Thrust Disassembly

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

lurkio

Re: Thrust Disassembly

Post by lurkio »

tricky wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:56 pm The mega drive joyous game pad adapters that I make have a switch to map a second button to the second fire or have one fire for each controller.
Ah, yes. I don’t have one of your adapters, but they sound like they might be perfect for a game like Thrust, which really needs at least one extra button, ideally. (At a pinch, though, Down could be mapped to thrust, if you didn’t have such an adapter. It would then be an “interesting” challenge to see if Thrust was actually playable with such a weird set of controls!)

The joystick adapter I currently use only has one input socket, for an Atari-style plug — and one output, which plugs into the Beeb’s analogue port. It only enables one fire button.

:idea:
sydney

Post by sydney »

Pretty sure the C64 version used a joystick for movement and fire plus the space-bar for the shield.
lovebug

Post by lovebug »

To me Thrust has always stood out as something special and to see the inner workings is great

Thank you for the effort on the disassembly =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Image Image Image Image
tricky

Post by tricky »

I think that there were quite a few c64 games that used joystick+space.
In my games, I make keyboard active all the time and then enable joystick on first fire button press.
I started doing this as I take my beebs and games to several shows and it was easier than keep restarting the game when a new person day down, but I think it makes sense for any game :)
tnash

Post by tnash »

Just one of those "woke up from a dream" silly ideas. But wouldn't it be fun to combine the lovely 2D maneuverability of Thrust with the trading, strategy and scope of Elite? Maybe the Beeb isn't the right machine for it (and I certainly don't have the coding chops, I struggle enough with much simpler projects)

I am vaguely aware of modern games like Endless Sky, Stardust Origins and Galaxy Genome that come somewhere close. But I've never seen anything that plays as close homage to both games as I would want, including going down into the planet in
Thrust style, or that nail the aesthetic.

So... anyone for a quick game of Thrulite ?

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”