Retro Computer Festival - CCH, Cambridge - 16 & 17 September 2017

threads relating to past classic gaming/computing events
kieranhj

Retro Computer Festival - CCH, Cambridge - 16 & 17 September 2017

Post by kieranhj »

Hi all,

Just saw this advertised on the CCH website: http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/ ... ival-2017/.
An entire weekend dedicated to the Retro Computing Community. The Centre for Computing History will be opening it's doors on the 16th & 17th September 2017 and welcoming enthusiasts to exhibit their personal collections, retro computing mods and hacks.
The event is still very much in the ideas and planning stage, but if you would like to be involved as an exhibitor please do contact : jason@computinghistory.org.uk
I know we do a lot of stuff at the CCH but perhaps an ABUG exhibit is in order? I will certainly go along for the weekend. :)
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
JudgeBeeb

Re: Retro Computer Festival - CCH, Cambridge - 16 & 17 September 2017

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Looks good. At the moment, I am planning to be out of the country that weekend. But have put it in my diary if plans change.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

I guess since I raised the idea, I should contact Jason about our involvement. I will do that and update the thread.
Bitshifters Collective | Retro Code & Demos for BBC Micro & Acorn computers | https://bitshifters.github.io/
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

Reply from Jason:
Happy to have you (or someone representing Abug/Stardot) at the event :)
Space will be limited but you'd be very welcome. I can offer you a single 6ft x 2.5ft table.
There won't be space for pop-up banners I'm afraid as we're trying to squeeze in as many
exhibitors as we can :)

If you can give me a short description of what you're bringing I'll add you to the website.

Remember, we have a vast array of machines at the museum, so we're hoping exhibitors
can bring unique items and home brew hacks that will not already be on display.
Obviously there's is the Acorn World event earlier in the year so they're understandly looking for variety at this one. I don't have anything considered "unique" for the table and there's probably space for maybe two machines max across 6ft. Anyone have any thoughts about what we could / should do with this to represent ABUG? We can then figure out volunteers / logistics to run the stand as required.

Otherwise might just be a nice excuse to visit the museum again without lugging kit halfway across the country for a change. :)
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

More info from Jason:
I'm trying not to be specific on exhibitors. It's an event for the community. But I'd like the exhibitors to add to what is already on display
rather than just duplicate so mods, hacks, new retro hardware, rare and unique items are preferable so there is a lot for visitors to see.
Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this? Obviously we can discuss in person at the Acorn World / ABUG event in May - perhaps pick a couple of the more interesting things from that and setup for the festival weekend?
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

Ahh, I see from the site we already have some Beeb action:
Tom Williamson & Anna Fellows
Will have some of their updated BBC Micros that tour schools and colleges in the Midlands. Demoing new 8-bit games and software and add-on hardware such as Raspberry Pi co-processors and flash card based storage systems for the trusty beeb.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

I'd be interesting in attending. It'd be nice for a stand to rpresent Stardot/ABUG.. perhaps some fliers and couple of Beebs and some of the hardware projects - Beeb OPL springs to mind
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

jbnbeeb wrote:I'd be interesting in attending. It'd be nice for a stand to rpresent Stardot/ABUG.. perhaps some fliers and couple of Beebs and some of the hardware projects - Beeb OPL springs to mind
Beeb OPL is a great idea. Sounds like lazarusr is unlikely to be there but if someone else has a board setup that could work. Perhaps also Beeb SID if someone can dust this off? Could include our Bitshifters music discs as well for original SN tunes. Perhaps have a bit of a battle of the chips. :)

On that topic, I've tentatively opened the possibility of having a demo competition as part of the Saturday evening party. This would be for all "retro" machines, of course. Potentially including the MegaProcessor that's been installed in the reception area..!
Beeb2016

Post by Beeb2016 »

kieranhj wrote:Ahh, I see from the site we already have some Beeb action:
Tom Williamson & Anna Fellows
Will have some of their updated BBC Micros that tour schools and colleges in the Midlands. Demoing new 8-bit games and software and add-on hardware such as Raspberry Pi co-processors and flash card based storage systems for the trusty beeb.
Hi ... yeah thats Me and my other half :D
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

Beeb2016 wrote:Hi ... yeah thats Me and my other half :D
Great! Nice to meet you Tom. :) We can coordinate to ensure the Acorn contingent has a variety of content & interest for the event.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

kieranhj wrote:Sounds like lazarusr is unlikely to be there
The plan is that I will be going to VCF Midwest in Chicago the weekend of 9/10 September (where I hope to be showing off my Master 512 and BeebOPL) and to the World Maker Faire in New York the weekend of 25/26 September with general holidaying in between. :D
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
Beeb2016

Post by Beeb2016 »

kieranhj wrote:
Beeb2016 wrote:Hi ... yeah thats Me and my other half :D
Great! Nice to meet you Tom. :) We can coordinate to ensure the Acorn contingent has a variety of content & interest for the event.
Hi... hello to you to! :D Yes well as listed on the event page I'm planning on demoing Co-pro software with a Master and I have a new game which will be demoing on a Model B, Im also including one of my 'Micro One' Pi based kit computers running RISC OS 5 and a number of 26 & 8-bit emulators etc, So thats more or less the plan. :)
IanS

Post by IanS »

This event is next weekend, anyone planning to go?

I should be there on Saturday from about lunch time.
crj

Post by crj »

I wasn't.

But now you mention it...
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

I was planning to go but now can't make it. :( I have a double room booked (and paid for) at the Travelodge on Newmarket Road around the corner from the museum if anyone would like to make use of it?
tricky

Post by tricky »

I'd be interested in going and maybe taking a few beebs, do you think they want any more?
I'll have four player warlords and a sneak peek of my next project that I have just started.
I might also be interested in your room Kieran, how much do you want?
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

I'd completely forgotten about this due to RL (real life) getting in the way. I'd like to come along. Perhaps some Tricky/jbnbeeb/Retrosoftware gaming presence ?
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

I hope to go, not sure which day yet, probably as a joint expedition with revaldinho.
kieranhj

Post by kieranhj »

jbnbeeb wrote:I'd completely forgotten about this due to RL (real life) getting in the way. I'd like to come along. Perhaps some Tricky/jbnbeeb/Retrosoftware gaming presence ?
You'll need to check with Jason at CCH if they have any more space for actual tables / exhibits. It has been months since I spoke to him about a potential Acorn presence beyond Tom & Anna and my house move kinda got in the way.
helpful

Post by helpful »

I'll be there on Saturday from around midday. Just visiting not exhibiting this time, although I will probably be plugging the next ROUGOL meeting and the forthcoming RISC OS London Show :-)

Bryan.
RISC OS User Group Of London - https://www.rougol.jellybaby.net/
RISC OS London Show - https://www.riscoslondonshow.co.uk/
tricky

Post by tricky »

kieranhj wrote:You'll need to check with Jason at CCH if they have any more space for actual tables / exhibits...
I did email him this morning, but no reply yet.
aerworuld

Post by aerworuld »

If you're going, don't forget the British IBM are playing the Corner House on Friday night! (They'll be giving away zombies ate our roadies! floppies too lol)

Wish I could go... Have a goodun peeps!
tricky

Post by tricky »

Jason said he'd like me to go and will sort out a table, so I've taken over Kieran's room and will be there both days with a few beebs and maybe some work in progress.
dp11

Post by dp11 »

I'll pop along for for half a day. Which days are people most about?
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

For us, it's now looking like Sunday.
flibble

Post by flibble »

I should be about on Saturday afternoon, assuming I make it to the train on time :)
philb

Post by philb »

Sounds good. Sadly my wife has other plans for this weekend but I will see if I can get over there tomorrow for an hour or so!
sPhilMainwaring

Post by sPhilMainwaring »

Damn ... I need to keep my eye on stardot a bit more! I'd have gone if I'd have seen it ... would be gone 3pm though if I left now and on a journey to cambridge I like to have a few days. Have a good one everyone ... and take plenty of photo's and videos please :)

Return to “past events & exhibitions”