Plans for ABUG North 18th-20th Nov.

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
Prime

Plans for ABUG North 18th-20th Nov.

Post by Prime »

Hi All,

Thought I'd give people a heads up as to one of the things I'm planning to do at the meetup.

I'd like to expand the list of tested motherboards / PC hardware that we know is good for imaging beeb floppies, so If anyone has any old motherboards (I'm thinking P3/P4 / Athlon timeframe or newer) that they could bring along and I could test, or even full PCs, I know that Arcadian has said he has some that he will be bringing.

I believe that Dave Hitchens said he had some 5.25" PC floppy drives that he'd like to get going, Dave if you want to bring those along we could have a look at them. I alsoi seem to remember that you had an Athlon board from me a couple of years back, if you bring that along we can test it too :)

I'll be bringing a couple of PSUs, various types of RAM, processors, cables etc to give us as good a chance as we can have of getting things going.

Cheers.

Phill.
JudgeBeeb

Re: Plans for ABUG North 18th-20th Nov.

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I have a few. I will see what I can bring.

I maybe struggling for space in the boot of my car. I am going on to do some work in Leeds after the meet up and I need room for that. Plus it all needs to fit in the boot - I don't really want anything on display on the seats.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
danielj

Post by danielj »

I'll be bringing some disc duplication gubbins, I have it writ that I need to bring the bits to repair a riscPC around the battery area? (caps/resistors?)

d.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

I'm possibly bringing my Domesday Machine - as long as I can get it there in one piece (well, 4 pieces plus cables), I haven't finalised my travel plans yet. That's if it still works, it's due out of the wardrobe at the weekend for a test.

I'd also like to bring a selection of battery-damaged kit if anybody fancies a challenge - 2 x RISC PC and 2 x MDFS main unit. I think the consensus is that the CMOS chips on the RISC PCs are bust - can I get new ones and can somebody fit them if I do?

What is the state of the Bolton Econet, is anything needed?
danielj

Post by danielj »

Ian - I'll be on a RiscPC mission with things like that, so if you can get new clock ICs I'll fit them. We'll see if we can have a bit more of a go at the MDFSs too if there's time?

I'll bring my MDFS and some cable/sockets.

Also bringing the Victor 9000 as frankly it's rather awesome.

d.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

I would really appreciate it if there was someone who could help me get to the bottom of the issue with my flickering LCD tv/monitor. It works fine with my Master 128 but has significant problems with my Model B via both RGB and composite.

This makes me think that the problem is with the Beeb and not the TV. It looks like some kind of sync timing issue, but when I look at it on the 'scope, everything looks rock steady. But I am really exceptionally naive when it comes to things like this. So any help would be really appreciated.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
danielj

Post by danielj »

There are definitely some differences between the video on the Beeb/Master (my extron gives a perfect picture with the beeb, a slightly wibbly interlace with the master)
d.
VincentVega

Post by VincentVega »

danielj wrote:I'll be bringing some disc duplication gubbins, I have it writ that I need to bring the bits to repair a riscPC around the battery area? (caps/resistors?)
That was for me, if you still don't mind doing it; it would be hugely appreciated if you could. I have a new clock chip ready to go (the old one has parted company with the motherboard). I will also be bringing an Electron that hasn't worked since the late 1980s - if someone could have a look at it to see if it's salvageable, I'd be a happy bunny. It's my first ever computer, so has sentimental value.
danielj wrote:Ian - I'll be on a RiscPC mission with things like that, so if you can get new clock ICs I'll fit them.
I got mine from Farnell at a cost of £2.04:

http://uk.farnell.com/nxp/pcf8583t-5-51 ... 7-00001003

I'd also be interested in a 40/80 track disc drive (preferably dual) if anyone has one they'd like to sell.
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Got the clock chips, exact same part. They've arrived sealed in tin foil with instructions on the front saying they need to be baked before use. So I haven't opened them to inspect, hopefully they will be right. We might need to use Gary's microwave. There's some spares if anybody needs one.
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

BeebMaster wrote:Got the clock chips, exact same part. They've arrived sealed in tin foil with instructions on the front saying they need to be baked before use. So I haven't opened them to inspect, hopefully they will be right. We might need to use Gary's microwave. There's some spares if anybody needs one.
Microwaves will not be good for ICs. :( A dry-heat oven will be best.
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

I'll be updating the games menu code for Dave H's Mega Games Cartridge and showing off the latest iteration of Tequila Worm which will feature graphics kindly provided by DethMunk.

I'd also be grateful for some help getting GEM to boot from SD card via matchbox co pro. This was working at Cambridge but hasn't booted since.. the GEM logo is corrupted at boot time and boot then hangs.
roland

Post by roland »

My plans are meeting you guys and have a wonderful time :lol: I'm really looking forward to the next weekend.
FPGAtom: 512 KB RAM, Real Time Clock and 64 colours
MAN WOMAN :shock:
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

jbnbeeb wrote:I'd also be grateful for some help getting GEM to boot from SD card via matchbox co pro. This was working at Cambridge but hasn't booted since.. the GEM logo is corrupted at boot time and boot then hangs.
I'll try to help...did I look at that at Wakefield?
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Prime, I'm really sorry, but I have run out of space. So I'm afraid I won't now be able to bring the motherboards. :(
Prime

Post by Prime »

lazarusr wrote:Prime, I'm really sorry, but I have run out of space. So I'm afraid I won't now be able to bring the motherboards. :(
No worries :)

Cheers.

Phill.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

lazarusr wrote:Prime, I'm really sorry, but I have run out of space. So I'm afraid I won't now be able to bring the motherboards. :(
We will, of course, inspect your packing techniques when you arrive - I don't suppose you've considered dumping your weekend bag? Tut! thought not [-X Priorities, my boy . . . :wink:

Dave H :lol:
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

daveejhitchins wrote:
We will, of course, inspect your packing techniques when you arrive - I don't suppose you've considered dumping your weekend bag? Tut! thought not [-X Priorities, my boy . . . :wink:

Dave H :lol:
I'l bring a tape measure then... :lol:

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”