New Adventures?

development and releases of new/rewritten text adventures
Dethmunk

Re: New Adventures?

Post by Dethmunk »

Lol. No worries after what happened. I back up every session. One on a USB stick the other on my PC. They're all numbered so I can go back through them if necessary. :D
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

Well I'm into the second part of The Darkness of Raven Wood. First part seems robust and bug free, I hope?!? [-o< So using the code from Pt.1 I'm ripping out all the references/code to part one and making sure the data lines up with Pt.2 versions. It seems to generally be working, here's a couple of exclusive to Pt.2 screenshots showing it up and running. :D

Image Image

Right onwards to completion!!! \:D/
tricky

Post by tricky »

Looking great and well done for sticking with it =D>
leenew

Post by leenew »

**proof reading alert**
Change "There some stone steps" to "There are some stone steps" :D
Thanks,
I am sure we will find some more when we get to play first beta release :D

Lee.
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

Yeah spotted that already. I'm sure there are others. ;-) they'll get fixed as I go on. :-)
vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles »

What are you making the graphics with? :)
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

The graphics are created in Photoshop on PC and then I use image2BBC to convert them to a BBC Screen dump. I then have a small BASIC program that I wrote to load them in (as they are fullscreen dumps) and then save them out as half a screen so they're only 5k then. :-)
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

Successful playthrough from start to finish! Well chuffed. Just some polish work and tweaking and it should be ready to rock and roll... :D
Coming Soon.. I hope people like it. :D
FourthStone

Post by FourthStone »

Firstly hello, new member and long time lurker, I just had to post to find out whether you finished the game?

Have enjoyed this thread about your new adventure game, just wanting to find out if I can download and play it?
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

Not quite, but its virtually done. :) Final bits to tweak and she'll be ready.
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

Here's another taster.... maybe I'm hyping this too much. LOL :D I don't think its up there with Village of Lost Souls or anything. Looks good though. :wink: It's my first adventure, its my first finished BBC game tbh. Learnt a lot from it though. :)

Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

By the way, running it through Retroclinic's virtual disk drives is very fast too (accessing the data). On an emulator like Beebem it tends to emulate the disk access times which means it can be a bit slow (although you could up the emulation speed to counter that, I think). :wink:
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

I'm not much of an adventurer but am looking forward to it based on the screenshots. It looks very professionally presented =D>
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

Well thanks for saying so... I hope people like it. I just wanted to do something that showed the Beeb and Electron could and can do great looking games, on par with the other 8 bits out there. :wink:
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

My next adventure project once Raven Wood is out, is more ambitious ..... Note its not a remake....

fuzzel

Post by fuzzel »

Woah.....
FourthStone

Post by FourthStone »

Thanks for the update, hope we can play it soon :-)

Well done sticking with the project, I have so many half done idea's, it's always the last 10% of polish that takes 90% of the time.

Liking the new project too, always amazing to see what a good artist can do on old hardware.
vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles »

Dethmunk wrote:Here's another taster.... maybe I'm hyping this too much. LOL :D I don't think its up there with Village of Lost Souls or anything. Looks good though. :wink: It's my first adventure, its my first finished BBC game tbh. Learnt a lot from it though. :)

That looks bloody brilliant! You should release this game in a fancy box with a disk etc. I'd buy a copy! =D>
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

Vampeebles.... you mean like these.....

I did play with the idea. But I really don't want to mess about getting it all printed up and sourcing actual disks etc. I will do this one with a USB pen drive with all the versions on it. So there's a complete version of the game I can put on a shelf ;-)
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

FourthStone wrote:Thanks for the update, hope we can play it soon :-)

Well done sticking with the project, I have so many half done idea's, it's always the last 10% of polish that takes 90% of the time.

Liking the new project too, always amazing to see what a good artist can do on old hardware.
Thanks and your right its that last 5 - 10% thats seems to be the worst to get motivated to do. The project is done. I just need to do a final set of testing on platform I have a BBC Micro B and an Electron, once they test ok, I'll rap it up and put on the net for download. :-)
vanpeebles

Post by vanpeebles »

Gah that looks great! And a map too!
danielj

Post by danielj »

This looks properly amazing :) Excellent work!

d.
leenew

Post by leenew »

That's proper nice and that =D>

Lee.
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

Thanks guys... :wink:
SimonSideburns

Post by SimonSideburns »

I've seen your progress with the development of this game by following this thread and now you're really close to release I should say I'm really looking forward to playing with it.

Your graphics are great, the descriptions of the locations (that we've seen so far in the preview pictures) are looking good and even though I've never really had the staying power to complete an adventure before, I'm going to give this one a good go. It's quite funny but I consider myself a fairly logical person, but when it comes to adventure games I just move around a bit, figure out one or two things possibly, get stuck and then suddenly cannot get past a certain point and after a few tries give up.

It does seem that sometimes the solutions to some of the puzzles are tenuous at best, ridiculous at worst.

If this had been released in the 1980s I'm sure it would have been a bestseller. I've just noticed your spelling of fiery is wrong, and it could make it easier to read the sentences with a space after a full stop, but this is only a minor point. Maybe if you prefer to keep the text as it is adjust the font to move the full stop to the left of the character cell.

Makes me want to try my hand at programming something now, not that I've got much of an idea what sort of game to make though.
Just remember kids, Beeb spelled backwards is Beeb!
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

Thanks for the Feedback Simon. :) I'm sure they'll be some minor spelling mistakes slip through. The lack of a space after the fullstops was an attempt to save memory. Now though the descriptions are dragged off disc/file so I could do another pass and tweak/check the text one last time. :)

I'd like to think most of my puzzle stuff is not too obtuse. Although there are a few 'Magic' words to say in the game. I would say once released, check out the website, and examine everything in the game to discover them. Or if you get stuck ping me a message on here and I'll give you a clue or the direct answer if you want. :wink:

Been feeling a bit ill lately, so not done the final finishing touches, and now you've pointed out a spelling mistake I'll have to sort that, so its your fault its not finished now! LOL :D
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Dethmunk wrote:Vampeebles.... you mean like these.....

I did play with the idea. But I really don't want to mess about getting it all printed up and sourcing actual disks etc. I will do this one with a USB pen drive with all the versions on it. So there's a complete version of the game I can put on a shelf ;-)
Wow, these are awesome.

I have loads of empty dual cassette cases in good condition (like the one in your pic) which you'd be welcome to - these cases also house 3.5" floppy discs, which I have quite a lot of too (new/unused). More than happy to get a quantity of these to you too (50?) should you be up for doing a physical run?

Edit: could supply a ream of semi-glossy 220gsm digital printer paper too if of use? Maybe even 3.5" floppy disc labels (got some of those kicking around somewhere too).
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

Thanks for the offer Arcadian! :D Alas I have no physical Disk Drives to put these onto. Once released though, if someone wants to download and transfer them to disk they're totally free to do so. If indeed they work on physical disks (I can't test it obviously), I can't see why not though as they work on the virtual drives (Retroclinic Datacentre and GoSDC Electron). I could maybe printout the Dual Case artwork, instructions and Map on request, for the cost of materials/postage. I honestly don't really want to get distracted with production of this stuff as I'd like to move onto other projects :wink:
sydney

Post by sydney »

Dethmunk wrote:Thanks for the offer Arcadian! :D Alas I have no physical Disk Drives to put these onto. Once released though, if someone wants to download and transfer them to disk they're totally free to do so. If indeed they work on physical disks (I can't test it obviously), I can't see why not though as they work on the virtual drives (Retroclinic Datacentre and GoSDC Electron). I could maybe printout the Dual Case artwork, instructions and Map on request, for the cost of materials/postage. I honestly don't really want to get distracted with production of this stuff as I'd like to move onto other projects :wink:
Perhaps you could upload the artwork, instructions and map so people can print their own instead of bothering you?
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

Sidney good idea. I could totally do that. :-) If people want to create their own packaged version they could then. :-) I'll definitely consider that.

Return to “new projects and releases: text and graphic adventures”