ABUG EAST MIDLANDS (Winter Warmer) 17-19 November 2017 (Leicestershire) BOOKING THREAD

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
Arcadian
Site Admin

Re: ABUG EAST MIDLANDS (Winter Warmer) 17-19 November 2017 (Leicestershire) BOOKING THREAD

Post by Arcadian »

daveejhitchins wrote:
Arcadian wrote:Does anyone coming have a nice condition Electron case + keyboard that they could sell me? Or a complete machine in real good cosmetic condition, but with completely sha**ed beyond repair mobo*? ;)

* = I'm sure DaveH would contest that there's no such thing as an Elk mobo that can't be repaired!!
You're right :shock: [-X =; [-(
I might be able to help you, however! Let me have a look . . .
Thanks Dave!
daveejhitchins wrote:p.s. Did you ever find your stash of Electron Keyboard ribbon cables that you said you had? Could really do with a few. I'm currently looking at viable alternatives . . .
I did, however they were mainly BBC keyboard ribbons unfortunately (3 small packs, maybe 5 ribbons in each). There were only 3-4 loose Elk keyboard ribbons. If I can find them I'll bring them along at the weekend (there's a possibility they may have gone into palletised storage when I moved out of Leicester in September, but fingers crossed I have them here in one of these boxes).
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
sbadger

Re: ABUG EAST MIDLANDS (Winter Warmer) 17-19 November 2017 (Leicestershire) BOOKING THREAD

Post by sbadger »

crj wrote:
Arcadian wrote:I'm sure DaveH would contest that there's no such thing as an Elk mobo that can't be repaired!!
See also: the Ship of Theseus :-p
Trigger's broom :wink:
So many projects, so little time...
flibble

Post by flibble »

Last time at Markfield I managed to repair my A4 keyboard connector, which was nice. Unfortunately since then my A4 has failed in another way. [1]

Would anyone be willing to assist in a little diagnostic help over the weekend? :)

[1] After leaving the machine on for a few hours I now have power light on, hard disc spun up, a blank screen and no sign that the OS is running. I guess start by checking the PSU and working on from there?
RobC

Post by RobC »

flibble wrote:Last time at Markfield I managed to repair my A4 keyboard connector, which was nice. Unfortunately since then my A4 has failed in another way. Would anyone be willing to assist in a little diagnostic help over the weekend?
Happy to try to help. I can bring a working A4 PSU if that would help?

Thinking about it, this could be another instance of the hanging problem. (Back in the summer, I was chatting to someone who had an A4 from new and experienced intermittent hangs right from the start...)
IanS

Post by IanS »

Anyone going at the weekend got a spare dram chip KM41C1000P-12 (1Mx1bit), or equivalent they can bring along for my A440/R140?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14064
RobC

Post by RobC »

IanS wrote:Anyone going at the weekend got a spare dram chip KM41C1000P-12 (1Mx1bit), or equivalent they can bring along for my A440/R140?

I'll have a look - I picked up some Arc RAM chips a while back.
sPhilMainwaring

Post by sPhilMainwaring »

I know this is officially the booking thread but I couldn't find a "General East Mids ABUG" thread

This is mainly a question for Ian Stocks and other Atom owners

Ian S: Will you have any of your Atom Econet boards with you at ABUG? I've *finally* remembered to take one of my Atoms with me!

Any other Atom (plus Econet?) owners: With JGH recently finding some of the original Atom File Server software I thought it might be fun (and instructive) if anyone who owns an "Econetted" Atom could bring them along so that we could have a sort of "version 1" schools type network ... and also see how well the Atoms behaved alongside some Beebs too on later versions of the file servers?
Prime

Post by Prime »

Phil, I'll try and remember to pack my Atom Econet board....

Does anyone happen to have a 14 pin Xilinx JTAG cable that I can borrow I have an FPGA baord I need to program, the board and programmer both have 14 pin 2mm JTAG, and I don't have a cable....other option is some soldering iron boddgery :)

Cheers.

Phill.
danielj

Post by danielj »

I think so - I'll put my xilinx stuff in...

d.
IanS

Post by IanS »

sPhilMainwaring wrote:Ian S: Will you have any of your Atom Econet boards with you at ABUG? I've *finally* remembered to take one of my Atoms with me!
Yes, it's been on my list of things to take to the next ABUG since the last meet.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I’ve been here for hours now. Where is everyone?
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
paulv

Post by paulv »

IanS wrote:Anyone going at the weekend got a spare dram chip KM41C1000P-12 (1Mx1bit), or equivalent they can bring along for my A440/R140?

I may have some. I'll bring what I have.

Paul
paulv

Post by paulv »

lazarusr wrote:I’ve been here for hours now. Where is everyone?
Um, I'm tucked up in bed with my tablet, surfing the web, resting and planning what I'm bringing with me on Saturday....

Paul
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

lazarusr wrote:I’ve been here for hours now. Where is everyone?
Um, you did reset the date on your watches and clocks in accordance with day saving time? In October we put the date back one day...
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I don’t think my Beeb is Y2K compliant.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
danielj

Post by danielj »

Does anyone coming tomorrow want a bbc micro monitor plinth? Freebies....

d.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

If it's a standard beige one yes please! :)
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
danielj

Post by danielj »

Yours!

d.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

I've fallen out of bed and try and get a nice early start. A couple of cups of tea to wake up, then I'll start dismantling stuff to put in the car. Might even be there in time for lunch. :)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
Prime

Post by Prime »

Well I have most stuff packed just got to move it to the car, as I'm only down the road in Coventry I'll not set out till after lunch as it's less than an hour's drive.

Any last minuyte things anyone wants me to bring?

Cheers.

Phill.
danielj

Post by danielj »

I'll be leaving here around 2.

d.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I hope I manage to walk around a bit more this time and see what everyone is up to. For my own part, I'll be assisting revaldinho in bringing up and hopefully demonstrating a couple of new CPUs as second processors. These are mostly the work of revaldinho and hoglet with some assists from me, and are the OPC6 and OPC7, respectively a simple 16 bit and a simple 32 bit machine suitable to be targeted by a BCPL compiler. They are also quite fun to program in assembly, being somewhat 6502-like, somewhat RISCy and a little bit ARMish. In both cases they have 16 registers and are very regular. You can see our progression here and some forum discussions linked here. ("OPC" stands for "one page computing" and refers to a goal of having the source code fit on one page of fanfold. That constraint keeps the CPU simple.)
sPhilMainwaring

Post by sPhilMainwaring »

Hi all ... leaving shortly

Mark H is bringing some recap kits and some Master key switches. He's arriving on Sunday but if anyone has any (at least 2) loose ones and are arriving before then could you give me a shout please :)

Thanks and see you all there!

JGH: could you bring any RiscOS Pico for the Raspberry Pi (Compiled for OSWORD and OSWRCH) thingymagig bits and files please so I can try and install it on my Pi

IanS: Thanks :)

Tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

p.s. Sorry if this posts multiple times - it isn't showing up when I hit submit!
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

sPhilMainwaring wrote:JGH: could you bring any RiscOS Pico for the Raspberry Pi (Compiled for OSWORD and OSWRCH) thingymagig bits and files please so I can try and install it on my Pi
I've been trying to download the Pico package from here https://www.riscosopen.org/content/sales/risc-os-pico for the last week, and keep getting no connection. Does anybody know of an alternative download (or already have it)?
p.s. Sorry if this posts multiple times - it isn't showing up when I hit submit!
I've been getting odd bits where I type, then glance up and nothing's there, so type again, resulting in it being their twice. Maybe there's some treacle in the intertubes.

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

jgharston wrote:
sPhilMainwaring wrote:JGH: could you bring any RiscOS Pico for the Raspberry Pi (Compiled for OSWORD and OSWRCH) thingymagig bits and files please so I can try and install it on my Pi
I've been trying to download the Pico package from here https://www.riscosopen.org/content/sales/risc-os-pico for the last week, and keep getting no connection. Does anybody know of an alternative download (or already have it)?

http://packages.riscosopen.org/RISC-OS_Pico.zip

this one?
Attachments
RISC-OS_Pico.zip
(3.51 MiB) Downloaded 101 times
So many projects, so little time...
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Just loaded the car ready to go and should be there by 1330hrs. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Just having lunch at Woodall. Should be there 13:30’ish.

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
tricky

Post by tricky »

I won't be there until tomorrow morning, but hopefully will be bringing a CRT-TV to fix dropping the RGB, a couple of beebs which fry their MMCs, a working setup to play with and a laptop to continue development of my new Centipede game which I have been neglecting recently.
RobC

Post by RobC »

I'll be arriving tomorrow too.

My plan is to bring some soldering kit as I'll be fitting some VideoNuLA boards. (I'll also have a few spares if anyone wants to buy one!)

I'll bring a Beeb running Unix under the Pi copro PDP11 emulator and my laptop in case I get a chance to do some work on BeebJack.

Happy to help others if I can.
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

sbadger & I aiming to be with you all about 10.30am Saturday. I will be trying out POP on my Master (maybe doing some work on it), asking RobC nicely to fit my NULA and likely looking at implementing the NULA scrolling functionality into b-em.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”