ABUG EAST MIDLANDS (Winter Warmer) 17-19 November 2017 (Leicestershire) BOOKING THREAD

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
paulv

Re: ABUG EAST MIDLANDS (Winter Warmer) 17-19 November 2017 (Leicestershire) BOOKING THREAD

Post by paulv »

sixxdog_uk wrote:I'm particularly interested in how people found the two room setup.
It would appear looking at the lists that I spent the entire day in the wrong room but I had a great time so it had zero effect on me. That being said, a venue where either it's a larger room to accommodate us all or rooms that were closer together would have been great...

Having said that, I'm positive the strategic decision to have a venue where the bar was between the two rooms made it easier on those taking on the arduous ( :lol: ) journey between the two rooms :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a great weekend. Can't fault it.

Paul
BigEd

Re: ABUG EAST MIDLANDS (Winter Warmer) 17-19 November 2017 (Leicestershire) BOOKING THREAD

Post by BigEd »

Just got back(*) - great meetup! I even wrote some code, and generally got more done in two days than the previous two months. At least. And some good chats too. I'm still terrible with names, but I do get there eventually.

(*) OK, as it turns out I've been back for a few hours now, even unpacked and run some tests and pulled in some fixes from Dave/hoglet. Have captioned and posted a bunch of photos here:

(Tricky: I misremembered the thing I read about finding a very old Atari car racing ROM - not exactly the game you showed me - but here it is anyway!)
Last edited by BigEd on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Photos as promised...
IMG_5688.JPG
IMG_5690.JPG
IMG_5691.JPG
IMG_5692.JPG
IMG_5693.JPG
IMG_5694.JPG
IMG_5695.JPG
IMG_5696.JPG
IMG_5697.JPG
IMG_5698.JPG
IMG_5699.JPG
IMG_5700.JPG
IMG_5701.JPG
IMG_5702.JPG
IMG_5703.JPG
IMG_5704.JPG
IMG_5705.JPG
IMG_5706.JPG
IMG_5707.JPG
IMG_5708.JPG
IMG_5709.JPG
IMG_5711.JPG
IMG_5712.JPG
Higher quality versions (will be) available at (a link I will edit in tomorrow).

Mark
mattyj

Post by mattyj »

Brilliant event again.
Back in Bristol now, day off tomorrow unpacking.
Roll on the next one!
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

1024MAK wrote:Photos as promised...
Yeah gods, I need to lose weight!

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
sPhilMainwaring

Post by sPhilMainwaring »

Wonderful to see everyone as usual

Unlike past meets where I've (mostly) wandered around looking at what everyone else was doing, I had 6 or 7 tasks to work on this time and, while they weren't all achieved, progress was made in all endeavours :)

They were; in no particular order:

* Get my Valiant Turtle to do a self portrait - Not achieved using a pen but almost working on screen. Many thanks must go to Simon Inns for the communicator unit which will allow me to do so after the main turtle unit has received a bit of TLC!

* Upgrade Raspberry Pi RiscOS Pico to run my Enigma Emulator software - Completed! Thanks to JGH for the downloads, recompilations and installation setting

* Upgrade one of my Atoms to be able connect to an econet network - Completed! Massive thanks to Ian S for both providing and installing the upgrade and for the cable and clock to allow me to make, test and continue to investigate "econettyness" :)

* Continue development work on HTeMuLator - Not completed but showed the pre-release MMC menu and emulator with the MMC archive implemented by Kees Van Oss to a few people. This was mainly for the purposes of sparking "econet conversations" with Daniel J, JGH and Jason Flynn who has been working on an econet to USB unit which could be used to facilitate econet "cloud storage" for both real hardware and also for hardware and software based emulators - TO BE CONTINUED!

* Fix some broken keys on one of my Masters - Partially completed, with thanks to Mark H for bringing and supplying master keys in addition to confirming that they could easily be changed on a key by key basis. Thanks also to Tricky for facilitating!

* Upgrade my Master with an MMC card to act as a file server for the newly "econneted" Atom - Completed. Big thanks to Tricky for supplying the MMC adaptor, SD Card and MMC ROM. The cheque is in the virtual post!

* Thanks to Dave M for sorting a second Master which will become a local file server for educational workshops

* Thanks to Rob C? for all his time and effort helping to resurrect a colour palette upgrade for the BBC Micro which was developed by the company I worked for - Clwyd Technics - way back in 1982. It is my understanding that this predates another product which did something similar by about 7 years - Partially completed - we sussed out the wiring and that the button was for providing pass through video and loaded up the host machine (Rob's master) Although we didn't get it working Rob was going to continue to try back home and may post a write up and photo's/Videos at a later date

* Thanks also to the mystery donor of the Acorn User magazine (who's name escapes me!)

Great to see that there is now a "solid state" version of a Domesday system - New hardware mouse adaptor and tracker ball, new SCSI interface, new VFS and serial output, new FPGA co-pro and "virtual" (currently laptop based) laserdisk player

The genlocking was almost there but as this is (relatively) trivial and could be combined into the functionality of the virtual laserdisk on a Raspberry Pi this is all but complete. There is already an FPGA BBC Micro - if the FPGA "bods" extended this to be an FPGA BBC Master there could exist, in theory, a completely "solid-state FPGA/new hardware based" Domesday system. This would comfortably fit inside an emptied BBC Master case with keyboard as a backup for Domesday owners who wish to use the system and avoid further wear on their preserved systems -Huge QUDOS to Simon Inns, Ian S and any and everyone contributing in many different ways for helping to realise this wonderful project

I said it a few times over the weekend and will say it again here ... the ABUG group has such a wealth of skills, knowledge and resources that would be nearly impossible to achieve in other ways

and, finally, many thanks must go to Alex for organising this ABUG meeting and to anyone else who helped set everything up

Amazing weekend :-)
Last edited by sPhilMainwaring on Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

sPhilMainwaring wrote: There is already an FPGA BBC Micro - if the FPGA "bods" extended this to be an FPGA BBC Master there could exist, in theory, a completely "solid-state FPGA/new hardware based" Domesday system.
FYI, Beeb FPGA already has a Master mode:
http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 91#p124391

Dave
sPhilMainwaring

hoglet wrote: FYI, Beeb FPGA already has a Master mode:
http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewto ... 91#p124391
Thanks Dave ... two years ago too I see!

I was only saying to Ed this weekend I don't know where you find the time!

:)
crj

Post by crj »

Damn, folks - I wish I'd been there!

Maybe next time. And maybe I'll even have something cool to demonstrate if I can just get past inertia and fatigue.
flibble

Post by flibble »

A big thanks to Alex for organising this weekend.

I had a great time, managed to actually do what I set out too. I got the network computer booting off a modern linux (rather than an ancient solaris), Rob C repaired my A4, then Chris M helped me set up gcc for the beeb so my silly 'game' can progress a bit more :)
sbadger

Post by sbadger »

Had a great weekend - back to reality with a bump today #-o

Thanks in no order to:-

JasonF for writing an eprom for me (it works thanks!)
RobC for advice and nula chats
Rob Laz. again for his component advice
Kieran for the car share and good company while travelling
Ian and Simon for finding the article I wrote at school on the Domesday
Tricky for the games
Daniel for sorting me out for RiscPC bits
And obviously thanks to Alex for organising and keeping it smoothly running.

sorry if I forgot anything.. :oops: edit: I did, Mark @ RC - thank you so much for the mobo spades!
Last edited by sbadger on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
So many projects, so little time...
RobC

Post by RobC »

It was good to meet up with everyone and especially good to meet some people in person for the first time.

The weekend went very quickly so it must have been fun!

Thanks to Phil for showing me the Clwyd Technics palette extender - this is similar to Mike Cook's Chameleon but was from 1982/83 and so predates it by at least 7 years! I've since found a reference to it in a Micro User from 1983:
clywd_palette.png
clywd_palette.png (196.95 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
It was great to fix the hanging issue on Peter's A4 by reflowing the IOC - I suspect this could be the solution for others with the same issue.

I even managed to do some work on my Pi copro ZX81 emulator and it's hopefully not far off working now.

Thanks to all who helped make it happen.
sPhilMainwaring

Ah ... thanks for that Rob

Ian Winter was the guy who gave me the job at "The Coach House - Microprocessor Development Center" (part of Clwyd Technics)

25 a week sounds a bit more than it ended up being, however, as you may recall I had said that it was developed for Art Colleges which the article also mentions :)

I've got other software that I wrote for Wrexham Art College but this was written in BASIC for Z-DOS - an early Zenith PC Clone and with an EGA (or EGA type) graphics adaptor which was amazingly high res for the time with 16 colours

Some more Clwyd Technics references are here:

http://phils-place.co.uk/work/

Do please let me know if your scope reveals any signs of life

Cheers

Phil
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

sPhilMainwaring wrote:Some more Clwyd Technics references are here:
http://phils-place.co.uk/work/
Ooo. Talking about head-mounted finglongerers, watch closely from 2:40 into this video :)

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
Prime

Post by Prime »

I was talking to people about alternative board houses at the event Ian S I think, can you remind me what your suggestions where?

Cheers.

Phill.
simoni

Post by simoni »

Just wanted to add my thanks for a great weekend; well worth the trip from snowy Sweden :)

Thanks to everyone for their kind words of encouragement around the Domesday86 project, it was great to fire it up and let others use the emulated system!

My personal thanks to Jason Flynn for the new BeebSCSI boards - it was great to see the new version of the 'mini' board. It really is a pleasure to see an open project like BeebSCSI embraced and enhanced by others; makes all the design effort totally worthwhile!

Thanks to Alex for organising it all (and acting as my personal taxi driver :) )
IanS

Post by IanS »

Prime wrote:I was talking to people about alternative board houses at the event Ian S I think, can you remind me what your suggestions where?
I've only ever used OSH Park or DirtyPCB (the protopack are cheap if you fit in their size limits). https://dirtypcbs.com/store/pcbs
sPhilMainwaring

Is there a Domesday complaints thread?

I don't think they allowed users anywhere near long enough to browse the underwear section of the disc

sixxdog_uk

Post by sixxdog_uk »

sPhilMainwaring wrote:Is there a Domesday complaints thread?

I don't think they allowed users anywhere near long enough to browse the underwear section of the disc

:lol: I think you had quite long enough Phil :wink:
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

Ere, stop pulling, or the thread will completely unravel.... :shock:

<shuffles off muttering something under his breath about worlds and spectrums...>

Mark

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”