Acorn machines in the movies / TV

on-topic acorn-related discussions not covered by the other forums
lurkio

Re: Acorn machines in the movies / TV

Post by lurkio »

tricky wrote:The Adventure Game often used one for the "contestants", here Johnny Ball and I don't know the other two.
Classic! Here's another nice use of the Beeb in The Adventure Game:
:idea:
beebdidi

Post by beebdidi »

2 days ago in a french TV talk show, the guest was Depeche Mode (for their new album). During the show, they mentionned that in 1987 they recorded an album in a french studio. Guess what was sitting on the desk???
BBC_B1.JPG
BBC_B2.JPG
BBC_B3.JPG
BBC_B4.JPG
The speaker then asked 'what was that !!!' and the guy from depeche mode clearly answered 'A BBC micro' !
Commie_User

Post by Commie_User »

I wasn't aware they had Beebs in French studios, unless the band brought theirs from home.

Kudos to the BBC being at home in any walk of life!
Commie_User

Post by Commie_User »

Archimedes machines on Panorama. BLAIR'S BRITAIN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP8ftY2JxjI
crj

Post by crj »

Wikipedia confirms that an Acorn System 1 was used as part of Slave in Blake's 7.

I've also heard that an Acorn System CPU board was the functioning part of Orac, the bit that actually made the lights blink. But I'm having trouble confirming that by squinting at photos.
dgrubb

Post by dgrubb »

Found one!

Doctor Who: Silver Nemesis (1988). Nazis hiding in South America use an Archimedes for calculating the return destination of a meteorite conveying a Time Lord super-weapon.
vlcsnap-2017-11-08-21h21m13s534.png
vlcsnap-2017-11-08-21h21m00s242.png
zeem

Post by zeem »

I remember an episode of 2point4 Children with a plot line involving some kind of Internet chat. The computer was an Archimedes A310 or A400 series, seemingly programmed in BASIC to produce weird on-screen effects along with the "Internet chat".
noggin

Post by noggin »

dgrubb wrote:Found one!

Doctor Who: Silver Nemesis (1988). Nazis hiding in South America use an Archimedes for calculating the return destination of a meteorite conveying a Time Lord super-weapon.

vlcsnap-2017-11-08-21h21m13s534.png

vlcsnap-2017-11-08-21h21m00s242.png
Believe it or not - that's my Archimedes monitor :)

I was paid for the day (my 16th Birthday!) to supervise the Archimedes and show the actors how to run the programme (I didn't write it - but I did modify it to make it easier to cue and recue (it just used the space bar to change from memory). It was a prime number calculation in Mode 7 followed by a routine loading a saved screen file in a different screen mode - created in Beebfont on a BBC Micro I think)

They didn't have a matching monitor - just an Archimedes with a Genlock board (to ensure it locked to the video cameras used to shoot the scene and avoid a shutter bar)

Why was I asked? Afraid I'm from a BBC family, and dad was an outside broadcast vision supervisor on that block of Doctor Who. As my parents were divorced, when dad had me I sometimes ended up on Outside Broadcasts...
tricky

Post by tricky »

Nice anecdote, hope you liked Dr who.
dgrubb

Post by dgrubb »

noggin wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:52 pm Believe it or not - that's my Archimedes monitor :)

I was paid for the day (my 16th Birthday!) to supervise the Archimedes and show the actors how to run the programme (I didn't write it - but I did modify it to make it easier to cue and recue (it just used the space bar to change from memory). It was a prime number calculation in Mode 7 followed by a routine loading a saved screen file in a different screen mode - created in Beebfont on a BBC Micro I think)

They didn't have a matching monitor - just an Archimedes with a Genlock board (to ensure it locked to the video cameras used to shoot the scene and avoid a shutter bar)

Why was I asked? Afraid I'm from a BBC family, and dad was an outside broadcast vision supervisor on that block of Doctor Who. As my parents were divorced, when dad had me I sometimes ended up on Outside Broadcasts...
That's a great anecdote. I always assumed the BBC had somebody technical on staff to handle this sort of thing.
noggin

Post by noggin »

dgrubb wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:55 pm
noggin wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:52 pm Believe it or not - that's my Archimedes monitor :)

That's a great anecdote. I always assumed the BBC had somebody technical on staff to handle this sort of thing.
They probably did on studio shows, but on outside broadcasts (which at that time Doctor Who was, rather than shooting on film on location) it was different. Plus it gave a 16 year old who had to go to work with his dad something to do.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

lurkio wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:47 pm
tricky wrote:The Adventure Game often used one for the "contestants", here Johnny Ball and I don't know the other two.
Classic! Here's another nice use of the Beeb in The Adventure Game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3FIUiPSHrQ&t=98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3FIUiPSHrQ&t=16m41s

Those videos have now been purged from YouTube, sadly.

I'm sure there are replacement vids online somewhere, but I thought I'd post some screenshots too:
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

A haunted Beeb made several appearances on Out Of This World (BBC TV, 1996):
Prime

Post by Prime »

dgrubb wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:00 pm I have a hazy recollection that a couple of Doctor Who stories in the 80s used a Beeb in the TARDIS console. I thought Logopolis and Attack of The Cybermen off the top of my head, but I don't think the dates for the former work out.
Just watched "Castrovalva" on blue ray this evening, and the orange screen monitor that Nyssa and Tegan are looking at definately seems to be using teletext mode, it may have been a beeb, but as it's original air date was Jan 1982, they'd have been recording during 1981**, so possibly a little early for a beeb. But I do think it was used in later seasons.....

**and it's not like the BBC wouldn't have had other equipment capable of generating teletext.

Cheers.

Phill.
sweh

Post by sweh »

Prime wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:36 pm Just watched "Castrovalva" on blue ray this evening, and the orange screen monitor that Nyssa and Tegan are looking at definately seems to be using teletext mode, it may have been a beeb, but as it's original air date was Jan 1982, they'd have been recording during 1981**, so possibly a little early for a beeb. But I do think it was used in later seasons.....
https://twitter.com/claytonhickman/stat ... 8353255425 thinks it might be an Atom that generated those screens, based on the "D" character not quite matching the Teletext one.
Rgds
Stephen
Prime

Post by Prime »

sweh wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:55 pm
Prime wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:36 pm Just watched "Castrovalva" on blue ray this evening, and the orange screen monitor that Nyssa and Tegan are looking at definately seems to be using teletext mode, it may have been a beeb, but as it's original air date was Jan 1982, they'd have been recording during 1981**, so possibly a little early for a beeb. But I do think it was used in later seasons.....
https://twitter.com/claytonhickman/stat ... 8353255425 thinks it might be an Atom that generated those screens, based on the "D" character not quite matching the Teletext one.
The problem with that being that the 6847 in the Atom was upper case only, and did text at 32x16, later on when Nyssa is reading about Hydrogen, there's a screenful of text of mixed case that's more like 40x25.

Could have been an Atom with a System type 40 col card, as the drivers for that where included in the DOS ROM.

Cheers,

Phill.
Alan00

Post by Alan00 »

Code of a killer.
A 2 part series about about using DNA to catch a killer.
If you look around the university and the police station you will see a fair few BBC's
Attachments
code2.png
code.png
*TAPE

Post by *TAPE »

Not so much 'on screen', more 'behind the screen'.....

Was working with a couple of ex-BBC staff over the weekend.....
Master Mind (TV quiz programme) score counter was generated by a model B with a built in genlock. (not sure what years)
As was the countdown clock for 'Grab a Grand' on Noels House Party.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

On the subject of Doctor Who, any idea what keyboard MattDoc is using here:

(Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon)

It's clearly a proper :) keyboard - 6,7,8,9 correctly have & ' ( ) and if you look closely you can see ;+ and :*

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
jamesfcarter

Post by jamesfcarter »

Here are a couple of appearances on an Archimedes in Howard's Way season 4, episodes 10 and 11.

atsampson

Post by atsampson »

**and it's not like the BBC wouldn't have had other equipment capable of generating teletext.
1970s Doctor Who makes frequent use of the BBC's ANCHOR character generator, but the earliest graphics that appear to be from a bitmap display are in "The Invasion of Time" (1978):
mpv-shot0001.jpg
"State of Decay" (1980) also uses Teletext (with some neat glitchy effects):
mpv-shot0007.jpg
I'm not sure if either of these are BBC, from "Arc of Infinity" and "Mawdryn Undead" (both 1983):
mpv-shot0002.jpg
mpv-shot0001.jpg
But "The Five Doctors" (1983) definitely looks that way:
mpv-shot0006.jpg
And we get our first *. - along with BASIC listings and other obviously-BBC graphics - in "Warriors of the Deep" (1984):
mpv-shot0007.jpg
The next few years feature a lot of BBC-generated displays, sometimes with a flash of the BBC BASIC source beforehand.

But a mystery: the program being listed at the start of "Warriors of the Deep" is an implementation of Brian Ford's SIMP text generator, and we see the output of it in "The Two Doctors" (1985). What version of BASIC would produce a "String too long @ 720" error like this?
mpv-shot0007.jpg
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

ON ERROR REPORT:PRINT " @ ";ERL

Code: Select all

$ bbcbasic
PDP11 BBC BASIC IV Version 0.45
(C) Copyright J.G.Harston 1989,2005-2024
>_
Diminished

Post by Diminished »

I definitely have my suspicions about the first of these 1980s Children's BBC idents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSgX4VVhdBI
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

atsampson wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:18 am

1970s Doctor Who makes frequent use of the BBC's ANCHOR character generator, but the earliest graphics that appear to be from a bitmap display are in "The Invasion of Time" (1978):
mpv-shot0001.jpg

"State of Decay" (1980) also uses Teletext (with some neat glitchy effects):
mpv-shot0007.jpg

I'm not sure if either of these are BBC, from "Arc of Infinity" and "Mawdryn Undead" (both 1983):
mpv-shot0002.jpgmpv-shot0001.jpg

But "The Five Doctors" (1983) definitely looks that way:
mpv-shot0006.jpg
I speculated about "Castrovalva" recently, as I watched it in September as part of my Dr Who 60th anniversary "firsts and lasts". It was recorded 15th-16th September and 29th September-1st October 1981 so probably just a little bit too early to have been an actual Beeb doing the TARDIS Index File.

"The Five Doctors" is the first story with the new TARDIS console, so probably they built that (maybe using some of the Australian money, who knows!) with one or more Beebs running the display screens. And of course the UNIT HQ intercom sound is the familiar Brrrrr..Beep!
DavidLowe

Post by DavidLowe »

Diminished wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:23 am I definitely have my suspicions about the first of these 1980s Children's BBC idents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSgX4VVhdBI
I’m sure I can remember (which may mean I’ve completely imagined!) that at some point in the 1980s, Blue Peter ran a competition for creating animated idents on a home computer, to be used between children’s BBC programmes, and that I can remember a period when some of the resulting animations were regularly broadcast.

I can find absolutely no trace of this online! Can anyone else remember this, or something similar that may be at the root of my vague memory?
Acorn Electron, Plus 1, Plus 3, AP6 v2, WiFi; BBC Master 128 (Retroclinic), Econet; A3000, 4 MB, RISC OS 3, Econet; A410/1 upgraded to 4 MB, RISC OS 3, Econet; RISC PC 600, Strong ARM, RISC OS 3.7, Econet; Raspberry PI RISC OS 5; Pi Econet Bridge
james

Post by james »

Diminished wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:23 am I definitely have my suspicions about the first of these 1980s Children's BBC idents.
I wrote to the BBC asking for a copy of some of the CBBC idents. They said “no”. And added (rather hazy recollection) that the code was such it wouldn’t be a useful teaching aid.
paulb

Post by paulb »

DavidLowe wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:02 pm I can find absolutely no trace of this online! Can anyone else remember this, or something similar that may be at the root of my vague memory?
They did run a competition and I remember trying to put together a very naive and thus hopeless entry on someone else's Beeb. Whether there are records of all this probably depends on whether, after the big Blue Peter competition scandal of the late 90s, they stopped the shredder or just let it chew through everything.
DavidLowe

Post by DavidLowe »

paulb wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:22 pm
They did run a competition and I remember trying to put together a very naive and thus hopeless entry on someone else's Beeb. Whether there are records of all this probably depends on whether, after the big Blue Peter competition scandal of the late 90s, they stopped the shredder or just let it chew through everything.
Thank you for confirming I’m not imagining this! According to Wikipedia, almost every episode of Blue Peter from 1964 is still there in the BBC archives (and I think the digitised archive is open to educational institutions), so it should be findable…
Acorn Electron, Plus 1, Plus 3, AP6 v2, WiFi; BBC Master 128 (Retroclinic), Econet; A3000, 4 MB, RISC OS 3, Econet; A410/1 upgraded to 4 MB, RISC OS 3, Econet; RISC PC 600, Strong ARM, RISC OS 3.7, Econet; Raspberry PI RISC OS 5; Pi Econet Bridge
BeebMaster

Post by BeebMaster »

Found another couple during tonight's pre-60th-anniversary viewing from "The Trial of a Time Lord" "Terror of the Vervoids" segment:

TARDIS mayday:
Who60ViewOctober2023-69.png
Monsters playing what looks like Zalaga:
Who60ViewOctober2023-90.png
morphenniel

Post by morphenniel »

If anyone's interested, I'm developing a list of all the times that the BBC Micro was used to provide graphics for Doctor Who, along with some notes on when it looks like the Beeb might have been used but it actually wasn't. Despite the vast amount of Doctor Who geekery out there, there doesn't ever seem to have been a list of this type made, and there are errors in some "official" documents like the production subtitles on the BBC's Blu-ray discs, which for example misidentify Zalaga (as mentioned above).

It's at

https://morphenniel.wordpress.com/2024/ ... octor-who/

It's not finished, and people out there, both Doctor Who and Acorn fans, may have extra things to add and people to credit. For example, was the program that provides big text in MODE 1/4 written in-house at the BBC or was it taken from somewhere else? Perhaps someone will recognise it.

Drop me a message if you have any comments!

Return to “general”