Repton 2 - Acorn

if a game from either archive (bbc or electron) isn't working properly, please document it here
Repton 2 - Acorn

Repton 2

Post by Repton 2 - Acorn »

I saw these particular problems on the tape version for the Acorn Electron. It was this monster count problem where is starts to show symbols when it gets down to a count of 8 or 9 that stopped me completing the game on the orginal machine.<br>
<br>
I have since completed Repton 2 using the uef file for the Acorn Electron found here on this site (admittedly it did take several save states to achieve this). I must admit the end screen that you had to photograph for the competition was a bit of an anti-climax after waiting nearly 20 years to complete the game!<br>
<br>
The feature where the screens reset when revisited is I think to do with memory. The limited memory of the time stopped the game remembering what had already been done on the screens where they were visited more than once. The count of the various items earth, diamonds etc does not require you to revisit these areas in order to get the count of each down to 0. These levels were designed in such a way to stop the sections being re-visited any way as stragetically placed boulders prevented access.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps. Try the .uef file for the Electron and see how you go (it worked for me).<br>
<br>
Steve

<p></p><i></i>
andykempson

Repton2

Post by andykempson »

How do you save your play position in Repton2? I always thought this impossible

<p></p><i></i>
B0lly

Repton 2 Save States

Post by B0lly »

I used the ElectrEm emulator (v0.9b) to save states. This basically freezes the exact state of the machine into a .uef file and allows you to restore the machine to that exact state . This is particularly handy to use just before sections of the game where there is a high chance of getting it wrong. It saves having to go through the whole game again.<br>
<br>
It is actually part of one of the menus for ElectrEm and is not part of the Repton 2 game. If you're playing this on an original BBC Micro or Electron then I'm afraid as you say there is no save state available.<br>
<br>
If using the ElectrEm emulator then under the File Menu there is a Save State tab, this grabs the current memory content in the emulator and saves into the .uef filename you supply. This can then be re-loaded if necessary by clicking on the file in the top half of that menu screen.<br>
<br>
I actually find this facility quite useful for designing Repton 3 screens. This is quite a time consuming process to develop 8 screens (sometimes with character sets) so often want to save state when I finish a session so that I can re-visit it.<br>
<br>
Hope this helps.

<p></p><i></i>
andykempson

Repton2

Post by andykempson »

It makes you wonder if anyone did actually complete the original game and with the t-shirt all those years ago. I have never come across such a difficult game to complete as Repton2. You can keep yer X-box fancy graphics crap, nothing beats Repton for a combination of skill and intellectual challenge.<br>
<br>
I only have the BeebEm emulator at the moment. Will have to search around for the Electr whatsit. Incidentally, I can only get Repton and Repton2 to work on the BeebEm, using the *RUN command. It doesn't work with Repton3, and if you try to use shift f12 for a !BOOT load, the emulator window closes.

<p></p><i></i>
andykempson

Repton 2 - correction

Post by andykempson »

<sigh> I meant "win" the t-shirt

<p></p><i></i>
AJH

BBC Repton2 uef fix

Post by AJH »

I have inserted the missing diamond into a uef file of BBC Micro Repton2 <br>
(I havent had time to complete the game, but the diamond is there).<br>
I have submitted the file to TSTH, but have no web space to upload it myself.<br>
Arcite's Hotmail address has gone missing, so if anybody wants a copy to 'test'<br>
before it appears on TSTH, leave a message on this board.

<p></p><i></i>
Arcadian
Site Admin

Re: BBC Repton2 uef fix

Post by Arcadian »

If you want to try out Andrew's fixed version, it's here:<br>
<br>
<!--EZCODE AUTOLINK START--><a href="http://www.stairwaytohell.com/temporary ... <!--EZCODE AUTOLINK END--><br>
<br>
Here's a copy of an email that Andrew sent me in Nov 2002, which explains the differences between the versions on this site.<br>
<br>
<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr><br>
<br>
I downloaded various Repton2 images from your site and have the<br>
following to report:<br>
<br>
1. REPTON2.ZIP This has the missing diamond in screen G<br>
<br>
2. REPTON2-Alt.ZIP (and REPTON2-ALT2.zip)<br>
These have the diamond MISSING, but have other<br>
map changes including more earth and diamonds<br>
on several screens (also walls moved).<br>
There is no explanation of who made the changes,<br>
or why!<br>
<br>
3. REPTON2_B.ZIP (UEF tape image)<br>
This has the diamond MISSING, and I am presuming<br>
is the same as my version (as my original was on tape)<br>
and therefore unsolvable (although I havent tested <br>
this!).<br>
<br>
4. REPTON2-SCRR_B.ZIP (UEF tape image)<br>
This has the diamond in place, and presumably is <br>
solvable.<br>
<br>
<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END--><br>
<br>
I'd prefer not to replace the archived version with an [unofficial] modified version, though. <br>
<br>
Perhaps I should just rename it to Repton2-BUGGED_B.uef. And we can re-direct users to the disk image (or Superior Collection Tape Image) instead?

<p></p><i></i>
andykempson

Repton 2 - Disk image version completed

Post by andykempson »

I have finally (after 20 years) completed Repton2.<br>
<br>
I will however admit that I used a "cheat it again Joe" cheat to do so. Frankly, it took me 3 attempts to finish the game even with invulnerability, so how anyone could ever do it properly is beyond me.<br>
<br>
The version I used was the straight download of the disk image from stairway to hell.

<p></p><i></i>

Return to “problems”