Missing BBC Games HELP REQUIRED!

request software or documentation that you can't find online
leenew

Re: Missing BBC Games HELP REQUIRED!

Post by leenew »

Nice idea, thank you.
The only trouble is that these rare games are most often found within larger bundles.
Having said that...
It found FLAGS by Micro Aid :D https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... s&_sacat=0
I actually think this may be a program that draws flags, similar to the one from IJK? http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/game.php?id=1087

One way to find out....

Lee.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Wow, good work Mark (and Lee!)

I was thinking the same thing as Lee (that the rarities are much more likely to turn up in large bundles) but it's great to see the program has already flagged a cassette of interest (no pun intended).

Didn't want to hang around so for the sake of a fiver I've snapped it up (using Preservation funds) and will make a UEF once it arrives.
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
MolMagMan

Post by MolMagMan »

Cool :) Glad it worked.
I've tweaked it a little now so it searches for the publisher as well.
If you want edit access to it, please let me know.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

MolMagMan wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:32 pm Cool :) Glad it worked.
I've tweaked it a little now so it searches for the publisher as well.
If you want edit access to it, please let me know.
Sure, I've PM'd you an email address (have also activated your PMs in the process, so you'll be able to reply to messages now, as well as receive them).
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

leenew wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:23 pm It found FLAGS by Micro Aid
Lee.
I've got a Summer 1984 price list in front of me for Micro Aid.

In addition to Flags, it's also got Battlefield and Games 1 on it (which you already have on your MIA list) - but not Cards- however, it does list some other titles that may or may not be of interest ...

108 Golf Club Admin (B) .... unlikely we can class this as a game!
201 Games 1 (B/E)
202 Stockmarket (B/E)
203 Cribbage (B/E)
301 Hangman (B)
302 Distances (B/E) ... wonder what this could be?
303 Flags (B/E)
551 Chess (B)

Anyway, I'll scan it in properly later today if I can ...
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

The Flags tape arrived, but despite being labelled for the BBC it doesn't sound anything like a BBC Micro recording. MakeUEF certainly doesn't want to know.

Take a listen for yourself - anyone recognise the format? Or is it just an incorrectly recorded BBC Micro recording?!
davidb

Post by davidb »

Sounds like the sample rate is incorrect. Try playing it at 32kHz.
PitfallJones

Post by PitfallJones »

I checked the wav in cooledit and the frequences are 1700Hz and 3534hz - assuming they are supposed to be 1200Hz and 2400hz I stretched the wavs by x1.47 and x1.5 and made CSWs that I tried to load into b-em - it did pick up the block name as 'FLAGS' but had many errors.
flags.rar
(515.37 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

fuzzel wrote:
The Grange by Dobsoft - reviewed by Alice in The Micro User (Jan-84), this was described as atrocious so probably killed off any interest in it at birth so I imagine it will be hard to get a copy of. I'm intrigued though, just how bad is it?
I've found a couple of adverts for Dobsoft's The Grange:
Acorn User (Dec83):
Dobsoft ad Acorn User Dec83.jpg
Your Computer (May83):
Dobsoft Your Computer Ad May83.jpg
As it was advertised in May 1983 and December 1983 I'd imagine they'd have had a reasonable number of sales in that time, particularly with it being an adventure with graphics, although Alice's review in January 1984 would probably have killed off any further interest (at least amongst TMU readers).
A shame this game hasn't turned up (I'd also quite like a copy of Dirty Jokes :D )
Last edited by fuzzel on Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I think these two games are missing from the archive: Warex Soft's Escape and Probe:
Warex Soft Ad Mar84.jpg
Advert in Micro User (Mar-84) p.155
leenew

Post by leenew »

fuzzel wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:52 pm I think these two games are missing from the archive: Warex Soft's Escape and Probe:

Warex Soft Ad Mar84.jpg

Advert in Micro User (Mar-84) p.155
Never heard of these.
I will add them to the list 😊

Lee.
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Thanks Lee. The MIA list does appear to be getting bigger rather than smaller though - the "finds" have reduced from a tide to a trickle. I propose we start house-to-house searches...
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

fuzzel wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:10 am Thanks Lee. The MIA list does appear to be getting bigger rather than smaller though - the "finds" have reduced from a tide to a trickle. I propose we start house-to-house searches...
LOL good idea :lol:
But it certainly is quite the list, hopefully they are found sooner or later.
Regards Peter.
leenew

Post by leenew »

Does anyone have a copy of the games disc package advertised here from Doctor Soft?: https://archive.org/details/YourCompute ... or+soft%22
If not, does anyone have any of the following Doctor Soft titles:

Bondski
Fireman
Ghost Mine
Mission Alpha
Muncher

Thanks.

Lee.
leenew

Post by leenew »

Looking through the Missing Games list, most are obviously from bedroom coders who just took adverts out in the magazines of the day, without getting them published by a larger company. Many of these mail-order-direct-from-the-author games may be lost forever :(
However, we Do have a few missing games from relatively well known softwaer houses.
I feel these may stand the best chance of being found:

A&F --- Early Warning -
A&F --- Polecat -
A&F --- Roadrunner -

Acorn User (Optima? Micrograf?) -- Crazee Caverns (By Mark Smiddy)

Chalksoft --- Yes Chancellor - (Author Tom Tuite)

Doctor Soft --- Bondski -
Doctor Soft --- Fireman -
Doctor Soft --- Ghost Mine -
Doctor Soft --- Mission Alpha 3D -
Doctor Soft --- Muncher -

Kansas --- Space Cab -
Kansas --- Battlezone Six (BBC Version) -

Micro Power --- Chess (Model A Version) -

Salamander --- Fishy Business

Software For All --- Galaxians -
Software For All --- Ghost Maze -
Software For All --- Invaders -
Software For All --- Moon Lander -

Software Invasion --- Invaders -
*I have left off the most dubious entries which I don't believe were released for the beeb...
Lee.
Last edited by leenew on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Can you add to your list Level 9's Colossal Adventure (model A version) please?
After a discussion in this forum not so long ago it was generally agreed that they did indeed do an A version (although it was probably dropped after a few months).
leenew

Post by leenew »

Hi Fuzzel,
Yeah, I have it on the main list in the first post, here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=14458
The small list above is just my idea of the titles that should be easiest to find.
I really REALLY want to find the level 9 Model A variants, but I think they are exceedingly rare!

Lee
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Looks like we've missed out on Abductor - possibly the Salamander game referred to on this list:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Acorn-BBC-El ... 4479864112

Only just spotted the listing - it ended (with 4 bids) four days ago. I don't suppose anyone reading happened to snag it?

I've contacted the seller to see if there's anything they can do e.g. put me in touch with the winning bidder, or photograph the inlay/cassette and copy the cassette if it hasn't already been dispatched.

Abductor-Salamander.jpg
Abductor-Salamander_ebay.png
leenew

Post by leenew »

Nightmare!
I always think that SURELY anyone who is in to collecting old BBC Micro games, knows about Stardot?
But then these games hardly ever materialise... :?
Let's hope I am wrong about this one...

Lee.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

The good news is that the seller has been in touch with the buyer, who's happy to be put in contact with me regarding archival of the tape.

Now, the bad news ... I've got a feeling it might not be for the BBC/Electron after all. The artwork matches the Llamasoft game of the same name, for the Vic 20. I don't think Jeff had a BBC or Electron, and of course Adrian Stephens wrote the sole (known) Llamasoft release for the BBC (Colourspace).

As the seller has listed several other vintage computers - including a Vic 20 - I suspect the Abductor tape is actually for the Vic and it got mixed in with the Electron tapes. However I've asked the seller to clarify if he can remember playing it on the BBC or Electron.

Either way I'll keep you posted!
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

I love this topic, it's even quite exciting when a lost game is being auctioned on ebay and it's fingers crossed that someone on this forum forks out the necessaries. Perhaps someone can program a stardot bell which rings whenever a lostie is safely uploaded to the complete bbc micro games archive.
I wouldn't necessarily give up hope Arcadian regarding Abductor, your VIC 20 artwork is yellow with VIC 20 clearly emblazoned on it whilst on the ebay advert showing the games for sale it looks green to me and there's no computer mentioned.
RetroBob

Post by RetroBob »

MolMagMan wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:47 pm Hiya

If it's any use, I've made a Google Sheet which automatically searches eBay for games on the list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

*Most* of the time, the column "Items" will populate with the number of matches from an ebay search generated from the heading at the top of the sheet and the title. It's a little hit and miss when it works and when it doesn't.

However, clicking the arrow will load ebay search - forgive the intrusion of BBC tv programs :)

If someone would like edit access to this, please let me know and I can add you as an editor.

Mark
It'd recommend removing the publisher from these searches, otherwise great idea.

Dumb question no doubt - has anyone cross referenced these against the collection at the Centre for Computing History?

http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/page ... BC%20Micro
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

RetroBob wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:33 pm Dumb question no doubt - has anyone cross referenced these against the collection at the Centre for Computing History?
http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/page ... BC%20Micro
There have been threads about that in the past. Here's one:

viewtopic.php?p=168578#p168578

:idea:
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

Billiards by H and H is on Mick's 30th Anniversary disk 125.
iamaran

Post by iamaran »

Computereyes --- Square Root - UTILITY?

This is going to be the game Square Route by Computereyes for the A3000 as reviewed in Micro User, February 1991, page 17.
dudleysoft71

Post by dudleysoft71 »

iamaran wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:50 pm Computereyes --- Square Root - UTILITY?

This is going to be the game Square Route by Computereyes for the A3000 as reviewed in Micro User, February 1991, page 17.
Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time, Computereyes was my local computer store in Kent, it's where I used to buy my games from. I had forgetten they also wrote a few Archimedes games, and I believe Square Route was a puzzle game, but it was a long time ago when I was last there, I seem to remember the game though.
James Watson - DudleySoft

BBC Model B 32K - PiTubeDirect, Pi1Mhz, Smally Mouse, Gotek, DFS/ADFS, 4xSWRAM.
fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Arcadian wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:52 pm The good news is that the seller has been in touch with the buyer, who's happy to be put in contact with me regarding archival of the tape.

Now, the bad news ... I've got a feeling it might not be for the BBC/Electron after all. The artwork matches the Llamasoft game of the same name, for the Vic 20. I don't think Jeff had a BBC or Electron, and of course Adrian Stephens wrote the sole (known) Llamasoft release for the BBC (Colourspace).

As the seller has listed several other vintage computers - including a Vic 20 - I suspect the Abductor tape is actually for the Vic and it got mixed in with the Electron tapes. However I've asked the seller to clarify if he can remember playing it on the BBC or Electron.

Hi Arcadian, did you manage to find out if this was the BBC micro version, and if so, whether you could obtain a copy of it?

On a separate matter, thinking about ebay auctions led me to think about traditional auctioneers potentially having lots (!!) of BBC micro paraphernalia for sale. My local auctioneer, Featonbys, has a weekly auction selling the usual house clearance stuff (pottery, coins, old games etc) which is available to view online so I'll be keeping an eye out on that one. Hopefully others can do the same thing.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

fuzzel wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:55 pm
Arcadian wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:52 pm The good news is that the seller has been in touch with the buyer, who's happy to be put in contact with me regarding archival of the tape.

Hi Arcadian, did you manage to find out if this was the BBC micro version, and if so, whether you could obtain a copy of it?
No, I got swallowed up by ABug prep and forgot - but thanks for the reminder, I've just emailed the buyer now.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

... buyer has just replied and confirmed that it was indeed the Vic 20 game, which had been included amongst the Electron tapes in error by the seller.
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi,

just to be sure,,,

I saw: Level 9 --- Adventure Quest (16K version)

in the list...

Is: Level 9 --- Adventure Quest (32K version) know or unknown?... :-k

Greetings, Wim... :-)

Return to “archive requests”