ABug North 10/11/12 June 2016, Halifax

threads for previous physical ABug events held in the UK
Arcadian
Site Admin

Re: ABug North 11/12 June 2016, Halifax

Post by Arcadian »

JonC and I will be heading to the local Pizza Hut on the Saturday evening.

Any other curry-haters are welcome to join us! ;)
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

Arcadian wrote:JonC and I will be heading to the local Pizza Hut on the Saturday evening.

Any other curry-haters are welcome to join us! ;)
Arn't they doing Curry Topping yet? If not . . . Missed opertunaty :lol:

Dave H :D
Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
hoglet

Post by hoglet »

Hi Guys,

The £35 per night non-refundable saver deal rooms now seem to be available at the Premier Inn.

Dave
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

I'm only seeing the £35 for the Friday night :D . . . £75 for the Saturday night :? Still, cheaper than 2 x £65 - £107 vs £130

Available: ARA II : ARA III-JR/PR : ABR : AP5 : AP6 : ABE : ATI : MGC : Plus 1 Support ROM : Plus 3 2nd DA : Prime's Plus 3 ROM/RAM : Pegasus 400 : Prime's MRB : ARCIN32 : Cross-32
hiddenevil

Post by hiddenevil »

Hey there

Count me in! I've been so busy, I've not touched my beeb in a while :-(
IanS

Post by IanS »

daveejhitchins wrote:I'm only seeing the £35 for the Friday night :D . . . £75 for the Saturday night :? Still, cheaper than 2 x £65 - £107 vs £130

Did anyone get the cheap deal?, the cheap friday now seems to have gone. Looks like £57(fri) + £72(sat) at the moment.

Anyone spoken to the hotel, any cheap deals for users of the meeting/conference room?
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

IanS wrote:
daveejhitchins wrote:I'm only seeing the £35 for the Friday night :D . . . £75 for the Saturday night :? Still, cheaper than 2 x £65 - £107 vs £130

Did anyone get the cheap deal?, the cheap friday now seems to have gone. Looks like £57(fri) + £72(sat) at the moment.
I took a chance that the price wouldn't go down again . . . so booked just after I'd posted the above price.

hoglet

Post by hoglet »

IanS wrote: Did anyone get the cheap deal?, the cheap friday now seems to have gone. Looks like £57(fri) + £72(sat) at the moment.
I did actually manage to get the saver rate (£35) for both nights.

This all seems a bit random.... I guess it's the airline seat pricing model.

Premier Inn Halifax Town Centre (1.5 miles away) does have saver rooms for £35 + £45.

Dave
sydney

Post by sydney »

The cheap rooms certainly seem to have gone. :(
£81 is a bit steep for me so I've booked at a B&B round the corner called Kirk Lea Guest House for £36. There is one, The Old Post Office, about 1.8 miles away at only £25!
sixxdog_uk

Post by sixxdog_uk »

TENTATIVE moving quickly towards CONFIRMED

99% sure (Subject to wife's approval) :?

Would arrive Friday afternoon and leave Sunday afternoon.

A curry with fellow tech heads - perfect count me in.

Alex :-)
sixxdog_uk

Post by sixxdog_uk »

:mrgreen: =D>

Ok I'm 100% in :-)

Just got green light from 'mission control'

Be good to put faces to names.

Alex :-)
sydney

Post by sydney »

Hi all.
I won't be there on the Friday so someone is going to have to be the 'ABug representative' and take responsibilty for the room. I'd have asked DaveM but he may not be there on the Friday.
All you'd have to do is see the member of staff at the desk and they'll probably ask you to sign something and get people to sign a sheet for fire saftey etc. I can't really remember as it's been so long since we were last here!
It's available from 6pm to 10pm but as we know they generally don't mind us going on untill the wee hours (though this is not guaranteed) as we have the room all weekend. If they have nothing on in the afternoon they might even let you in early!
So, anyone in the Friday gang want to do this?

Also can everyone make sure that all equipment has had the caps replaced befure use. I wasn't there when the magic smoke escaped from hiddenevils master but I'd like to try to make sure it doesn't happen again.
daveejhitchins

Post by daveejhitchins »

I aim to get there early, so I can handle this for you.

Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Incidentally I should be there on the Friday now (I've got a hotel room booked at least, both nights).
Please subscribe to the ABug YouTube channel!
sixxdog_uk

Post by sixxdog_uk »

I'm in Simon - just sent you the payment.

Curry or Pizza now that's the big one. ? :-k :-k

Alex
sydney

Post by sydney »

daveejhitchins wrote:I aim to get there early, so I can handle this for you.

Thanks Dave.
sixxdog_uk

Post by sixxdog_uk »

Hi Guys ,

Being my first Abug meeting , i'm all green and full of daft questions :P

If i wanted to bring some of my collection , for setting up and general messing about would there be plenty of power hook ups , and extension leads available? or do people in general bring their own power requirements?

Would i need to 'Book' and pay for a table as such or should there be plenty on the day?

Is there an opportunity at these meet to perform hardware mods , fixes and general tinkering?

Looking forward to it. :)

Room booked for two nights.

Hopefully this is the correct place or I'm going to have a party for 1. :P
Halifax South
Salterhebble Hill, Huddersfield Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX3 0QT

See you all there.

Alex (Sixxdog_UK)
sydney

Post by sydney »

sixxdog_uk wrote:If i wanted to bring some of my collection , for setting up and general messing about would there be plenty of power hook ups , and extension leads available? or do people in general bring their own power requirements?
Plenty of sockets but you will need your own 4-way (or more!) adapter. Do bring some of your collection, though I'd recommend not bringing too much. I usually bring both my beeb and master along with my soldering iron, tool box and a couple of tv's. Others bring beebs, elks, arcs, tools, soldering statons, scopes. Everyone needs tv's or monitors too.
Would i need to 'Book' and pay for a table as such or should there be plenty on the day?
No payment or booking, that's what the £15 you've already paid is for. There are generally enough tables available for 20 or so people to have their kit set up with a bit of sharing. We should have more tables this year as the ABug fund paid for some folding tables which were previously used at the Bolton meets.
Is there an opportunity at these meet to perform hardware mods , fixes and general tinkering?
Yes, yes and yes! This is one of the main activities at the meetups. I've build mmc setups, repaired a rom board, fixed a keyboard, recapped numerous psu and tested a load of floppy drives. Daniel built an econet card for a Risc PC (I think) from a master econet adapter. Jason worked on the matchbox copro. This is only scratching the surface.

Hopefully this is the correct place or I'm going to have a party for 1. :P
Halifax South
Salterhebble Hill, Huddersfield Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX3 0QT
Thats the place! Apologies if I didn't pm you the details.

To get a flavour of what goes on I'd recommend reading the last page or two of the threads about the previous ABug meets which cane be found here: http://www.stardot.org.uk/forums/viewforum.php?f=26
richardtoohey

Post by richardtoohey »

Room booked; look forward to seeing you all in June. :D

Not sure how useful I'll be but I can make cups of tea and take photos (maybe even with people in!) Sure there will be something.
danielj

Post by danielj »

Great stuff, Richard :D
sydney

Post by sydney »

Great news. Still a way off :( .
Wakefield in 2 weeks though! :D
flaxcottage

Post by flaxcottage »

richardtoohey wrote:Not sure how useful I'll be but I can make cups of tea and take photos (maybe even with people in!) Sure there will be something.
Sounds just like the Beebmaster! :lol:
- John

Check out the Educational Software Archive at www.flaxcottage.com
sPhilMainwaring

Post by sPhilMainwaring »

I'll be there Friday onwards for Curry bringing your cable and ROM thingy
sydney

Post by sydney »

Hi guys.
I really enjoyed Wakefield last week but it's time for the real deal in Haliax soon. Only 7 weeks to go!
  • As I mentioned in the top post I don't want to be chasing people for the money at the last minute so please could you paypal me the £15 by the 1/5/16. If it's a problem let me know so I at least know that a payment will be coming at some point.
  • Could people who have not yet stated a preference of cury or pizza on the Saturday night please do so. I'm going to contact the restaurant soon to book the table.
  • If anyone else is interested in attending please let me know as soon as possible. There are 4 places left and if they are not taken by members of stardot I'm going to offer them over in the Facebook group.
sixxdog_uk

Post by sixxdog_uk »

I'd happily take a second table , if they don't all go.
My soldering is sooooo bad i'd want a table with none of my collection on it to get covered in solder blood sweat beer......

Joking aside extra space is always nice.

Let me know.

Alex

sydney wrote:Hi guys.
I really enjoyed Wakefield last week but it's time for the real deal in Haliax soon. Only 7 weeks to go!
  • As I mentioned in the top post I don't want to be chasing people for the money at the last minute so please could you paypal me the £15 by the 1/5/16. If it's a problem let me know so I at least know that a payment will be coming at some point.
  • Could people who have not yet stated a preference of cury or pizza on the Saturday night please do so. I'm going to contact the restaurant soon to book the table.
  • If anyone else is interested in attending please let me know as soon as possible. There are 4 places left and if they are not taken by members of stardot I'm going to offer them over in the Facebook group.
Last edited by sixxdog_uk on Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sixxdog_uk

Post by sixxdog_uk »

sixxdog_uk wrote:I'd happily take a second table , if they don't all go.
My soldering is sooooo bad i'd want a table with none of my collection on it to get covered in solder blood sweat beer......

Joking aside extra space is always nice.

Let me know.

Alex

sydney wrote:Hi guys.
jbnbeeb

Post by jbnbeeb »

Hey Simon - Add me to the list for friday-sunday please! [pls to let me know payment details]
sorvad

Re: ABug North 10/11/12 June 2016, Halifax

Post by sorvad »

Put me on the tentative for now, will have to check what else may be around that weekend
broadcaststorm

Post by broadcaststorm »

All, as mentioned on Facebook, please count me in!

Cheers
Dan Jones
sydney

Post by sydney »

broadcaststorm wrote:All, as mentioned on Facebook, please count me in!

Cheers
Dan Jones
You are on the list. I'll pm you soon with more details.

Return to “past physical ABug events (UK)”