Superior Software

reminisce about classic bbc micro and acorn electron games here
Related forum: adventures

Lorfarius

Superior Software

Post by Lorfarius »

Has anyone managed to buy any new BBC titles from Superior lately?

Ive been in touch with a guy from the company who says they have just about everything available from old stock but when it comes to getting prices and actual games it goes all quiet :( Anyone had any luck?
The North's answer to the Retro Scene:

www.retronorth.co.uk

Tickets Sold out
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

Richard Hanson [richard@superiorinteractive.com] at Superior Interactive is a good cheese, and I've always had a decent response. If you've already tried him, perhaps he's just away from email atm ... ?

Sam.
Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius »

samwise wrote:Richard Hanson [richard@superiorinteractive.com] at Superior Interactive is a good cheese, and I've always had a decent response. If you've already tried him, perhaps he's just away from email atm ... ?

Sam.
He was the first fella I tried. He gave me an email address for someone else who deals with all the Superior software but in 2 weeks of communications all Ive been able to find out is that they have a 2 for 3 offer on the Play It Again Sam Compilations with a promise that the info will be sent. I dont even know whats on them so I cant even pick. Very strange :(

www.retronorth.co.uk

Tickets Sold out
Moist_Mog

Post by Moist_Mog »

I've got a complete list (I think) of what's on which PIAS which I can put up if you get stuck... lemme know :)
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

You can confirm what's on most of the PIAS compilations here:

http://www.stairwaytohell.com/games/superior.html

Have you tried going back to Richard? He might be able to push stuff along ...

Sam.
Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius »

Sssooo many good titles :D If only I could find out the prices :(

Ill check with Richard again but I think he will just point me back to the same person :(

www.retronorth.co.uk

Tickets Sold out
Elk Towers

Post by Elk Towers »

Its his brother Steve that handles all the 8bit stuff as Richard is into making the pc versions
retro_junkie

Post by retro_junkie »

Lorfarius wrote:...they have a 2 for 3 offer on the Play It Again Sam Compilations...
Assuming that's 3 for 2, does that mean at original prices so 3 titles on tape for £20? That's still a bit steep - they aren't THAT rare. Someone had a few 'new' titles on ebay for 1p (Ricochet, Last Ninja 2, Pipeline etc).

If it wasn't a typo and it's actually 2 PIASs for £3, I'd be much more interested!
Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius »

retro_junkie wrote:
Lorfarius wrote:...they have a 2 for 3 offer on the Play It Again Sam Compilations...
Assuming that's 3 for 2, does that mean at original prices so 3 titles on tape for £20? That's still a bit steep - they aren't THAT rare. Someone had a few 'new' titles on ebay for 1p (Ricochet, Last Ninja 2, Pipeline etc).

If it wasn't a typo and it's actually 2 PIASs for £3, I'd be much more interested!
Thats the thing he's very evasive when it comes to answering questions. At one point I was asking for a list of any disc games he had available. 1 week and several emails later and the best I could get was a "ill get back to you". Have asked for prices a couple of times but never had a response :(

www.retronorth.co.uk

Tickets Sold out
Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius »

Couple of Superior games going on Ebay at the moment. Both BBC Micro diskettes, Citadel and Barbarian. Please tell me these are Master compatible :lol:

www.retronorth.co.uk

Tickets Sold out
sorvad

Post by sorvad »

Try running the games (they'll be on this site) in the BeebEm emulator (first setting it to emulate a Master 128).

If they work you should be OK, for example the basic copy of Elite stored here gives the same error as you get in BeebEM.
Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius »

I recently purchased 10 blank discs off ebay. Just arrived today loaded with games and programs! :D One of which is Grannys Garden!

www.retronorth.co.uk

Tickets Sold out
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

Lorfarius wrote:Thats the thing he's very evasive when it comes to answering questions. At one point I was asking for a list of any disc games he had available. 1 week and several emails later and the best I could get was a "ill get back to you". Have asked for prices a couple of times but never had a response :(
Maybe he's just not that into the retro stuff - obviously, there's not much money in it so he's probably just selling off old stock as and when he can be bothered.

Perhaps someone should offer to set him up a quick, simple one-page website possibly using Google Page Creator that displays the catalogue, pricing and shipping info that they can point their superiorsotware.co.uk domain at.

Maybe he'd be more motivated to collate the necessary information then?

Sam.
Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius »

Just had a reply (after 2 weeks!) and the games are all £14.95 each. Pretty expensive.

www.retronorth.co.uk

Tickets Sold out
Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius »

Make of this what you will but as soon as I asked where to send the money to I had a reply in 5 minutes!

www.retronorth.co.uk

Tickets Sold out
Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius »

So I took the plunge and purchased a couple of titles. They all arrived this morning and are brand spanking new. However enclosed with the games was a printed leaflet listing everything they have for sale in Acorn and BBC titles. Quite why he didnt offer to send this when I asked from the start :shock:

www.retronorth.co.uk

Tickets Sold out
retro_junkie

Post by retro_junkie »

Any chance of a scan (or typed if you can be bothered!)... not that I think I would bother with anything at full price though!
Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius »

retro_junkie wrote:Any chance of a scan (or typed if you can be bothered!)... not that I think I would bother with anything at full price though!
Ill see what I can do :D

But everything is £14.95 bar a few PIAS titles at £11.95. However the games are brand new so Im sure you could easily make back what you paid on Ebay if you ever decide to sell.

www.retronorth.co.uk

Tickets Sold out
Arcadian
Site Admin

Post by Arcadian »

Hmm ... I wonder if you can still get 60% off by mentioning Crispin Boylan's BBC Games website?! ;)
Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius »

Scans of the Acorn Electron and BBC price lists. The crossed out items are no longer in stock:

www.retronorth.co.uk

Tickets Sold out
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

My word!... £20 for a 3.5" of Beeb games :shock: I wonder how many they actually sell at those prices!

BTW, are these fully boxed/packaged retail versions (Elite, Exile, Repton etc..)? A brand new boxed Elite or Exile may be worth it... but the price for the rest is, IMO, way over the top.
retro_junkie

Post by retro_junkie »

Lorfarius wrote:...the games are brand new so Im sure you could easily make back what you paid on Ebay if you ever decide to sell.
I doubt it - like I said, I've seen 'brand new' Superior stuff (Ricochet, Last Ninja 2, Pipeline) go for 1p! I've never seen Sim City come up though and maybe a nice new Exile or Elite would be worth it. Shame Repton Infinity is sold out. Oh I don't know... if they did a half price sale or something I'd probably get them but just Elite, Exile and Sim City would be almost £40 so waiting for them to come up with an Elk and a pile of other stuff on ebay still seems the best option...

I wonder why there's no PIAS 18 on there - they must have hardly made any at alll if they sold out...

Who submits the cover images here? Would it be worth completing the collection by getting PIAS 17 new?
Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius »

retro_junkie wrote:I'd probably get them but just Elite, Exile and Sim City would be almost £40 so waiting for them to come up with an Elk and a pile of other stuff on ebay still seems the best option...
If you buy 2 games then the 3rd is free. So you could buy all 3 for just £29.95

www.retronorth.co.uk

Tickets Sold out
Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius »

MegatronUK wrote:My word!... £20 for a 3.5" of Beeb games :shock: I wonder how many they actually sell at those prices!

BTW, are these fully boxed/packaged retail versions (Elite, Exile, Repton etc..)? A brand new boxed Elite or Exile may be worth it... but the price for the rest is, IMO, way over the top.
Yup. I have bought a few titles. They are brand new, fully boxed with inserts, instructions etc.

www.retronorth.co.uk

Tickets Sold out
Samwise
Site Admin

Post by Samwise »

I have a photocopied advert here for a BMC Play It Again Sam 18 disc-only release which consisted of:

Holed Out!
E-Type
Citadel 2
Nevryon

wonder why that's not on the latest list?

Sam.
retro_junkie

Post by retro_junkie »

retro_junkie wrote:I wonder why there's no PIAS 18 on there - they must have hardly made any at alll if they sold out...
samwise wrote:I have a photocopied advert here for a BMC Play It Again Sam 18 disc-only release which consisted of:

Holed Out!
E-Type
Citadel 2
Nevryon

wonder why that's not on the latest list?

Sam.
:wink:

There's a cover scan of it on this site - the only place I've ever seen it!
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Lorfarius wrote:
MegatronUK wrote:My word!... £20 for a 3.5" of Beeb games :shock: I wonder how many they actually sell at those prices!

Yup. I have bought a few titles. They are brand new, fully boxed with inserts, instructions etc.
In that case, then it would be worth it for the combined B/Master/Tube version of Elite, what with all the keyboard inserts, ship-id poster, novella, instructions etc.... unless the Superior re-release of Elite didn't have those items that the original black-box release did - anyone know?
Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius »

In that case, then it would be worth it for the combined B/Master/Tube version of Elite, what with all the keyboard inserts, ship-id poster, novella, instructions etc.... unless the Superior re-release of Elite didn't have those items that the original black-box release did - anyone know?
The Elite version from Superior only comes with the manual as its a later release. You would have to buy the bix box Acornsoft one for all the other stuff :(

www.retronorth.co.uk

Tickets Sold out
MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK »

Lorfarius wrote:

The Elite version from Superior only comes with the manual as its a later release. You would have to buy the bix box Acornsoft one for all the other stuff :(
Then in that case, IMHO, it's not worth it for just a box, disc and manual.
Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius »

MegatronUK wrote:
Lorfarius wrote:

Then in that case, IMHO, it's not worth it for just a box, disc and manual.
If you just want to play the game then its a bargain. Ive seen one go for £25 on Ebay recently so you can always make a profit on it. However if you want it for collection purposes (like me I have to admit) then its better going for the original. Horses for courses and all that.

www.retronorth.co.uk

Tickets Sold out

Return to “8-bit acorn software: classic games”