ABug South - at Centre for Computing History, Cambridge August 26-28 2016

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
Prime

Re: ABug South - at Centre for Computing History, Cambridge August 26-28 2016

Post by Prime »

I'm quite happy to have a look at any Atoms / System machines that the centre has to see if I can get them repaired / going, it's actually one of the things I was planning on doing......

Other than that, anything anyone wants me to bring?

Cheers.

Phill.
dp11

Post by dp11 »

I'm thinking of popping along to meet people if you all don't mind. Which day would be better ?
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

dp11 wrote:I'm thinking of popping along to meet people if you all don't mind. Which day would be better ?
One of the "kitters" is Saturday only so suggest that Sunday would be better as we'll have a little more room.
JimRussell

Post by JimRussell »

Hi Jason, can you put me down for the restaurant too please.

I will be bringing a Master with Beebflex in a cheese wedge and Eurobeeb in a 19 inch rack. It takes a fair bit of space so I hope there will be enough desk space. I don't have an Atom but all the Control Universal stuff uses the same expansion bus as the Atom. Jim

For some reason I don't have permission to send emails so I can't reply to those sent to me can you fix it please.
Last edited by JimRussell on Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
flynnjs

Post by flynnjs »

Have CCH made any demands for electrical safety, testing etc?
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

flynnjs wrote:Have CCH made any demands for electrical safety, testing etc?
No.. Should I check? They seem to be quite easy going..
BigEd

Post by BigEd »

Oh dear - let's not ask for trouble! I'm sure my old telly and monitor are untested and are decades old. But what could possibly go wrong?
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Hi Jason,

Wim and I arrive at 21:05h in London so won't be in Cambridge before 22:00h. If it will be later, we will join you on Saterday, until what time will you be at the museum?

So we won't be there Friday afternoon.

Greetings
Kees
flynnjs

Post by flynnjs »

I'm just saying, back in the Spring, I did another event and we tested about 100 pieces of
kit ranging from brand new to "older than any Acorn kit" and we had two failures which
could have ended up being lethal and this was a shock for me (pun intended) and I am far
more cautious now.
If they've not mentioned it, I wouldn't ask but we should have plenty of multimeters on
hand and at minimum make sure everything is vaguely earthed, if not to protect people
then at leat to protect inter-connected kit ;-)

I think many older Acorn kit would fail due to uninsulated plug prongs in an official test
but that's a manageable risk. An unforseen live Cub case isn't!
dp11

Post by dp11 »

I can bring a Pat tester if people want.

I don't think uninsulated prongs are an issue for equipment made before the date that they where added to bs1363 .

Edit : Table v 111.1 in the COP say's - The regulation is not retrospective in that it does not apply to old plugs already in use, but such plugs should not be reused (ie not fitted to new cords) . the magic date is 1994
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

The most important thing with electrical safety is visual inspection of mains voltage plugs, connectors, cords (cables), cord grips, grommets and the case etc. Check to see if there is any damage to the insulation and check that the items continue to work as designed. Check for cracks in the case, and ensure that securing screws or clips are effective.

The next most important thing for class I equipment, is to ensure that the earthing of the case and any exposed metal parts is good. You can do a basic test with any good multimeter that has a low resistance range (200 ohms or lower). But a proper PAT tester will test using a high current to test the earthing system. This picks up poor connections.

These steps will pick up most problems.

You can also use a high voltage insulation tester. This tests at 250V DC, 500V DC or 1000V DC. It will pick up any electrical failure of the insulation. Most useful on class I equipment.

More on PAT here

Mark
dp11

Post by dp11 »

Totally agree about visual inspection. I fail more items by visual inspection than using the Pat tester. Often these days I fail equipment that other people pass because they have only used the tester and not done a visual inspection.
dp11

Post by dp11 »

A question that I often ask people who use a pat tester . You have a black fuse in a mains plug, what rating is it?
flynnjs

Post by flynnjs »

It could all sorts of values other than 3 or 13.
I have 1,2,10 which are all black in addition to the common 5.

One of the items I failed before my spring event the mains plug was cracked in two and the live pin wobbled around.
The other item had no working earth and a metal chassis.
dp11

Post by dp11 »

excellent too many people think all black fuses are 5amps.
1024MAK

Post by 1024MAK »

flynnjs wrote:It could all sorts of values other than 3 or 13.
I have 1,2,10 which are all black in addition to the common 5.
There are black 1 inch (25.4mm x 6.3mm) 1A fuses? The only 1A fuses (to a BS standard) that I have seen is the slightly smaller size (19.1mm x 5.3mm), as used in shaver adaptors, and maybe some of the the old clock connection units and industrial fuse holders...

Mark
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Prime wrote:I'm quite happy to have a look at any Atoms / System machines that the centre has to see if I can get them repaired / going, it's actually one of the things I was planning on doing......

Other than that, anything anyone wants me to bring?

Cheers.

Phill.
I've just spoken with Jason F from the Centre. Yes they have some poorly Atoms and some Atom econet bits by the sound of it. So they'd definitely be up for a bit of troubleshooting there.

He's also going to have a rummage around and get together "interesting" bits of Acorn kit for us (as to whether it's working or not, or what the kit is, I don't know, but I presume will be rarer kit)
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

oss003 wrote:Hi Jason,

Wim and I arrive at 21:05h in London so won't be in Cambridge before 22:00h. If it will be later, we will join you on Saterday, until what time will you be at the museum?

So we won't be there Friday afternoon.

Greetings
Kees
I'm not sure how late we'll be there. The Centre seem fairly relaxed about how late we stay. I'll PM you; I'm going to guess that there won't be many of us there after 10pm Friday.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

jbnbeeb wrote:Hi, I've added these requests to top post for me to pass on to the museum. Have I missed anything? Any more requests to add? I've mailed below to museum and will phone them tomorrow.

- Request to search the attic for "Missing in Action (MIA)" software titles for Acorn machines - and to archive and catalogue these items. Archiving meaning taking a dump of files on tape or disk for storing on the bbcmicro.co.uk website as well as cataloguing for the Centre.
- A request to take a number of software titles offsite (borrow) for archiving and return them by post by an acceptable time thereafter.
- A request to take a dump of a ROM in one of the Centre BBC Micros (an MIA version of Opus DOS)
- Several people have offered to catalogue items for the Centre
I've heard back now..The Centre are fine with all these requests except for taking items off site...
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

jbnbeeb wrote:I'm not sure how late we'll be there. The Centre seem fairly relaxed about how late we stay. I'll PM you; I'm going to guess that there won't be many of us there after 10pm Friday.
Looked at from the other end of the spectrum (pun intended), what is the earliest time the Centre will allow us to drop off kit? I am probably going to arrive in Cambridge around 2pm and would prefer to leave my kit at the Centre before checking in to my hotel.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Looked at from the other end of the spectrum (pun intended), what is the earliest time the Centre will allow us to drop off kit? I am probably going to arrive in Cambridge around 2pm and would prefer to leave my kit at the Centre before checking in to my hotel.
I'm planning to arrive at that time to help them clear the room they've allocated to us. I'm sure some of us dropping off kit before 4pm will be fine.
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

jbnbeeb wrote:I'm planning to arrive at that time to help them clear the room they've allocated to us. I'm sure some of us dropping off kit before 4pm will be fine.
Great thanks. Happy to help with the clearing too if an extra pair of hands would be useful.
There is so much wonder in the universe; why should you want to imagine that there is more?
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

** REQUEST FOR HELP WITH ARCHIVING**
Hi,
Lee has sent me a list of software to hunt down at Cambridge.

I think Jon is going to bring kit to archive - would this include a tape deck and cables..? Can anyone else bring down tape and disk archiving kit? I believe Jon will be with us for Saturday only.

Thanks,
Jason
Multiwizard

Post by Multiwizard »

Hi,

is there perhaps someone coming to the meeting this weekend and fancy a Issue 5 Atom board? :D

I am looking for a good working atom Issue 4 PCB with also a good/neat and complete working key-caps... [-o<

So if anyone is willing to trade his Issue 4 board with one of my Issue 5 boards I will bring one with me... :D

It comes without the semiconductors/IC's, this because of the customs of the airports...

Greetings, Wim... :-)

Thanks in advance...
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Multiwizard wrote:It comes without the semiconductors/IC's, this because of the customs of the airports...
:shock: I've got to ask WHY? :shock:

Dave H :D

p.s. Sorry, everyone . . . B*%%#y leg's still giving me problems so I'm giving my place over to someone else. Next year! Lots of photos and comments, please [-o<
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
JudgeBeeb

Post by JudgeBeeb »

Really sorry to hear that. :(
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

In addition to the "bring tape/disk archiving kit" request upthread - is anyone able to bring an EPROM blower + blank EPROMs ? I'd like some MMFS EPROMs to go on my ABR in a bid to get my Master with modem port/6522 , to boot Dos plus via matchbox co pro

thanks,
Jason
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Prime wrote:Other than that, anything anyone wants me to bring?
Phill,

are you planning to bring a cassetteplayer with you, if not are you willing to take one with you so I can have a look at the Atom tape archive?
It would be perfect if the output of the cassette player is a jackplug so that I can record the tape with the soundcard in my laptop.

Thanks.

Greetings
Kees
leenew

Post by leenew »

^^ I Think this may be a better idea than trying to "crack" the tapes on site.
If we could record all the MIA tapes into digital format then crack them at our leisure, that makes more sense.
Lee.
Prime

Post by Prime »

oss003 wrote:
Prime wrote:Other than that, anything anyone wants me to bring?
Phill,

are you planning to bring a cassetteplayer with you, if not are you willing to take one with you so I can have a look at the Atom tape archive?
It would be perfect if the output of the cassette player is a jackplug so that I can record the tape with the soundcard in my laptop.
Will pack one of my Tandy/Radio Shack recorders, used with a whole load of vintage computers. I believe it has been used with the Atom in the past.

Cheers.

Phill.

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”