Wakefield RISC OS show 22/4/17

threads relating to past classic gaming/computing events
Prime

Re: Wakefield RISC OS show 22/4/17

Post by Prime »

Right I'll be there,

Booked into the hotel on friday night so Lesley & I should be arriving sometime that evening depending on traffic.

DaveM do you want me to bring the stuff from Bas, and your Olivetti, I could do with getting rid of it, I'll also build you an AtomSID if you want.

Anything else anyone wants me to bring?

Cheers.

Phill.
Last edited by Prime on Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leenew

Post by leenew »

I am gonna try and make an appearance.
I haven't seen your wonderful smiling faces for a while :D

Lee.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Oh that's good. I'll try to bring your Spectrum Mug you left at the last event you attended. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Be good to see you. :D
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
leenew

Post by leenew »

Ha! I totally forgot about that John :roll:
I hope you aren't charging me too much for storage [-o<
I just had a thought... :wink: I may fetch a dead speccy along. Or is it in danger of being smashed with a hammer by a passing riscoser :o
I remember getting funny looks when I wore a Nintendo T shirt :D...... In fact I may wear a spectrum T shirt this time :lol:

Lee.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

If the Speccy has its mobo replaced with a Pi zero you may be allowed to come in. :wink:
- John

jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi all,
to those attending the Wakefield show - particularly those bringing hardware along to display on tables - I have a request.

I've hired a table and will be showing mine and other peoples games. I'm keen to have the 50fps games looking their finest, and for that, a good old CRT monitor is needed. I have an old CUB, but the colour guns look to be slightly out of alignment and so the display is a little fuzzy.

Would any of you happen to have a good quality CRT (that could take an RGB cable or SCART input) that they wouldn't mind bringing that I could borrow for the day? Not the end of the world if not, but it'd be nice show off recent games at their best. Any offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

Sorry Jason, I cannot help. I have gone all LCD (and one LED) monitorish. :?
- John

danielj

Post by danielj »

Sorry Jason, alas I don't have a spare :(

This year, as well as the MDFS being up and running, I'm having a language-a-thon:

COMAL,LISP, FORTH, PASCAL and BCPL. (also fortran if anyone wants to get really filthy in panos)

I've got some ideas for programming "challenges" in each of those, but if anyone has anything they'd like to suggest (should be achievable without hogging the computer for 5 hours!), I'll happily include!

d.
RobC

Post by RobC »

I'm thinking of attending the show and can bring a spare CRT - I have various Acorn monitors with SCART or an Eizo multisync.

I could also bring my prototype enhanced video ULA board in a Beeb if people are interested in seeing it...
sydney

Post by sydney »

RobC wrote:I'm thinking of attending the show and can bring a spare CRT - I have various Acorn monitors with SCART or an Eizo multisync.

I could also bring my prototype enhanced video ULA board in a Beeb if people are interested in seeing it...
Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. Yes. I'm happy to let you have half of my table if you want.
RobC

Post by RobC »

sydney wrote:Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes. Yes. I'm happy to let you have half of my table if you want.
That's pretty definite! A share of a table would be great - thanks. Happy to split costs.
leenew

Post by leenew »

Would anybody who is attending the show happen to have any of the following spare parts they could bring along to help resurrect a dead speccy?
These would be borrowed for an hour or so to help diagnose a fault.
If they are available for sale I could purchase them on the day if it helps bring it back to life [-o<

7805 regulator
Z80A CPU
Speccy 48K ULA
Suitable RAM chips

Thanks in advance...

Lee.
Prime

Post by Prime »

leenew wrote:Would anybody who is attending the show happen to have any of the following spare parts they could bring along to help resurrect a dead speccy?
These would be borrowed for an hour or so to help diagnose a fault.
If they are available for sale I could purchase them on the day if it helps bring it back to life [-o<

7805 regulator
Z80A CPU
Speccy 48K ULA
Suitable RAM chips
Should be able to bring those if I remember, p.m. me on friday morning to remind me :)
Would also be happy to take your spectrum away and look at it for you if we can't get it going, you also going to Cambridge?
Could bring my test machine which has everything socketed.

Cheers.

Phill.
leenew

Post by leenew »

Brilliant! Cheers Phill.
I will pm you Friday.
I can't confirm Cambridge unfortunately but you are welcome to take the speccy away if she can't be revived.
Lee.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

RobC wrote:I'm thinking of attending the show and can bring a spare CRT - I have various Acorn monitors with SCART or an Eizo multisync.

Hi Rob,
I would be very grateful if you could bring an Acorn monitor which could take a Master 128 RGB signal.

Thanks to all who responded to my request ..

Jason
RobC

Post by RobC »

Will do.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Does anyone coming to Wakefield have a UNI GoSDC that they can bring along, please? I'd like to compare it to the one I have that's 'playing-up' somewhat!

Thanks - Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
Prime

Post by Prime »

daveejhitchins wrote:Does anyone coming to Wakefield have a UNI GoSDC that they can bring along, please? I'd like to compare it to the one I have that's 'playing-up' somewhat!
Dave,

Do you want to bring your Atom with you, I need to try and work out why it won't work in 1.7MHz mode and fit protection resistors to the transistors on the colour board. If I could take it away I'll drop it back to you at Cambridge, assuming you'll be there :)

Cheers.

Phill.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Prime wrote:Do you want to bring your Atom with you
Yup! I'll get it ready now . . .

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
danielj

Post by danielj »

In so far as additional goodies - I'm going to bring my kryoflux, but I'm not going to bring any repair gear this year. Is there anything in particular software-wise people would like to see?

d.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

I'll be bringing the latest iteration of Paul Boddie's Cartridge case - It's looking real good - still needs just a few tweaks, however!

danielj

Post by danielj »

Have you got your 3d-printer up and running now?

:D

d.
Prime

Post by Prime »

I'm tempted to bring the latest DragonMMC board (and a Dragon) to show that off, but I did want to travel lighter, and have some of DaveM's stuff to return to him.

Also as I'm also bringing Sinclair stuff to (hopefully) repair leenew's Spectrum, I don't want to bring any more non-Acorn stuff as it might piss the RiscOS people off I get the feeling we're already taking over / competing with them for space / attention :) Don't want to hijack their show too much :) :)

Cheers.

Phill.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

danielj wrote:Have you got your 3d-printer up and running now?
:oops:

Just the software to get running . . . in mitigation: AP5 and getting ready for here have taken up some time :roll:

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Right, have got the car all loaded, I'm bringing:

- a Beeb showing off a brand new version of Sarah Walker's White Light, compiled especially for the show
- another Beeb demoing Castle Defender by Chris Bradburne
- an Electron Plus 3, running Darkness of Raven Wood by John Blythe.

I'll also bring Tricky's new version of Space Invaders, but I think that may be demoed on sydney's table?

I'll also be bringing a Valiant Turtle which we're keen to have set up at the Acorn World event in Cambridge next month. Despite powering up ok and holding charge etc - it doesn't seem want to recognise instructions sent from the Beeb via the Valiant 'Communicator' interface. Are there any Valiant wizards attending Wakefield, perchance?
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hi,
I have another cheeky request.
Does anyone have an extra Beeb RGB -> SCART lead to bring along that they wouldn't mind me borrowing for saturday?

I have one - but I need two .. :)

Thanks,
Jason
RobC

Post by RobC »

jbnbeeb wrote:Does anyone have an extra Beeb RGB -> SCART lead to bring along that they wouldn't mind me borrowing for saturday?
Sure - I'll bring one along with the monitor.
danielj

Post by danielj »

What's anyone's ETA? I aim to be in the bar by about 7.30 ish :)

d.
sydney

Post by sydney »

Going for dinner with the wife at 7. We'll head to the bar around 8.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

I'm at the hotel now, knocking up Powerpoint slides about the games I'm going to be showing tomorrow..

Return to “past events & exhibitions”