a long filename, do you derive the case of characters in the long filename from the base filename or the Acorn filename?
    • How do you handle collisions when either you or some other software has already created a file with that name?
    • What do you do if you have no permission to create the .INF file? (This is a particular problem if you want to provide Acorn attributes for a directory but are not allowed to create files in its parent.)
  • How do you transform an INF filename into the corresponding base filename?
  • If presenting a directory to an Acorn system, what are you expected to do with files that have no corresponding .INF? What about .INFs with no corresponding base file?
  • Are we guaranteed that all characters in the host filename for anything with a .INF will be 7-bit ASCII?
  • Do we pair up files with their .INF case-sensitively or insensitively? Or does this vary according to the host filesystem?
  • How are top-bit-set characters represented in the filename field of a .INF file? (As-is? UTF-8 encoded? UTF-16 encoded? Transcoded? Prohibited?)
  • Am I correct that load/exec addresses should be sign-extended from 24 bits to 32 bits if and only if they are represented by six hex characters in the .INF?
  • What heuristic should be used to determine whether a .INF file is a regular Windows INF or Acorn attributes? (Unfortunately, square brackets are legal in Acorn filenames...)
  • What heuristic should be used to determine whether each successive field in the .INF is usable or a non-"standard" variant?
  • Does anything require, expect, or even use, CRCs in .INF files? If I modify the file, do I ignore the CRC, strip it, or update it? (If a CRC is present, is it guaranteed to be the final entry on the first line of the .INF? Is it guaranteed to be denoted by exactly four hex characters even if leading nibbles happen to be zero?)
  • If you modify the Acorn attributes, do you remove any tail of line 1 you don't understand, or do you preserve it verbatim?
  • What about subsequent lines of a multi-line file?
  • Are line-end characters prohibited, optional or mandatory? If editing the attributes should this be canonicalised or left as-is?
  • Is a DOS EOF character (ASCII 26) prohibited, optional or mandatory? If editing the attributes should this be canonicalised or left as-is?
  • How do you decide when to modify an existing .INF file v. when to replace it?
(For background, one reason I'm so careful about this kind of thing, especially as pertains to Murphy's Law, is that in a past life I worked on software that built a database for a directory hierarchy full of music files. Making sure that you could prepare that database on any of vfat, NTFS, HFS or ext3, under any of Windows, MacOS or Linux, then use it seamlessly under any of the others was... a headache.)
crj

Post by crj »

jgharston wrote:Any alternatives must start with "what happens with existing systems". So, going back 25 years, "what happens when I use an Acorn system to copy a file from an Acorn filesystem to a DOS disk?" Which, in terms of filenames is: the filename is as close to identical as possible. So, dragging HELLO from ADFS::HARDDISK4 to DOSFS::0 circa 1990, or using RdAcorn circa 1987, or ReadDFS circa 1985, results in a file called HELLO on the DOS disk and visible from DOS as a file called HELLO and loadable from programs running on DOS by using the filename HELLO.
If the aspiration is to interoperate rather than to archive, the question arises: what transformations to text encodings and/or line endings are performed under what circumstances, and how are they subsequently reversed?
crj

Post by crj »

jgharston wrote:Also, remember to translate between BBC filename characters and WinDOS characters:
# <-> ?
. <-> /
$ <-> <
^ <-> >
& <-> +
@ <-> =
% <-> ;
And special case, as it's nonreversable: WinDOS SPC -> BBC _
As a related headache, what happens when we encounter an Acorn file called CON, LPT1 or similar? Is there some accepted standard for what name to give it under Windows, and do we apply that standard even if the target isn't Windows, in case the files are subsequently moved? (Bearing in mind that if we have COM1 and COM1.INF under Linux and they get turned into something like _COM1 and COM1.INF when moved to Windows, we lose.)
crj

Post by crj »

jgharston wrote:Also, remember to translate between BBC filename characters and WinDOS characters
Incidentally, it's not stated but I assume it is understood that character 96 in Acorn filenames always maps to ASCII/Unicode character 96 (i.e. backtick) regardless of whether the file is coming from 8-bit or 32-bit Acorn systems?
yellowpig

Post by yellowpig »

Pernod wrote:I just loaded up a SSD containing four files with the purpose of simply changing the Boot Option from 0 to 3. When I saved this I expected only a single byte to be changed in the image, but no. It had re-ordered all the files in the image. If no files are being added or removed from the image then I'd prefer it didn't effectively re-create the image from scratch.
I'm afraid that's the way the program works. Sorry.

(When an image is read, it is converted into a list of files (or a tree of files and subdirectories). These are all combined back together on save. It would take a major re-write to keep track of where everything was originally.)
yellowpig

Post by yellowpig »

Can I just comment that I am fascinated by this discussion of INF files. I am going to wait to see whether any conclusions emerge before attempting to implement any of it in Beeb Image.
geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth »

yellowpig wrote:(When an image is read, it is converted into a list of files (or a tree of files and subdirectories). These are all combined back together on save. It would take a major re-write to keep track of where everything was originally.)
When I read in a disc, I read the entire image into memory - some might argue that it might be better to open the image file and just read what is needed as and when...sort of like how a real BBC does it (I'm assuming here, of course). I therefore open the image, read in the catalogue, and store the image in memory. When a file is required to be downloaded (extracted? loaded?) from the image, I then extract the data from the image stored in memory.
OK, I haven't quite got around to writing back to an image - although I have started. This writing back would then just mean updating whatever has changed (in the case of uploading/saving a file, this would mean writing the catalogue back, but is held in the same order as read). This also means that just changing the boot option just means changing a single byte as opposed to recreating the entire image.
As far as I am aware, DFS filenames are stored in reverse order that they are stored on the disc (i.e. the file at sector 2 will be last in the catalogue, and the first file on the catalogue will be the last sector(s) used on the disc).
Because I only read the catalogue, the information stored will include the file's location in the image (as this is stored in the DFS catalogue anyway).
Gerald Holdsworth, CTS-D
Extron Authorised Programmer
https://www.geraldholdsworth.co.uk
https://www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk
Twitter @radiogezza
yellowpig

Post by yellowpig »

geraldholdsworth wrote:When I read in a disc, I read the entire image into memory - some might argue that it might be better to open the image file and just read what is needed as and when...sort of like how a real BBC does it (I'm assuming here, of course). I therefore open the image, read in the catalogue, and store the image in memory. When a file is required to be downloaded (extracted? loaded?) from the image, I then extract the data from the image stored in memory.
That would certainly be one way to do it, like a BBC filing system does it. I just haven't done it that way.

My purpose when I wrote the program was primarily moving files from one format to another. (Host to an image, a DFS disk to a DOS one, etc) When doing this, keeping the original disk minimally changed is not relevant.

David
sweh

Post by sweh »

jgharston wrote:
sweh wrote:I wonder if we can create something that's backwards compatible. I wonder how many tools currently read the _second_ line of the INF file? So we could have

Code: Select all

FOO_BAR load exec Locked
V2
NAME:FOO BAR
v2 aware code can look for the second line and if it's V2 then read the 3rd line for NAME: then use that as the filename. Existing code will use the FOO_BAR name instead. Potentially this tagged format would allow for future enhancements as well. ("SOURCE:TAPE"?)
Wouldn't even need to look for V2, just look for the existance of second and further lines.
I was putting "V2" there as a sanity check, but also to potentially allow more versions further on down the line (if we see a V3 section but are only V2 compliant then ignore the V3).
Rgds
Stephen
tricky

Post by tricky »

I'm regretting mentioning inf files.
My original intention was only to note that they existed in the hope that you might be able to import them.

Now though, there is a problem to be solved ;)
How about having a line in the inf that is the beeb file name in hex, two "digits" per original byte (probably easier to parse than uuencode etc).
geraldholdsworth

Post by geraldholdsworth »

yellowpig wrote:My purpose when I wrote the program was primarily moving files from one format to another. (Host to an image, a DFS disk to a DOS one, etc) When doing this, keeping the original disk minimally changed is not relevant.
A programmer writes programs to do something that the programmer wants to do. If they then feels it is worth sharing, it is then shared. I certainly did not write my Disc Image code with the aim of turning it into an Image Reader (and, eventually, writer too). Basically, if someone doesn't like the way one program does something, they'll find other alternatives (and there certainly are a number of alternative disc image manipulation programs, both for DFS and ADFS, around now).
One thing you might want to consider adding in is support for Watford DFS discs. Just a thought.
Gerald Holdsworth, CTS-D
Extron Authorised Programmer
https://www.geraldholdsworth.co.uk
https://www.reptonresourcepage.co.uk
Twitter @radiogezza
yellowpig

Post by yellowpig »

In an earlier posting onthis thread:
jgharston wrote:Probably just a display formatting issue, but I
copied dfs:RGBEDIT to adfs:RGBEDIT - worked ok.
then copied adfs:RAMCOUNT/S to dfs:RAMCOUN - copy worked ok, but the RGBEDIT entry changed from being displayed DFS style:
* $ RGBEDIT FFFFFB56 0002B070 001AB
to being displayed ADFS style
* RGBEDIT WR FFFFFB56 0002B070 001AB 00
There is definitely a display bug here. I have just come across it myself, but I don't know quite what I did and I haven't been able to reproduce it. I wil correct it as soon as I can pin it down.

David
yellowpig

Post by yellowpig »

geraldholdsworth wrote:A programmer writes programs to do something that the programmer wants to do. If they then feels it is worth sharing, it is then shared. I certainly did not write my Disc Image code with the aim of turning it into an Image Reader (and, eventually, writer too). Basically, if someone doesn't like the way one program does something, they'll find other alternatives (and there certainly are a number of alternative disc image manipulation programs, both for DFS and ADFS, around now).
One thing you might want to consider adding in is support for Watford DFS discs. Just a thought.
Thanks for this. It is very much my approach.

Thanks also for the suggestion about the Watford DFS. I suspect this wouldn't be too difficult from where I am, and I am happy to have a look at it when I get time.
yellowpig

Post by yellowpig »

yellowpig wrote:There is definitely a display bug here. I have just come across it myself, but I don't know quite what I did and I haven't been able to reproduce it. I wil correct it as soon as I can pin it down.
Found the problem. (It happened when you pasted something from the clipboard more than once onto different disks - the two pasted files were not truly independent of one another (if that makes sense))

Also found another problem that would only arise if you tried to import a directory (originally from ADFS or DOS) via the host into DFS.

Corrected both of these and updated the version on the website.

David
yellowpig

Post by yellowpig »

I mentioned earlier that I was happy to share the source code of Beeb Image, once I had tidied up a few loose ends and added some comments to the code. I have now done this, so am ready to make it public.

A couple of questions, though, that some of you more experienced folk may be able to advise me on:
  • Where should I put it? Most folk seem to use Github, but I am not sure quite how that works. I presume I need to be registered for it. If so, who does the registering?
  • Do people think it is a good idea to include some sort of "free licence"? If so, which? I can release it under GNU GPL, or is that more than necessary?
David
danielj

Post by danielj »

With github you can set your own account up on and put whatever you like on it. You can also join the stardot group (I think Kieran has to add you?).

The GPL means that you maintain the copyright of all your code, anyone else who derives anything from it has to publish their changes to the source too, and everyone has the right to distribute it, but they must make sure that the copyright of the author is recognised. It covers your butt and makes sure that people can't take the wee-wee with your code -> you've given to the team effort, anyone else using the code and distributing a binary based on it must also contribute to the team effort.

https://tldrlegal.com/license/gnu-gener ... v3-(gpl-3)

Generally I think it's a good idea to use a license like that as it encourages others to play nicely :)

d.
simonm

Post by simonm »

As Daniel says, gpl is fine for community projects like this. I tend to use MIT license for most of my beeb stuff as I'm really not fussed what happens to the little bits of code I'm putting "out there".

For your tool David, I'd suggest something like this to get you started:

1 - set yourself up with a free GitHub account.
2 - create a new repository on your new account
3 - install the GitHub for Windows desktop app
4 - clone the new repo to your local machine (drag/drop the repo URL from your browser into the GitHub desktop app)
5 - copy your project source files into the new repo folder github app created for you on your local machine
6 - GitHub app will auto dectect these new files have been added to the repo, so now you just need to "commit" (check in) these files to your local repo - there's a button for it
7 - finally, click the sync button in GitHub app, and voila! Your project is now open source on the web!

If you want to make it a stardot community project we can do that later.

Good luck! :)
tom_seddon

Post by tom_seddon »

I made a new thread for .inf-related stuff, since I've been dealing with the format recently: viewtopic.php?f=54&t=15585

--Tom
acorndave

Post by acorndave »

Thought I'd add a few comments on this utility from a sort of 'well intentioned amateur perspective'. I have been dabbling with Acorn stuff since the Electron Days. Had a Risc PC later with 586 Card. But nowadays dabble via Virtual Acorn on Windows and then for BBC emulation by 65Host or 6502em and others. Recently I've been having a play with Beebem, which means I can run it in the desktop while doing other things. But this obviously requires imagefiles to get the best out of it

I have quite a few Imagefiles that I made some years ago when I still had an Acorn and Floppy set up. But I also had a collection of files originally copied from a floppy disc to Virtual Acorn. So from a Windows perspective these are just random files stored in a directory on the Windows Hard Drive.

Anyway I thought I'd try to assemble these as an adl disc image. I loaded up Beeb Image, created a new adl image and copied the files in. I'm guessing that as they are not being copied from an image, they are just seen as plain files (for want of a better expression). Consequently they had no load or execute addresses (just 0000000) and no Cycle Numbers. So when I saved out the 'completed' imagefile and tried to run the programs in Beebem, they appeared to run, but nothing was displayed on screen. Anyway undaunted I noticed that you can load up more than one imagefile at a time. As I say, I have quite a few complete imagefiles, so I loaded up imagefiles with similar contents and files and painstakingly copied the load and execute addresesses. Sometimes I just made an educated guess if I couldn't find an exact match. I also tried to apply a bit of logic and guesswork to the cycle numbers.

Just to say then, this may not be the easiest way to do the job, it was quite time consuming. But amazingly it did work ! So I have to say I think Beeb Image is great and I found it really easy to use, even if my approach is a little unorthodox
Remklep

Post by Remklep »

Thanks a lot for making Beeb Image, David.
I now can finally create empty DSDD disks and copy games like Elite on Side 0 and use Side 1 for the savegames.
BBC Model B+ 64K, 128K Memory Mod, RetroClinic External PiDirect with Raspberry Pi 3B.
BBC Master 128, RetroClinic Internal PiDirect with Raspberry Zero, TurboSPI MMC, RobC's VideoNuLa, Gotek Floppy Emulator.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

yellowpig wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:17 pmThere are some limitations, of course. For one thing it is currently Windows-only.
I've managed to get Beeb Image running in CrossOver (a WINE wrapper) on a Mac, and it works well and is really useful, but there are some weird graphical glitches:

Here are the Windows frameworks, etc., that are installed in the WINE "Bottle" in which Beeb Image is running:

Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 12.06.09.jpg
Screenshot 2020-02-15 at 12.06.30.jpg

Obviously I can't expect Beeb Image to function perfectly in an environment it was never targeted at or tested in, but, on the off-chance, I don't suppose you can spot anything that looks obviously wrong with my setup? Am I missing some essential framework or update or something?

:?:
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

yellowpig wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 4:17 pm I mentioned earlier that I was happy to share the source code of Beeb Image, once I had tidied up a few loose ends and added some comments to the code. I have now done this, so am ready to make it public.
I see you've not been online for awhile, but did the source code ever become public?

I have a feature request:
It would be useful to add a CRC32 (after File Size) column to the image view. You'd have to calculate this from each file individually. This would be very useful for comparing multiple images that appear to contain the same files but the images differ, maybe due to file ordering. It would allow easy identification of any files that differ between images.

This requirement has come up through comparing various images of Acorn User cover disks where I have multiple versions of a disk but on closer inspection revealed the file contents to be identical.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
jms2

Post by jms2 »

After several years of using it successfully, I find that Beeb image is no longer working on my machine (Windows 7). It loads, but then when I try to open an image I get an error message saying "Beeb image has stopped working".

I tried downloading the latest version, but it turns out I already had the latest version so this doesn't change anything. So presumably Microsoft have changed something in Windows which breaks it?

It's a very useful piece of software so it would be great if you could fix it.
rharper

Post by rharper »

Yes, my Beeb image stopped working under Windows 7 several months ago.
Ray
Raycomp
topcat96

Post by topcat96 »

Works fine here ... 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate - 16GB RAM

Simon

Post by Simon »

I had the same issue, it's fine till you try open an image, to fix it I closed it down, then in regedit deleted the "Beeb Image" key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER SOFTWARE\Yellow Pig I guess I somehow had bad settings. it's been fine since.
Electron (+1, +3, AP5)
Electron (RH +1, Pegasus)
BBC B 1770, boobip, Acorn Speech,Econet)
BBC B+ 128k (Acorn Speech)
Master 512 (ARA III, VideoNuLA, Econet)
PiTubeDirect, RGBtoHDMI, Pi1MHZ
Master Compact (Econet)
Econet: RiscPC 700 / A3020 / A3000
rharper

Post by rharper »

Simon wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:59 am I had the same issue, it's fine till you try open an image, to fix it I closed it down, then in regedit deleted the "Beeb Image" key in HKEY_CURRENT_USER SOFTWARE\Yellow Pig I guess I somehow had bad settings. it's been fine since.
Thanks for that information it has solved my identical problem. Beeb Image was working fine then after a Win 7 update it stopped.
Ray :)
Raycomp
jms2

Post by jms2 »

Fixed mine too. Incidentally, it has always worked fine on Windows 10. It's a really useful program so I'm glad to have it back!
DanCaster

Post by DanCaster »

Hi, I'm on Windows 11 and when I try to load an image, the program crashes...

I tried every possible compatibility mode (XP, 7, 8, etc), but the problem is always the same: the application opens, but when I try to load an image, it crashes...
james

Post by james »

If you don’t need a special feature of this disc tool, you could try instead Disc Image Manager, which should run on current versions of Windows

https://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21252

Return to “software & utilities for the pc, mac or unix”