ABUG EAST MIDLANDS (Winter Warmer) 17-19 November 2017 (Leicestershire) BOOKING THREAD

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
paulv

Re: ABUG EAST MIDLANDS (Winter Warmer) 17-19 November 2017 (Leicestershire) BOOKING THREAD

Post by paulv »

@Alex, all paid up ;) Thanks

Thanks for all the offers of help getting kit over, it's much appreciated. I've got one of these now so moving stuff around isn't too big of a problem, it's the prep work to gather all the stuff together and then the loading and unloading that makes life difficult.
BMW320i-noplate.jpg
I do have quite a few things to attend to retro wise but I think I need to pick what I can manage to bring on the day. Off the top of my head, my project to-do list includes:

1. I still have two original run Matchbox co-pro's that need flashing with the latest images and also need the extra caps fitting etc. Definitely bringing these.
2. A 4MB upgrade for an Arc A310 to fit. - The Arc can be done at any time so no rush for this.
3. 2 * A3000's with no post errors that both seem to have died for no reason. I suspect they're both due to failed decoupling caps, I just need to test the theory. One of these is Arcadian's which died a month or two after I'd fettled it with some upgrades but taking them all out didn't help the situation so the new fault seems to be elsewhere. I think it would probably be best that I bring at least that one along so it can be fixed and returned all in the same day if poss. My scope is too big to bring so if someone is bringing a small modern scope that would be good to help troubleshoot the A3000.
4. An ARM3 conversion for another A3000 - my only working A3000 ATM so I don't want to do that until I have my other A3000 sorted. Besides, I have to find my ARM3 board for it.
5. A NewBrain that needs some TLC
6. A RiscPC that hangs when the 4.37 ROMs are soft-loaded. Works fine with 4.02 and used to work fine with 4.37 until a couple of days ago.. I've not had time to investigate but I just get a flashing cursor and no RISC OS "BIOS" screen with all that Select guff on it like it should show...
7. Two Model B's that need turned pin sockets and ATPL RAM/ROM boards fitting
8. A Master that needs the the Video NuLA I have and the John Kortink internal 6502 second processor fitting...
9. A BeebOPL that needs building
10. My disc drive/monitor bridge that I want to adapt with an internal DataCentre, BeebSid fitting..
11. I've also got a few Adafruit clock generators and prototype "native" VIDC Enahncer controller boards to experiment with which I never managed to get around to... and of course there's my actual VIDC Enhancer boards to start building too...

There are so many other things but I don't recall what they are at the moment. :shock:

I think I'll probably bring all the small projects that need soldering work doing together with my rework station and relevant tools and leave it at that... If I did more, what would I do once I'm back home! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul
flaxcottage

Re: ABUG EAST MIDLANDS (Winter Warmer) 17-19 November 2017 (Leicestershire) BOOKING THREAD

Post by flaxcottage »

Now that is a nice motor. :D :mrgreen:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

sixxdog_uk wrote:If you wish to stay at the hotel, the prices I've been quoted are £55 for the Friday night, £75 for the Saturday night or £125 for both nights. Rooms can be booked direct with the hotel on 01530 245454. PLEASE CHECK WITH THE HOTEL as prices may have changed since I last enquired.
If/when you do book a room here you do need to ask for this price. It's only a £15 saving, but hey - that covers the 'entry' fees!

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hey there.
Just rung the hotel and they initially quoted me 195 for the two nights! I quizzed this and they then offered 155 non refundable rate.. I pointed out I was attending the event but no dice. The receptionist said "our rates change every day". Just booked the hotel online for 139.50. Not sure how their pricing works but I have been bitten booking late at hotels before so I've booked now on this occasion.

Jason
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

This year (as in on Monday morning) I used this link that was in the first post in this thread. Room including breakfast and tax: GBP 126.00

Last time I booked with the hotel chain because I was a bit late in booking. I don't have this link to hand, as I'm mobile at the moment.
Edited to add: found it! Here is the hotel chain link.

The £125 quoted in the first post, is the same amount that I paid for two nights stay in January.

Mark
mattyj

Post by mattyj »

Prime wrote:Right Paid up, I'll be there as normal Friday afternoon till Sunday afternoon.

Might bring a Dragon & DragonMMC to show off as well as Acorn kit.

Cheers.

Phill.
Hi Phill
Are you bringing Dragon kits to sell. I want one :)
Thanks
crj

Post by crj »

I'm a bit late to this party. In the sense that it looks fully booked several weeks before I'm in a position to decide whether or not I'm interested.

I'm astonished at how large and vibrant the (Acorn) retrocomputing community is. Maybe the event could stand to be in a slightly bigger venue next time?
JonC

Post by JonC »

Unfortunatley I can't go to this now Alex. :(
My place can be freed up for the next person in the queue.
sixxdog_uk

Post by sixxdog_uk »

paulv wrote:@Alex, all paid up ;) Thanks

Thanks for all the offers of help getting kit over, it's much appreciated. I've got one of these now so moving stuff around isn't too big of a problem, it's the prep work to gather all the stuff together and then the loading and unloading that makes life difficult.

BMW320i-noplate.jpg

I do have quite a few things to attend to retro wise but I think I need to pick what I can manage to bring on the day. Off the top of my head, my project to-do list includes:

1. I still have two original run Matchbox co-pro's that need flashing with the latest images and also need the extra caps fitting etc. Definitely bringing these.
2. A 4MB upgrade for an Arc A310 to fit. - The Arc can be done at any time so no rush for this.
3. 2 * A3000's with no post errors that both seem to have died for no reason. I suspect they're both due to failed decoupling caps, I just need to test the theory. One of these is Arcadian's which died a month or two after I'd fettled it with some upgrades but taking them all out didn't help the situation so the new fault seems to be elsewhere. I think it would probably be best that I bring at least that one along so it can be fixed and returned all in the same day if poss. My scope is too big to bring so if someone is bringing a small modern scope that would be good to help troubleshoot the A3000.
4. An ARM3 conversion for another A3000 - my only working A3000 ATM so I don't want to do that until I have my other A3000 sorted. Besides, I have to find my ARM3 board for it.
5. A NewBrain that needs some TLC
6. A RiscPC that hangs when the 4.37 ROMs are soft-loaded. Works fine with 4.02 and used to work fine with 4.37 until a couple of days ago.. I've not had time to investigate but I just get a flashing cursor and no RISC OS "BIOS" screen with all that Select guff on it like it should show...
7. Two Model B's that need turned pin sockets and ATPL RAM/ROM boards fitting
8. A Master that needs the the Video NuLA I have and the John Kortink internal 6502 second processor fitting...
9. A BeebOPL that needs building
10. My disc drive/monitor bridge that I want to adapt with an internal DataCentre, BeebSid fitting..
11. I've also got a few Adafruit clock generators and prototype "native" VIDC Enahncer controller boards to experiment with which I never managed to get around to... and of course there's my actual VIDC Enhancer boards to start building too...

There are so many other things but I don't recall what they are at the moment. :shock:

I think I'll probably bring all the small projects that need soldering work doing together with my rework station and relevant tools and leave it at that... If I did more, what would I do once I'm back home! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Paul

Thanks Paul , all marked up as paid. Looking forward to meeting you mate.
sixxdog_uk

Post by sixxdog_uk »

JonC wrote:Unfortunatley I can't go to this now Alex. :(
My place can be freed up for the next person in the queue.

:( Thats a shame Jon you will be missed my friend.

Thanks for letting me know i'll adjust the list and contact the first person on the waiting list.

Hopefully see you at the next one. :D
Prime

Post by Prime »

mattyj wrote:
Prime wrote:Right Paid up, I'll be there as normal Friday afternoon till Sunday afternoon.

Might bring a Dragon & DragonMMC to show off as well as Acorn kit.

Cheers.

Phill.
Hi Phill
Are you bringing Dragon kits to sell. I want one :)
Thanks
Yeah can do, if you want one before then drop an email to : dragonmmc AT ramoth DOT org DOT uk Price is £55 + postage. If you look on the Dragon facebook group there's some info on a post a couple of weeks ago. Also you can look at the documentation here : http://archive.worldofdragon.org/index. ... vey-Smith)

Cheers.

Phill.
sixxdog_uk

Post by sixxdog_uk »

Could anyone on the list that has not paid or made contact with me do so as soon as possible please.

I'll send out reminder emails next week.

Many Thanks,

Alex
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

Alex,

Sorry for the short notice, but I'm not going to be able to make this one now. :(

Dave
sixxdog_uk

Post by sixxdog_uk »

Dave,

Booo won't be the same without you mate.

Thank for letting me know, i'll take you off the list and offer your spot to the next on the waiting list.

Hope to see you at another one soon mate.

Alex.
hoglet wrote:Alex,

Sorry for the short notice, but I'm not going to be able to make this one now. :(

Dave
tricky

Post by tricky »

I've booked a twin room incase anyone is desperate to share, but the guy on the phone didn't sound too sure!
z0m8ied0g

Post by z0m8ied0g »

Would have loved to have come but it's my other half's 40th that weekend and I'm having to take her to New York for the weekend.
Tempted to sit on the plane for 8 hours with a Beeb but I'm not sure what the US customs would make of it. Watch them all s**t themselves when it goes BRRRR BEEP on start up :)
Acorn... lots of Acorn... http://blog.retroacorn.net
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

hoglet wrote:Alex,

Dave
That's a real pity. I am hoping to have something ready that I thought you might be interested in.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

lazarusr wrote: That's a real pity. I am hoping to have something ready that I thought you might be interested in.
I can still be interested remotely!
danielj

Post by danielj »

If anyone has a gbs8200 (V4) that makes sparklies and would like me to do the fix that improves the picture and desparklies it, let me know and I'll make sure I bring the relevant bits.

d.
sixxdog_uk

Post by sixxdog_uk »

tricky wrote:
IanS wrote:...
Thanks.

Anyone want to swap room?
I haven't paid yet, but am happy to swap.

I may not make Friday evening, but if I don't, I'll try and get their Saturday mid-morning.

Richard,

SimonM wanted to be in room2 with his brother so , I've moved you back into the main room where you originally were mate.
simonm

Post by simonm »

sixxdog_uk wrote:

Richard,

SimonM wanted to be in room2 with his brother so , I've moved you back into the main room where you originally were mate.
Lol that's my "bro" kieran as in coder bro!
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Just formulating stuff to bring and work on next month and just want to shout out if anyone can help...

* I've two sets of a3020 4mb upgrade ram I can't get it to POST, is anyone bringing a working a3020 that would be willing to test my chips?

* does anyone have a bbc return key cap going begging? sorted

thanks
stew
Last edited by sbadger on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
So many projects, so little time...
Prime

Post by Prime »

Right,

Hotel booked, anything anyone wants me to bring? Will prolly bring solder /desolder /scope, and I'll try and remember my monitor this time....

Cheers.

Phill.
sixxdog_uk

Post by sixxdog_uk »

UPDATE :

Just had word , we can have access to the rooms from about 13:30 on the friday :)
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

sixxdog_uk wrote:UPDATE :

Just had word , we can have access to the rooms from about 13:30 on the friday :)
That's good. Time for a drink then set up. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Just noticed that they have a Christmas dinner available when we are there. Menu here: https://www.oldenglishinns.co.uk/our-lo ... stmas#tabs.

If we wanted to do this on the Saturday night we would have to book a table at a specified time, pay a deposit and pre-order our food.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Does anyone coming have a nice condition Electron case + keyboard that they could sell me? Or a complete machine in real good cosmetic condition, but with completely sha**ed beyond repair mobo*? ;)

* = I'm sure DaveH would contest that there's no such thing as an Elk mobo that can't be repaired!!
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Arcadian wrote:Does anyone coming have a nice condition Electron case + keyboard that they could sell me? Or a complete machine in real good cosmetic condition, but with completely sha**ed beyond repair mobo*? ;)

* = I'm sure DaveH would contest that there's no such thing as an Elk mobo that can't be repaired!!
You're right :shock: [-X =; [-(
I might be able to help you, however! Let me have a look . . .

Dave H :D

p.s. Did you ever find your stash of Electron Keyboard ribbon cables that you said you had? Could really do with a few. I'm currently looking at viable alternatives . . .
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
crj

Post by crj »

Arcadian wrote:I'm sure DaveH would contest that there's no such thing as an Elk mobo that can't be repaired!!
See also: the Ship of Theseus :-p

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”