New Release: Castle Defender

doom99

Re: New Release: Castle Defender

Post by doom99 »

Totally addicted. I only got my first ever BBC micro a few weeks ago and I seem to have digressed from reading the manual and tinkering with basic to slaying wizards and snakes full time. Thumbs up chrisB. =D>
matosimi

Post by matosimi »

ChrisB wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:48 pm Announcing Castle Defender the BBC Micro’s only* tower defence game.
Hi Chris,
I just found your game whilst searching for tower defence games on 8-bits.
I am thinking of atari xl/xe conversion, could you PM me to not hijack this thread anymore?

UPDATE: sorry, i cannot reply your PM :( - i can only read it; could you contactct me directly by email <removed> ?

To answer your question from PM, I would like to try to convert your game to Atari xl/xe, it has same cpu, so logic could be easily reused 1:1, however it would require changes to gfx (equivalent to MODE 1 does not exist on Atari, so video data would need to be reduced to 2-color mode 320x192), also statusbar would need to be recreated/redesigned.

BR,
MatoSimi
http://matosimi.atari.org
Last edited by matosimi on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
matosimi

Post by matosimi »

ChrisB wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:48 pm Announcing Castle Defender the BBC Micro’s only* tower defence game.
Hi Chris,

Since there is no way (at the moment) to directly contact you, I have created new topic on the conversion: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=16091
I will be glad if you could help me with the stuff...

BR,
Martin
jonesypeter

Post by jonesypeter »

Please excuse my question as I'm still new to the BBC. If this is Mode 1, how are more than four colours on screen at one time achieved.

Thanks

Peter
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Hi Peter,
It is possible to reprogram the palette mid frame. The usual way is to set up timer interrupts and change the colour midway down the screen.
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
jonesypeter

Post by jonesypeter »

Thanks Chris. It's a very impressive game, both in terms of playability and graphics.

Peter
SevernWolf

Post by SevernWolf »

Hi Chris,

I've played this on an emulator and I really enjoyed it, but I've recently got a model B and I can't get it working. Loading screen appears and then I get a MODE 7 screen with a few random characters.

Is it compatible with a DFS where page is &1900? I'm just trying to work out what might be wrong.
Electron, Model B Issue 7, Master 128
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

It should be - The game loads from disk throughout so it's designed to step around the important areas. I've seen it play on real hardware. Which DFS do you have?
Castle Defender, Untitled Dungeon Game, Night Ninja, Wordle, Waffle, Acorn Island, Beebchase, Ghostbusters
SevernWolf

Post by SevernWolf »

Thanks for the reply, Chris. I've tried it with both Watford DFS and Acorn DNFS 1.20 with a Gotek and MMFS with SSD.

Anything I can do to diagnose? Skip the loading screen and *RUN the next file perhaps?
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

The main game logic is actually in Basic. I had a look at the code but can't really see where it's going wrong. Is there something raising page that's not DFS?
SevernWolf

Post by SevernWolf »

Sorry about the delayed response - I need to work out how to turn on notifications. It seems that MMFS was raising page above &1900 - thanks for your help.

Return to “new bbc and electron games from 'retro software'”