Electron Cumana Utilities disc

request software or documentation that you can't find online
Pernod

Electron Cumana Utilities disc

Post by Pernod »

This is for the Electron Cumana Disk System and is in their own CDFS format of 40/80 track, 9 spt, 512 bytes per sector. If double sided then the tracks will be interleaved.

Not sure how we'd image it if found, but a raw sector data dump should be sufficient.
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Re: Electron Cumana Utilities disc

Post by Arcadian »

I'll message DaveE, I know he has (or at least had) this as he sent me a copy about 20 years ago (I'm not sure what happened to mine).
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
Leew

Post by Leew »

Was the Cumana util disk ever found?

I got hold of one of these interfaces recently with the original Cumana manual and have just repaired it (it was damaged due to corroded battery). Seems to be working OK but according to the manual you need a utility disk to set the clock.

The clock currently reads 31 October 1989 08:51... It's a little out of date :-)

Wonder if it can be set with Y2K date?
Lee W
------------
Proud owner of many Electrons, some Beebs, a couple of Archies, some Commodore 64s, Amigas, Atari STs and an Atari Falcon 030
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

No, Dave couldn't locate it either when I enquired last year, unfortunately.

If you wanted to use it as an Acorn DFS-compatible disc interface, you could install the SEDFS rom that Slogger produced especially for the Cumana interface.
Last edited by Arcadian on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leew

Post by Leew »

Yeah, was just working on my Slogger Electron Disk Interface, replacing the battery in that too whilst I had the soldering iron on the go, and realised that it is identical to the Cumana one.

I would prefer to preserver the Cumana in it's original configuration rather than replace it's ROM with a Slogger one.

Thanks anyway.
Lee W
------------
Proud owner of many Electrons, some Beebs, a couple of Archies, some Commodore 64s, Amigas, Atari STs and an Atari Falcon 030
topcat96

Post by topcat96 »

CJEMicros has a copy for sale if you can't locate it anywhere else.

http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/indiv ... =CUM-EUDSH
billcarr2005

Post by billcarr2005 »

topcat96 wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:42 pm CJEMicros has a copy for sale if you can't locate it anywhere else.

http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/indiv ... =CUM-EUDSH
I enquired about this yesterday and was told it couldn't be found and appears is not in stock.
Unless somebody snapped it up on Tuesday! :roll:
Last edited by billcarr2005 on Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

That happens a lot with CJE stock. I don’t think he’s managed to get stock control sorted out yet!

Maybe Chris can comment, if he’s watching?

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
Trelach

Post by Trelach »

I have one of these interfaces and pretty sure I saw the disk not that long ago stashed away.

If people are still interested I can try and dig it out and post?
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Trelach wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:55 pm If people are still interested I can try and dig it out and post?
A definite yes from me!
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Trelach wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:55 pm If people are still interested I can try and dig it out and post?
Yes please!
Trelach

Post by Trelach »

Pernod wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 2:09 pm
A definite yes from me!
No problem - I will see if I can track it down.

Chaotic week coming up so it may not be for a week or two but will do my best as soon as I am able to.
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Trelach wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:25 pm No problem - I will see if I can track it down.
Be aware that we don't actually know how this disc is formatted, so a flux image may be required for investigation. How are you intending to image it?
- Nigel

Trelach

Post by Trelach »

Pernod wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:30 pm
Trelach wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:25 pm No problem - I will see if I can track it down.
Be aware that we don't actually know how this disc is formatted, so a flux image may be required for investigation. How are you intending to image it?

I had a flash of inspiration as to where I saw it, checked and there is was.

As for how to image it- good question. I think I used it way back but could not be sure (40 years is a long time). I tried very quickly now but had no success, probably the most effective way would be to find a volunteer who has more knowledge than I and the right kit.

I can then post it to them in the hope that they can image it then send it back :D

I do not have access to PM at the moment so cannot reply, but let me know if that would work for you and if so send me some details.

Thanks
Ian
Attachments
Is this the one?
Is this the one?
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Trelach wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:07 pm As for how to image it- good question. I think I used it way back but could not be sure (40 years is a long time). I tried very quickly now but had no success, probably the most effective way would be to find a volunteer who has more knowledge than I and the right kit.
That's the one! Hopefully someone will volunteer to image this for us.

PS. You only need one more post for your PM's to be enabled.
- Nigel

Trelach

Post by Trelach »

Pernod wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:36 pm
Trelach wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:07 pm As for how to image it- good question. I think I used it way back but could not be sure (40 years is a long time). I tried very quickly now but had no success, probably the most effective way would be to find a volunteer who has more knowledge than I and the right kit.
That's the one! Hopefully someone will volunteer to image this for us.

PS. You only need one more post for your PM's to be enabled.
Just one more post? :D
IanJeffray

Post by IanJeffray »

@philpem's probably your man for this, but I may be able to help otherwise.

Is there any reason to beleive it needs anything other than "just reading", though?
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

IanJeffray wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:06 pm Is there any reason to beleive it needs anything other than "just reading", though?
It's not a standard Acorn format, suspect it's 9spt 512bps, so would prefer something that preserves the geometry rather than a raw sector dump.
- Nigel

philpem

Post by philpem »

I'm happy to help - feel free to drop me a PM.
Questions about software preservation (BBC, RISC OS or other platforms)? Please feel free to ask.
Currently looking for RISC OS software to archive and preserve, please drop me a PM if you have any to offer.
Trelach

Post by Trelach »

Thanks very much Phil - appreciated :)

OK we are moving forward as I have finally made the time to get the disk in the post to Phil.

So, with the Bank Holidays in between, I would imagine that it will get there sometime next week.

Return to “archive requests”