New releases not mentioned in Retrogamer?

suggest games that you’ve always wanted to see on acorn platforms
fwibbler

New releases not mentioned in Retrogamer?

Post by fwibbler »

Evening all,
I know the BBC doesn't get as many new games realeased as say the ZX Spectrum, but I'm sure we've had a fair few in the last year or so and I'm also sure that they haven't all been covered in RetroGamer magazine.

Does anyone keep track of those that have and haven't been covered?

Perhaps we should then mention those that haven't (one a month or so)
Any thoughts?
Cheers!
tricky

Re: New releases not mentioned in Retrogamer?

Post by tricky »

My Carnival and AstroBlaster aren't official RS releases, I think Dave was waiting for a few more to make a compilation disk, but I am happy for them to be released, subject to not getting sued for copyright infringement [-o<

Frogger will hopefully be ready soon, but runs a higher risk of getting killed because it is still sold :cry:

Circus and RipCord could do with a bit of polish, but are technically complete as they are emulators and run the original game ROMs, so are noteworthy in that they are probably the only arcade game emulators written for the beeb. The ROMs were made available by Exidy, but I had no luck contacting them to get formal permission to distribute them with my emulators.

Although Sprint works, the controls aren't good enough to release yet and the ROMs aren't freely available, but someone else wrote a binary converter to javascript and has that on their website http://members.aon.at/nkehrer/sprint_js.html.

I did contact RetroGamer years ago about Jeltron, which we (Gil and I) never finished, but thought might get a mention if they ever did a "games we would like to have seen finished" column.

EDIT: I guess they could still get a mention, even if they can't get released due to copyright - maybe?
MatthewThompson

Post by MatthewThompson »

I can't remember all of them, but from memory Zap and Krystal Connection and Mountain Panic definitely featured, I can't remember if Repton The Lost Realms got a review or not, it's been mentioned in there in a Repton article.

Pretty sure Jbiplane got a mention and some of the other ones have too, is anybody actually emailing the homebrew section and telling them about the releases?

I was surprised that iRepton never got a review though, thought that would at least.
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

Frogger looks v.cool. Maybe not call it 'Frogger' tho and then change some of the traditional colours and I think you'll be ok. :wink:

Name Suggestion...
Spawny
Toad Road
Tarmac Terror
Pond Life
Lilly Padz
Road n River
:)

You can have any of those... :D
MatthewThompson

Talking of Retro Gamer, I have binned my subscription now, there's only so many Mario, Sega, Nintendo and beat-em-up game articles I need to read. 8 bit coverage is dropping and way too much X Box, Gamecube stuff now. BBC has got no chance !
oss003

Post by oss003 »

Hi Tricky,
tricky wrote:Circus and RipCord could do with a bit of polish, but are technically complete as they are emulators and run the original game ROMs, so are noteworthy in that they are probably the only arcade game emulators written for the beeb. The ROMs were made available by Exidy, but I had no luck contacting them to get formal permission to distribute them with my emulators.
Have a look at this article about Circus, it says that H.R. Kaufmann, president of Xidy, made the Circus roms available for free, non-commercial use: http://mamedev.org/roms/circus/ so I guess it's not a problem to publish Circus.

Greetings
Kees
tricky

Post by tricky »

That's why Circus and RipCord .SSDs are in their threads, but I thought it would still be polite to ask ;)
Dethmunk

Post by Dethmunk »

MatthewThompson wrote:Talking of Retro Gamer, I have binned my subscription now, there's only so many Mario, Sega, Nintendo and beat-em-up game articles I need to read. 8 bit coverage is dropping and way too much X Box, Gamecube stuff now. BBC has got no chance !
Yeah I think a lot of these Retro publications should try to feature more of the 'new' retro software being developed on these old platforms. There's tons out there in development. Maybe that would get more people engaged in Retro Game development too. Admittedly it would be ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64 heavy in that case but other platforms would sneak in like Amstrad, BBC, Electron, Atom, Dragon even Oric etc.
Some have remakes of games from other platforms, there could be comparison features of the original game and the remakes or the ports etc. :D

You might have to live with the odd Xbox feature etc. but that pulls in da monies doesn't it. :wink:
MatthewThompson

Got my last issue of Retro Game today and there is a good article on Hyper Sports - with a bit of a mention for the BBC Micro, a seperate box out with a small interview with the author, also an article on Fire & Ice (which was available on the Archimedes) and as ever more articles on Nintendo and the obligitory guide to a beat-em-up !

Return to “new ideas wishlist & general chat”