Snake from Your Computer

having trouble with an archived file? post in here!
Michael Brown

Snake from Your Computer

Post by Michael Brown »

Hi All,

I have a game called Snake aka Black Adder from Your Computer.
The only issue is that you do not die when you eat yourself although the instructions say you will!

Anyone able to check the code in this one.

Snake YC.zip
(3.02 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
I would love to include it on my Disc 118 next month if fixed in time.

regards,
Mick.
lurkio

Re: Snake from Your Computer

Post by lurkio »

You don't die when you eat poisonous fruit (diamond shapes) either. Something to do with a bug in collision detection, I think. But I'm not sure exactly.

:?:
Michael Brown

Post by Michael Brown »

I wonder if anyone has the Your Computer listings for this game we can check against in case the disc image is a faulty typo.

Mick.
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

After a small play, a few observations:

Your tail never gets erased.
When you die your length is always 3 (which is the value it starts off at).
You do not die when hitting your own tail
You die when you hit the screen border
A series of 5 squares arranged in a diamond shape are automatically cleared even after you move the snake through them
God-awful playing keys. Why weren't they ZX*? as per mostly every other Beeb game?

Definitely screwed up, but unless one fancies debugging the thing or checking against source code...

I've found another version online on Every Game Going that does cause you die when you hit your own tail, but still reports your length as 3.

I've attached the file here.

There are a few small bugs in this other version that are trivial to change:

After the assembly of the code it sits waiting for you to press any key. Erase line 3020 to remove that.
When you have died and the machine prompts you if you wish to play again, only 'Y' is checked for followed by the most unhelpful END command on the next line. You have to change that END to a GOTO 3050 and add a line 3065 to perform an END or STOP command if you have entered 'N'.

Other than that, isn't this a quick game (and wouldn't it be enjoyable if your snake length grew slowly in the proper manor).

I'll leave it up to anyone who knows 6502 better than I to check and compare the two versions.
Attachments
Your_Computer_04_05.zip
(16.68 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

SimonSideburns wrote:I'll leave it up to anyone who knows 6502 better than I to check and compare the two versions.
I don't know 6502 very well, but I did a quick textual comparison of the listings of the two programs using the Find Diffs option in a text editor, and it looks like the machine code is exactly the same in both versions of the program -- it's only the BASIC that's different (and most of the diffs are relatively insignificant (except possibly for the delay-length on line 3210)).

:?:

Return to “archive issues”