Help required for the new BBC games archive

feedback, questions and discussion relating to www.bbcmicro.co.uk
leenew

Re: Help required for the new BBC games archive

Post by leenew »

Hi John,
Apart from the ones that are already on bbcmicro.co.uk, that Lurkio linked to above, I sent Mick Brown (that chap that makes all the discs that end up on bbcmicro.uk) the following: I am not sure what else is missing?
Anyone? :D

Lee.

**EDIT** Crossed posts with Lurkio!!
bakoulis

Post by bakoulis »

How is possible to download (wget?) the whole site http://bbcmicro.co.uk/ for offline gaming for my vacations at a mountain without WiFi?
[-o<
2xElectron, 3xBBC B, BBC Master.
2xAcorn A310, A420/1, 2xA3000, 2xA3010, A3020, A4000, A5000.
2xRISC PC, Acorn Pocket Book, Acorn Pocket Book II.
John_Acorn

Post by John_Acorn »

Megaapocalypse?
leenew

Post by leenew »

John_Acorn

Post by John_Acorn »

I couldn't find in the index :oops:
leenew

Post by leenew »

Probably because it is 2 words "Mega Apocalypse" and the search doesn't find "Megaapocalypse" as 1 word... :-k
Lee.
lurkio

Post by lurkio »

Just a reminder for anyone (called Lee) who's interested that there's another thread to check for reports of tweaks that need to be made to (the JSBeeb aspect of) bbcmicro.co.uk:
:idea:
pau1ie

Post by pau1ie »

bakoulis wrote:How is possible to download (wget?) the whole site http://bbcmicro.co.uk/ for offline gaming
The site is database driven, so not really possible as pages are generated. I suppose you are most interested in the disc images. I can see the value in allowing download of these and maybe generating a menu for the datacentre, and an MMB file (Though there are too many disc images, so some way of deciding which ones should go on it).

This is all stuff I will never get round to. The website source is on github. If you (Or anyone else) have the inclination to do something along these lines, I would be happy to incorporate the changes (So long as they don't risk taking the mickey with bandwidth etc). I didn't add the disc images to github as it looks difficult to remove them should it become necessary.

Regarding sizes it looks like there are around 2670 disc images. Most of these are 200K SSDs. This means about 521M. However, many of the SSDs are largely empty, so they compress nicely to about 35M. If a download option was to be offered it would seem zipping the files is the way to go, maybe a cron job to generate it once a day/week. As I say, I am not going to get round to this any time soon.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Just a note for Lee really ...

I can confirm that Guardian of Doomsday and Bridge to the East (which are currently listed as 'Awaiting Categorisation') were commercial releases, as I owned the original cassettes.
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
leenew

Post by leenew »

Updated :D
These games are still "Awaiting Categorisation" http://www.bbcmicro.co.uk/index.php?rt_W=on&search=

Lee.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Just noticed that a little bug has crept in - if you click either a publisher or a year, you get an SQL error:

Code: Select all

Error:
SQL: [342] select SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS g.*, sum(d.downloads) as dl, sum(d.gamepages) as gp from games g
 left join game_downloads d on g.id = d.id WHERE id in (select gameid from games_publishers gp where gp.pubid = :pubid)
 AND reltype in (select id from reltype where selected = 'Y')
 group by g.id order by dl desc, gp desc LIMIT :limit OFFSET :offset
Params:  3
Key: Name: [6] :pubid
paramno=-1
name=[6] ":pubid"
is_param=1
param_type=2
Key: Name: [6] :limit
paramno=-1
name=[6] ":limit"
is_param=1
param_type=1
Key: Name: [7] :offset
paramno=-1
name=[7] ":offset"
is_param=1
param_type=1
Array
(
    [0] => 23000
    [1] => 1052
    [2] => Column 'id' in IN/ALL/ANY subquery is ambiguous
)
pau1ie

Post by pau1ie »

Arcadian wrote:Just noticed that a little bug has crept in
Sorry, that always breaks. It is an old way of doing things, which is different to the way the rest of the website works. I need to update it to use the same search as everything else. I will have a look over the weekend.
pau1ie

Post by pau1ie »

Arcadian wrote:Just noticed that a little bug has crept in
OK I have fixed it so it uses the same code as everything else (You can see it does a search for you)q, so it works again now, and should be more robust in the future.
leenew

Post by leenew »

Excellent work Paul.
Quick question...
When you click on a game to get to the details page, how hard would it be to make more of the fields clickable? e.g. the author or the genre?
Lee.
tricky

Post by tricky »

I was wondering about having a "discuss" link from the game's page to a thread on stardot. To avoid adding thousands of threads, maybe it could create the thread if it doesn't already exist. It could use some of the thread details to create a forum friendly hierarchy.
pau1ie

Post by pau1ie »

leenew wrote:how hard would it be to make more of the fields clickable? e.g. the author or the genre?
I was thinking the same. It is doable. Actually Lurkio asked the same thing a couple of months ago when it was all getting a bit much for me, so I didn't do it then. I will look in to it.
tricky wrote:wondering about having a "discuss" link from the game's page to a thread on stardot.
I asked if this can be done with PHPBB. I might investigate if I get a chance.
pau1ie

Post by pau1ie »

leenew wrote:how hard would it be to make more of the fields clickable?
lurkio wrote:Can the items on the Details page for each game be made clickable?
Ok, that's done. Let me know if I have broken anything...
leenew

Post by leenew »

:shock:
I will have a good play in the morning!

Lee.
Pernod

Post by Pernod »

Here's a few release years that are currently 19XX:
198X Pop Quiz Master
1983 Business Games
1989 Soccer Boss
1983 Fairytale Adventure
1983 F for Freddie
1987 Bismarck
- Nigel

BBC Model B: ATPL Sidewise, Acorn Speech, 2xWatford Floppy Drives, AMX Mouse, Viglen case, BeebZIF, etc.
leenew

Post by leenew »

^^ Updated.
Thanks Nigel,

Lee.
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Ha! I'm not much of a gamer myself but have kept an admiring watching brief on this project and of course, the grandkids love it! 8)

Anyway, just on a random whim, this evening I typed my name into the search box and lo!, my one claim to fame (albeit a mere shadow of the bulk on offer) appeared! Yay! My life is complete and your work here is done gents - please take a big admiring pat on the back from me and mine.... =D> =D> =D> :D
sa_scott

Post by sa_scott »

MartinB wrote:Ha! I'm not much of a gamer myself but have kept an admiring watching brief on this project and of course, the grandkids love it! 8)

Anyway, just on a random whim, this evening I typed my name into the search box and lo!, my one claim to fame (albeit a mere shadow of the bulk on offer) appeared! Yay! My life is complete and your work here is done gents - please take a big admiring pat on the back from me and mine.... =D> =D> =D> :D
Wholeheartedly agree with this. Thanks Paul for adding search by author. I've been aware my two games have been on there for a while, but never stated how much I appreciate the work done on creating this site. Thank you!
--
Stephen Scott, Digital Media Muckerupper
Games: Androidz Redux, Headcase Hotel, Polymer Picker
www.sassquad.net
Pablos544

Post by Pablos544 »

MartinB wrote:Anyway, just on a random whim, this evening I typed my name into the search box and lo!, my one claim to fame (albeit a mere shadow of the bulk on offer) appeared! Yay! My life is complete and your work here is done gents - please take a big admiring pat on the back from me and mine.... =D> =D> =D> :D
It's good to know you're being appreciated buddy I even cannot think without many people on this forum I would be completely clueless, you Paul, KarateEd, DaveH, 1024MAK and of course leenew for introducing me in 2015 when I bought his disc drive on ebay =D> =D> =D>
pau1ie

Post by pau1ie »

MartinB wrote:my one claim to fame ... appeared!
Thanks for the appreciation. I am really proud of the search actually for this very reason.
Sooo... Which is your contribution? (One more than I made!)
MartinB

Post by MartinB »

Heh - it was just one of a few ditties that I submitted to TMU and one that they liked enough to publish so “Survive!”, a simple but fun Mode 7 Tron-type game written in hybrid BASIC and assembler.

Nothing compared to your efforts though Paul (plus Lee et al) and you certainly made my day - if one isn’t particularly internet savvy, it’s really nice to see such an archive where one can feel included albeit standing on the shoulders of giants.... =D> 8)
kenton

Post by kenton »

I can't believe I only discovered this tonight. This is an absolutely epic piece of work, people. Congratulations to all involved.
tricky

Post by tricky »

Its great to have you back and to see you at lat nights ABUG - I know it isn't called that, but I have forgotten the more inclusive name.
AJW

Post by AJW »

Well done for including 36 Challenging Games by Rogers et al. Who did the menu?
AJW

Post by AJW »

bakoulis wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:03 am How is possible to download (wget?) the whole site http://bbcmicro.co.uk/ for offline gaming for my vacations at a mountain without WiFi?
[-o<
This should probably be answered really as it's about backups.
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

AJW wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:39 pm This should probably be answered really
So should this - which you're obviously choosing to ignore.
AJW wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:39 pm as it's about backups.
So let me get this straight - you're effectively lecturing the maintainers of a preservation archive on the importance of "backups" yet when it comes to an extremely elusive title that the very same maintainers have been trying to locate for years, you go back on your original commitment to loan your own copy of the game for archival (as you can't be bothered going "back and forth with it") and choose to list it on eBay instead - at a lolprice - with complete disregard as to whether or not the game ever gets archived??

Edited by Arcadian 17/8: Since your return to the forum you have benefitted from lots of answers to questions provided by helpful/knowledgeable community members, but when presented with a golden opportunity to actually give something back, you disappoint (after stringing us along for a good while, of course).

At least we now have the Blade Dancer game archived and publicly available thanks to the good nature of other community members.

Return to “the complete BBC games archive”