Power Software Joystick Interface ROM (Electron)

request software or documentation that you can't find online
Pernod

Power Software Joystick Interface ROM (Electron)

Post by Pernod »

Does anyone have a copy of the ROM from this Electron joystick interface? Can't find it anywhere :(
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
CMcDougall

Re: Power Software Joystick Interface ROM (Electron)

Post by CMcDougall »

Do you have a pic??
think there is only 2 in existence, I know a man who did dump one of them.... 8)
ImageImageImage
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Oh, I've got one of those somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out so the ROM can be dumped. (I did dump it years ago together with a load of other Elk roms but the floppy got corrupt).
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Arcadian wrote:Oh, I've got one of those somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it out so the ROM can be dumped.
Awesome, thanks. Would you also be able to tell which ROM bank the interface puts it in?
- Nigel

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Rom image here:
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=12924

In order to dump the ROM I had to connect the joystick interface to a Rombox (with the Advanced Rom manager eprom installed) connected to an L-shaped Plus 3 connected to an Elk ... the joystick ROM ended up in socket 15.

Tried it with a few games .... Bug Blaster, Repton and Magic Mushrooms all worked fine with 'Method 1' ... but neither Syncron nor Arcadians would function with either method. I notice it didn't allow you to select CTRL as a key input, hence it wouldn't be any good for games that used CTRL for left and A for right (such as Thrust etc).
Attachments
20170419_175227.jpg
20170419_175302.jpg
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Running in MAME...
power.jpg
The joystick interface is connected to the Plus 3.
- Nigel

Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Arcadian wrote:In order to dump the ROM I had to connect the joystick interface to a Rombox (with the Advanced Rom manager eprom installed) connected to an L-shaped Plus 3 connected to an Elk ... the joystick ROM ended up in socket 15.
Since you have a Rombox and Plus3 I'm curious as to what would happen if you put a ROM in the leftmost socket, ie. bank 4, to conflict with the ADFS. Would be interesting to know whether one takes priority over the other or if they are AND'd together or something else.
- Nigel

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Pernod wrote:
Arcadian wrote:Since you have a Rombox and Plus3 I'm curious as to what would happen if you put a ROM in the leftmost socket, ie. bank 4, to conflict with the ADFS. Would be interesting to know whether one takes priority over the other or if they are AND'd together or something else.
It just won't work - Data Bus Conflict! That's why I have disable links in both the original and new AP6s.

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

daveejhitchins wrote:It just won't work - Data Bus Conflict! That's why I have disable links in both the original and new AP6s.
Yeah, but if you tried reading that bank what would you get?
- Nigel

daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Pernod wrote:
daveejhitchins wrote:It just won't work - Data Bus Conflict! That's why I have disable links in both the original and new AP6s.
Yeah, but if you tried reading that bank what would you get?
Well, if you think about it - 2 x data buffers (74LS245?) - One driving low one driving high
74LS245 I Drive.png
As you can see the sink current should win! I'm not sure the 245 driving 15mA is going to be happy! - Effectively, you'll get garbage and possibly a damaged device or two!

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
Ukwebb

Post by Ukwebb »

I have a working example of one of these joystick adapters, Would it be worth my time breaking it down (carefully) and documenting the circuit?
it will be a challenge as they appear to have scratched the chip numbers off during manufacturing so it will need completely disassembling to work out the chips
BBC Bs, Master 128s, Master Compact, and Electrons, and an A3000 with an ARM3 :)

Don’t Panic and Always Carry a Towel

Return to “archive requests”