The Master List for New Retro Hardware

discuss both original and modern hardware for the bbc micro/electron
Elminster

Re: The Master List for New Retro Hardware

Post by Elminster »

No problem, there are a few recent products that need adding, hopefully will add those in the next few weeks.
pmul128

Post by pmul128 »

I hope this is the right place to report my own offering in this area:
I have cloned the BBC B+64K Acorn expansion board. I will not be selling this, but I am opening the CAD, etc. for anyone that wants to build one. It is hosted here: http://www.bygonebytes.co.uk/BBCBPlus_SRAM.html and here: http://8bs.com/boards/BBC-B+64K.pdf
Basically, this is a copy of the original Acorn 64K Expansion board.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Looks neater than my piggybacked chips on the B+. Yes, this is the right place, and indeed is much easier when people tell me than me coming across them. Will add as soon as I get 5 mins.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

pmul128 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:49 pm I hope this is the right place to report my own offering in this area:
I have cloned the BBC B+64K Acorn expansion board. I will not be selling this, but I am opening the CAD, etc. for anyone that wants to build one. It is hosted here: http://www.bygonebytes.co.uk/BBCBPlus_SRAM.html and here: http://8bs.com/boards/BBC-B+64K.pdf
Added, got there in the end.
KenLowe

Post by KenLowe »

pmul128 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:49 pm I hope this is the right place to report my own offering in this area:
Looks good =D> =D>, and is certainly neater than my rather home made attempt BITD:

http://lists.cloud9.co.uk/pipermail/bbc ... 02726.html (Surprisingly, the photos are still hosted on photobucket!)

I seem to recall that I modified the board further, so that I could enable / disable individual 16k banks, but that required the addition of a couple of logic ICs as well as a few more patch wires.

As you say in your upgrade notes, the tangle of wires on the official Acorn upgrade is not one of their best thought out upgrades!
pmul128

Post by pmul128 »

KenLowe wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:45 pm Looks good =D> =D>, and is certainly neater than my rather home made attempt BITD:
http://lists.cloud9.co.uk/pipermail/bbc ... 02726.html (Surprisingly, the photos are still hosted on photobucket!)
As you say in your upgrade notes, the tangle of wires on the official Acorn upgrade is not one of their best thought out upgrades!
Tnx! :D
Only took about 8 months, 2020 was a busy year. ISTR that the upgrade was an afterthought, not originally part of the B+ design.
bleister

Re: 3D print of Master Cartridge flaps

Post by bleister »

Hello,

Here is the design file (zipped)for the BBC master Flaps that cover the Cartridge slots.

When the Master I purchased arrived with both flaps broken from the rods, I arranged for a model to be made.
acornComputers_REV3.zip
(77.52 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
Attachments
flaps.jpg
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

I will add it to the list, did you want to create a separate post for it for me to link to? Currently, you have added it to the main list topic, Not that is matter too much. Just checking you realised.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Added 3d prints:

- BBC Type 1 Key Caps
- BBC Micro Speaker Mount
- BBC Micro Turbo SPI Case
- Gotek Drive Top Replacement
vanekp

Post by vanekp »

Wow did not realize so many different things where made for Retro gear, nice to have it in one list for easy finding, thanks.
Regards Peter.
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

(Some clues to recent updates can always be seen here:
https://github.com/elminster/elminster. ... its/master
or as an RSS feed here.
)
Gelpack

Post by Gelpack »

The RetroClinic DataCentre is now showing no longer available when I visited the link, so this might be something you want to mark on the list or remove ?

http://www.retroclinic.com/acorn/datace ... centre.htm

Cheers
Software Engineer, Acorn BBC/Retro & Electronics Hobbyist
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Gelpack wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:53 pm The RetroClinic DataCentre is now showing no longer available when I visited the link, so this might be something you want to mark on the list or remove ?

http://www.retroclinic.com/acorn/datace ... centre.htm

Cheers
Hi. Nothing is ever removed, but yes Mark hasn't made those for a year or 2, so I need to mark it as such if I have forgotten.

Thanks for reminding me.
mikeh_nz

Post by mikeh_nz »

Could we add to the list a section for hardware replacements?

As a new member to the forum (and trying to get my beeb to work again), I struggle to know where I can replacement parts from.
For example
  • replacements for the main chips 6502a cpu, 6845 crt, 6522 via, 5050 teletex, video ula
  • replacements for the memory
  • replacements for general 74LS series chips

Im totally new to this and so Im bascially searching Amazon for chips. I dont know if there are standard chip suppliers out there.
The information seems to be spread across the forum

It would be good if there was a table with the
  • chip,
  • IC #,
  • alternative chips that can be used,
  • recommended reseller urls,
  • optional notes link back to the forum (eg memory chips might link back to a discussion on memory chip access speeds)
Thoughts?
danielj

Post by danielj »

It's so dependent on where you are and constantly changes - but as a rule of thumb: 74LS series chips as DIPs should be sold by any main supplier. Others I'd contact Dave Hitchins on this forum and Mark Hayesman (retroclinic). Custom chips like the video ULA - start with retroclinic and then if they don't have them it's a question of asking around. Nowhere reliable for those. UTSource can be good for some of the harder to find non-custom stuff (but you do always run the risk of it being remarked - less so than random ebay, but it certainly has a risk attached).
mikeh_nz

Post by mikeh_nz »

Thanks - that’s useful to know.

Maybe just add this advice to the GitHub page under a section a section like “Retro Chip Resellers”?
Gelpack

Post by Gelpack »

danielj wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:57 pm It's so dependent on where you are and constantly changes - but as a rule of thumb: 74LS series chips as DIPs should be sold by any main supplier
Actually Daniel, I don't know how much you have tried to buy 7400 series chips lately, but even they are becoming more difficult to source. Yes you can get them but if you are not buying from eBay for example, then suppliers like Farnell and Radio spares say in the UK will have a delivery charge under a certain order value, so if only want 2 of something say you will pay maybe as much again or more than product to get the supplies delivered.

Texas Instruments 7400 series chips ( Ahh that Old hard cover orange Catalog - fond memories :D ) , although still used in new products in a limited way I would think, are probably really sliding further into the retro chip space for the majority of the range.

The Rise Of TTL - Some history

The world has replaced that functionality with programmable products now so discrete logic chips are mainly I would guess used for suppling the retro market in what ever space that may occupy be it retro enthusiasts like us, or old equipment anywhere which is still in use.
Software Engineer, Acorn BBC/Retro & Electronics Hobbyist
danielj

Post by danielj »

Gelpack wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:39 am Actually Daniel, I don't know how much you have tried to buy 7400 series chips lately, but even they are becoming more difficult to source. Yes you can get them but if you are not buying from eBay for example, then suppliers like Farnell and Radio spares say in the UK will have a delivery charge under a certain order value, so if only want 2 of something say you will pay maybe as much again or more than product to get the supplies delivered.
That's a fair point, and LS ICs tend not to be something that's cloned. There are quite a few reliable "local" sellers of that sort of IC. It's when you venture to the 6502s, 6522s and other stuff that you really start having issues with things being remarked. I have an RS trade counter near me so don't generally get stung, or you don't have to do a particularly big order from mouser/digikey to get free shipping. Again, as I said, it very much depends on where you are in the world.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Can you add UV resistant dust covers to the list please?

viewtopic.php?p=346759#p346759

Thanks!
Adventure Language on GitHub
Atom, issue 5, YARRB + video noise killer
Elk
A number of econetted (is that a word?) Beebs
BBC Master, Datacentre + HDD, pi co-proc, econet, NULA
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

mikeh_nz wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:13 am Thanks - that’s useful to know.

Maybe just add this advice to the GitHub page under a section like “Retro Chip Resellers”?
As Daniel, says I think tracking actual retro parts like ICs would be a bit of a nightmare and take far more free time than I have (which has been practically zero for the last couple of years). But yes I could just put a generic 'Ask Mark or Dave' tagline if that helps.

Of course, the hardware list is in GitHub so if someone wants to try and track them they can always add to the list via a pull request.
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Lardo Boffin wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:25 am Can you add UV resistant dust covers to the list please?

Thanks!
Oh, I clearly haven't checked for new stuff recently.

They look nice; I use a printer dust cover for Master and an old A1200 one (weirdly, the only thing I kept when I got rid of my Amiga 1200 years ago) for my electron (everything else tends to be in dustproof storage).

Yep will add I really must do some updates.
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Thanks!
Elk
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Lardo Boffin wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:25 am Can you add UV resistant dust covers to the list please?

Thanks!
Took me just over a year, but that is now done.
thedark

Post by thedark »

What about the master compact?
The Mertec companion from aotta.
-------------------------------------------------------------
-=[[ Music 5000 Stil Rulez On The Acorn Scene. ]]=-
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

Sorry, I have not been on much recently, nor do I have a compact.

Are you referring to this link?

viewtopic.php?p=418965&hilit=Mertec+companion#p418965
Lardo Boffin

Post by Lardo Boffin »

Elminster wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:33 am

Thanks!
Took me just over a year, but that is now done.
:D
Elk
thedark

Post by thedark »

Elminster wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:22 pm Sorry, I have not been on much recently, nor do I have a compact.

Not realy no. Its my own post. 🙈
But i dont see any hardware listed for a compact.
-=[[ Music 5000 Stil Rulez On The Acorn Scene. ]]=-
Elminster

Post by Elminster »

thedark wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 8:32 am
Elminster wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:22 pm Sorry, I have not been on much recently, nor do I have a compact.

Not realy no. Its my own post. 🙈
But i dont see any hardware listed for a compact.
There is only one hardware list. If you know of items specifically for the compact I can add them.

Return to “8-bit acorn hardware”